Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#153478 03/14/09 07:08 AM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
We have added a new member to our family, Jacub. We've had him a few weeks and I'm glad we got him. With Trump gone, it seemed so empty and my hubby was having a worse time than me. So, I decided let's go look and if you see one you like, we may just get him. It was love at first sight. He and Mark took to each other (and are together all the time doing their thing--riding to the co-op, walking around the pond, going to the Bank (oh yes, they give him doggie treats there), etc. etc.) As hard as it was losing Trump, getting Jacub for us, especially Mark, was the right thing to do--they needed each other and Mark has fueled his attention to Jacub. He's just a LITTLE spoiled. Here's some pictures. So, be ready, any pond pictures I post will have our new puppy in view. \:\) He's a cutie. dot

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
\:\) \:\)
Welcome to Pond Boss, Jacub!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nothing like a full stomach and a nap.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
He models well for pics.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What kind of dog is he?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Good looking puppy, now you can teach him how to fetch, (fish).

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks y'all! He's a Rottweiller. We will start training him tomorrow with Petsafe flags and collar. He will have the run of the pond just like Trump did (about 5 acreas total). I may have mentioned this back when but Trump was trained that when I said "Dead Fish, Get it Out" he knew there was a dead fish and immediately came over and got it out. But, he was that way with his swimming pool--didn't like anything floating in it so I think maybe that is why he caught on. We're hoping that we can train Jacub to sit quietly next to us when we fish (good luck, right). Trump would steal the fish off our line or we had to throw rocks in the pond get him to swim out and reel the fish in quick. Other than that, tie him up where he could watch but not partake and he would cry like a baby. Twice Trump stole two sizeable bass from my hubby and he was chasing Trump around the yard to no avail. So, we're going to start early with Jacub --not sure what method...any of you have ideas of how to be able to fish and not have them steal your fish or go after your bobbers and hooks etc.?? I'm open to suggestions here as we're going to have to get this understanding accomplished pretty quick (it's almost fishing time--yippie!)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
He's a doll, my pup is 10 months old now and long ago stole my heart!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Man he is adorable! I'm so glad you got another one!

Cheers!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

They have a way of doing that don't they!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Welcome back, Cecil!

We missed you. Moderating wasn't the same without you ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Welcome back, Cecil!

We missed you. Moderating wasn't the same without you ;\)

I did my best to keep 'em busy, Cecil. I just don't have "the touch".
-
-
I showed Donna-ski the pic of Jacub. She reached out to pet the screen.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Sometimes I still wanna choke the snot out of her though... Can't wait to do some hunting with her next year though.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Welcome Cecil and thanks to y'all for the support. It just won't be the same without Trump; but Jacub has added his own little 'gleam' to our lives. He's learning fast, Mark is teaching him the Petsafe lines (gosh, you feel stupid but they do know what you're doing, he wouldn't cross it when I did). I tell him 'Give me 5' and up goes the paw in my hand--too cute. He's learning fast, this weekend I will start the 'heel'--i think he will learn this, Trump never did--he always led. Jacub has already found the Pond and always wants to go in it, we let him drink from it but NOT letting him totally in it yet--he's SO little still. The pond jus wouldn't be the same without the enjoyment of our pet; Mark associated the pond with Trump and this was very difficult for him -- Jacub has renewed his interest in the pond. Never easy, never easy. Trump oversees the pond and we are making a round lily bed where he lies. Jacub says 'Hello'!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Sometimes I still wanna choke the snot out of her though... Can't wait to do some hunting with her next year though.

Well yeah they are still dogs and dogs will be dogs!

Case in point: I was headed out the door to feed the fish with fish feed in hand in a couple of tubs and the dog on the lease. The killdeers have showed up and she spotted one on the way out, and just about yanked my arm off. Good thing I have a tether around my wrist or the dog and lease would have been gone. Unfortunately the feed when flying! But you know what? She's a dog and she really has no idea what she did.

I have her trained to sit before the lease goes on and before it comes back off in the house. However seeing that bird hopping along seductively once I opened the door was too much! She hasn't realized yet they have a distinct advantage with those wings!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/20/09 08:00 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
Welcome Cecil and thanks to y'all for the support. It just won't be the same without Trump; but Jacub has added his own little 'gleam' to our lives. He's learning fast, Mark is teaching him the Petsafe lines (gosh, you feel stupid but they do know what you're doing, he wouldn't cross it when I did). I tell him 'Give me 5' and up goes the paw in my hand--too cute. He's learning fast, this weekend I will start the 'heel'--i think he will learn this, Trump never did--he always led. Jacub has already found the Pond and always wants to go in it, we let him drink from it but NOT letting him totally in it yet--he's SO little still. The pond jus wouldn't be the same without the enjoyment of our pet; Mark associated the pond with Trump and this was very difficult for him -- Jacub has renewed his interest in the pond. Never easy, never easy. Trump oversees the pond and we are making a round lily bed where he lies. Jacub says 'Hello'!

Believe me I know what you're saying about it not being the same without Trump.

Not sure if I'm repeating myself but a friend eloquently put it this way. He says a new dog will never replace that place in your heart of your former dog. However the new one simply takes up another place in your heart. To show you what an understanding person and dog lover my friend is, when I emailed him and told him Sandy was gone he said his keyboard was getting wet with tears. He didn't know her that well but he could relate with his own experience. This friend also lost his only son in a car accident. I can't even imagine dealing with that!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
Jacub has already found the Pond and always wants to go in it, we let him drink from it but NOT letting him totally in it yet--he's SO little still.

A pup is never to young to swim! As long as the water isn't too cold, he'll be OK... I had my pup in the water and swimming at 8 weeks...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
CJB,

You slave driver!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Now I can't keep her out of the water. She was breaking ice two weeks ago and today she was swimming in 48 degree water. But I guess that is what labs do...

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Neat. I just didn't realize they swim so soon. When we had Trump we didn't have the pond until 3 years ago. With Jacub, I'm like 'No, don't go in there, you'll drown!' but seeing your pictures makes me realize, let him go so this weekend when I'm putting the feeder out, I'll see what he does. I worry about the big snapper turtles maybe getting a bite on him. On the flip side, fence training is going well.

Jacub did see geese; I thin the lease will fly when she gets bigger as I'm hopeful he'll be chasing them away. \:\) We saw one pond a few weeks back that must have had over 1,000 of them--literally--all over the place (poop city).

CJB, what is it your puppy was floating with--he looks like he was enjoying it! I'll have to find something that floats for Jacub to fetch.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My new dog that isn't much older than a puppy hasn't figured out yet that birds have a distinct advantage with those wings. The Killdeers that have just arrived are driving her crazy! LOL

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Funny watching a hunting dog chase birds until they finally get out of puppy stupidity and stop it. My dog loved the low flying mockingbirds.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My previous dog learned it was futile to chase the geese as they just got into the water and swam to the other side of the pond. That all changed however when I put a pier completely across the pond and the dog and I could get too close for comfort. Now they get frustrated and fly away.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/22/09 08:47 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Here in Urban Stepfordville Lake Subdivison we solved our goose problem in the following way:
1. For several years we partnered with the DNR to have a goose round up, they would take them away and change their flight pattern.
2. Partnered with the police dept: residents call a designated goosebuster, he came with a shotgun, called the police to tell them he will be shooting, shoots over their heads, they fly away, he goes to the next lake they went to, shoots again. When done shooting, he calls the police and tells them he is done.
3. LakeChair Girlfriend found little gun launcher pistols,
it is working really good. Now the guys don't have to clean those shotguns all the time, and they don't disturb residents by walking around here with real guns!

We don't have a way to deal with the ducks though, they are protected. We discourage feeding songbirds on the lakesides of homes as the food that falls to the ground attracts the ducks. We also encourage people with fruit bearing trees to spray them with retardant spray - less food, less ducks.

ANY OTHER IDEAS FOR THE DUCKS?

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 03/22/09 08:05 AM. Reason: This crazy guys does walk around with real guns

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There is a product that one of the Pond Boss advertisers sells that is a light that flashes every so often. It will either float or you can put in on the bank of the pond. The theory is that it disturbes the sleeping pattern of the duck and they will go else where to find some rest and relaxation. After reading the link I see that the target of the product is Geese. Would it work for a duck as well?

Found the link Away with Geese.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!