Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Clark:
Man, how old do I sound? I'll be 42 in March...stick a fork in me, cause I'm done.
Matt,

The best is yet to be, my friend. \:\)

Yesterday, I spent the day scouting a small East Texas high school basketball tournament for my son-in-law who is an aspiring head coach. The grandkids and daughter joined me in the evening for our son's team game. Life gets better and better...enjoy each moment of the journey.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm 42 also.

If you add together the age of all three personalities, Theo is 159.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
You slay me!
\:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D :p

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
U
OP Offline
U
Boy oh boy! This thread is fun to read. I see lots of experience talking here. I do agree that there's a trade off with time when digging your pond doing the bit by bit on weekend and what not but that's just how it has to be for me, it's not by choice unfortunately.

My priorities with spending large amounts of money is on a place to live in out there before a pond so we may be able to enjoy the pond while we are there. And anyone knows the cost of digging out a septic is 5 grand at least and excavating an area to build on, well it all adds up. I was a heavy equipment mechanic when I was in the airforce but now I work on the computer networks (step up or down?) so I am aware of the maintenance that goes with equipment but most of it will be done by me. So the backhoe in this case should pay for itself and in the meantime I want to start to dig a pond out and clear the drainage ditches.

I figure that one day (when I can afford it) I'll hire out to do some pond digs on the property but for now I have to tinker on it myself. But like I mentioned I have a neighbor who is a retired excavator with a dozer, a drag line and a backhoe in his possesion and he can literally drive that right over!

As far as activities that my daughter may be involve with, that will be priority number one. She has me wrapped around her finger already! I remember the first time I heard that I was having a baby girl looking at the ultrasound. My heart (I hate to say this) literally sank. I didn't know what I was going to do with a girl. I always had male dogs and hung out with my nephews more than my neices and just assumed I'd have a boy so I can take him hunting and camping...

Even at the baby shower opening up the gifts and holding up the "fufu" pink dresses I was like, "God, help me!". But from the moment she was born she owned me. I wouldn't have traded her for a boy at the moment for all the money in the world or a 50 acre pond! I love to dress her, I love to feed her, I love to sing to her and I love to make her laugh! She gave me a new meaning to life and I want her to have EVERYTHING that I never did or could have. I now want another baby for her to grow up with and I don't care if it will be a girl or boy. Don't mean to be sappy but that's how I feel.

Really, you don't know the feeling until you have a baby of your own and I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you didn't know already. So back to the main point...

Hence this property will be created and worked on so my children can enjoy it and their children too. \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Many times, you have to look at your pond/property (as well as other things) as a legacy. When doing so, I believe you are more inclined to do things right even if it doesn't make the most economic sense.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sunil...
A powerful statement bundled up tight in a fistful of words. Well put.
My wife and I have no children. At 47 years of age, there are none planned. This was a conscious decision. As a result, my middle class income stature is a bit more flexible and has allowed me a few more luxuries than a family man, tho they are always achieved with dirt under my fingernails. Because we have no kids, our motivation is a bit more spiritual. We are driven to give back to Mother nature and the God that gave us this opportunity. This will be our legacy. If you knew me 20 years ago when I was a fist-fighting bar-room brawler, smart-ass joke machine, don't give a damn party boy, none of this destiny could have made sense. Now I'm so clean that I squeek and life has a different meaning. Kinda funny, my wife's life has similar background, sans the bar-room thing.
When we started this pond thing, fish weren't even in the picture. Then it became apparent that if we're gonna spend the dough to create a magnificent water feature, a few more twists and $ input gets you a a good fish habitat. To me, the potential R.O.I. will pay for itself in the value of the project. This doesn't even consider it's value as a wildlife and nature preserve. I can just walk tree-to-tree in zero degree weather and "get right" with the man; nothing much comforts me more. (maybe I should approach the networks to develop a TV show and call it "My name is Brettski")
Thanks for listenin'....Earl

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Brettski,

I sent you an email.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Brettski :

Just as Sunil's words were apt so to were yours below . I am sure you know just how much so as the feeling is obvious. This is as it should be and many enjoy the same emotion . \:\) Thanks for the reminder.

"I can just walk tree-to-tree in zero degree weather and "get right" with the man; nothing much comforts me more."

"Getting right with the man" is the essence of life and has many aspects which leed us to positive change and growth. The pond , woods or land are a good place to let your soul calm from the hectic pace of life and get back in touch with "the Man" .

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Amen, Ewest....and thanks!
Speaking of wandering tree-to-tree, we are heading to the airport for a flight to Boise, ID to visit my bro and his family and my Pa (Ma passed 7 years ago, but she'll be there). I can't wait to head straight uphill to God's country and breath the clean air. See ya'll in 4 days.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build