Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (bmicek, Fishingadventure, esshup, anthropic, 4CornersPuddle, gautprod, FishinRod), 1,192 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151923 03/04/09 02:31 AM
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I was wondering if the CNBG in my new pond have started to spawn yet.

Then I kept thinking, I wonder when many kinds of fish spawn.

So do we have an archive thread or good thread of spawning temps and times for the main kinds of fish used by PB'ers? (maybe this can be it)

Pretty much I am looking for a nice little table or chart or listing of spawning temp and time of fish. I know this can change based on location, but is there an umbrella answer?

Interested in FHM, Bass, BG/CNBG, Gshiners, Tilapia & Shad (even though I know the answers to those), etc.

I know Gshiners only spawn once in the spring, but not the temp
Many of the forage fish start at a certain temp and spawn untill water temps go back down in the fall. Just need some help filling in the blanks. Feel free to add any kind of fish you wish to the list.

As always thanks for the help

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'll see if I can break it down for you...

FHM are mature at about 1 year of age. FHM will start spawning when the temps warm to the low 60's and will continue to spawn until the temps reach the upper 80's. Many times in the fall they will spawn again as the temps drop back into the 80's. They lay there rather large yellowish orange eggs on the underside of hard objects. Males provide protection to the eggs guarding about an 18" area around the nest. Fecundity is 6,800-10,200 eggs per female.

GSH are mature at between 1 and 2 years of age. GSH will start spawning when water temps warm to about 60 degrees and will continue to spawn until water temps reach about 85. This is usually from about April until October here in VA but will vary in other parts of the country. GSH are scatter spawners and do not construct nests. They simple lay their eggs most often on vegetation but also gravel and some have reports even in other fish's nests. Fecundity is approximately 200,000 eggs per female but varies with size.

LMB mature between 2 and 4 years of age. LMB spawn in waters that are 60 to 75 degrees. This usually works out to April to May here in VA but will vary throughout the country. LMB prefer to spawn over fine gravel, but are able to spawn on nearly any substrate from hard clay to sand. Male LMB construct nests that they defended and then attempt to attract ripe females to spawn with them. There are often eggs from several females found in a single LMB nest. Fecundity is 17,500-21,700 eggs per female, again depending on the size of the female. Once the eggs hatch, the fry are guarded by the male until they are free swimming and about an inch in length at which point they break from the school and strike out on their own.

SMB mature between 2 and 4 years of age. They spawn in temps between 60 and 72 degrees. They prefer to spawn over course gravel with larger rocks and logs often used to protect the "rear" of the nest. Much like the LMB, the male SMB constructs a nests and attracts ripe females to spawn with him. The male SMB then defends the nest and fry when born. Fecundity is 2,600-27,700 eggs per female, again depending on size.

BG mature between 1 and 2 years of age. They start spawning at about 68 degrees and as long as temperatures do not climb much past 80 degrees will continue to spawn into the summer. BG are communal spawners with many males constructing nests in close proximate to each other. Males construct the nests in gravel, sand or clay and then attract ripe females to their nests. An interesting behavior are what is know as satellite males. These small males will take on a female coloration and when the dominate male is not paying attention will sneak onto the next and drop milt of his own and will sometime even fool the dominate male into thinking he is a female and be allowed onto the nest that way. Fecundity is approximately 5,000 to over 100,000 eggs per female depending again on size.

RES spawn much the same way BG do, except they rarely spawn more than once a year which is when water temps reach 68 to 72 degrees.

BCP mature as 2 to 3 years of age. They spawn in the spring at temps between 59 and 68 degrees. The males like others in the sunfish family builds a nest. Usually in areas of sand, but also gravel and clay. Like BG they are communal spawners. BCP often nest near vegetation. Fecundity is 11,000-188,000 eggs per female, dependent on size.

CC mature at 2-4 years. They spawn in water temps between 69 and 86 degrees. Males select protected cavities where the attract females to lay their eggs. The eggs are very large and a yellowish in color. Males and sometimes females protect the spawning cavity. When the eggs hatch the male protects the fry. Once the fry absorb the yolk are are capable of swimming, the male "herds" them around in a tight school protecting them until they are often 2 or more inches in size.

Threadfin shad reach maturity at 1 year. They begin spawning in water temps of about 66 degrees and will continue to spawn until temps reach about 80 degrees. Large groups of shad will group together where males will chase one or two females into shallows as the females releases there eggs the males release their milt. The eggs then sink, attaching to vegetation, gravel and other hard surfaces. Fecundity of females can range for

Gizzard shad reach maturity at 1 to 3 years with 2 being most common. They start spawning at about 60 degrees with peak spawning occurring at about 66 degrees. Spawning usually occurs in the evening and night when large groups of fish dominated by males splash about the surface releasing eggs and milt. The fertilized eggs then settle to the bottom where they attach to vegetation, gravel and other objects. Fecundity is 22,400-543,900 eggs per female depending on size.

Tilapia often mature at less than 1 year. They begin spawning at temps above about 80 degrees. They are mouth brooders in which the male creates a nest. The females lays her eggs, the male fertilizes them and them collects them in his mouth. Fecundity is about 300-1500 but survival is very high compared to other spawning methods do to the high amount of parental care. The eggs hatch and the male will continue to hold the fry in his mouth. Tilapia also have multiple spawning session per year but maybe limited to this in northern climates where water temps drop back below their preferred temps.

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Great post CJBS, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Get out and fish.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks and that is good GENERAL INFO. Much of the info depends on location. For example most of those species are reproductively mature at 1 year or less in the South while in the North it may take 3 years. Keep in mind that fish adapt to conditions in order to survive as a species in that environment so much depends on the weather and water conditions.

It looks like some of that info came from EFish.

This is a good place to gather the info for transfer to the archivers. Here is some more.

Threadfin shad spawn starting at 67 to 70 ºF (19 to 21 ºC) and broadcast adhesive eggs over vegetation and woody debris. Prolific spawners, shad mature in less than 1 year and produce large quantities of eggs. The length of the spawning season is variable and spawning can occur over a broad temperature range. Threadfin begin spawning when water temperatures reach 65° to 70° F with peak spawning occurring at 75° F. Spawning has been documented from April to mid-September. Early fall spawners are typically fry that were hatched during spring spawning. Spawning mortality of adults maybe responsible for the short (1 to 2 years) life span. Spawning occurs along the shoreline on submerged vegetation. Spawning habitat such as broken hay bales (6- inch layers) or Spanish moss mats should be provided. Spawning activity usually occurs around daylight. Several fish farmers have successfully transported the eggs (attached to the spawning surface) to clean fertilized ponds for grow-out purposes. The fertilized eggs normally hatch in 3 to 5 days at 70° to 80° F.

Tilapia is the generic name of a group of cichlids endemic to Africa. The group consists of three aquaculturally important genera Ð Oreochromis, Sarotherodon and Tilapia. Several characteristics distinguish these three genera, but possibly the most critical relates to reproductive behavior. All tilapia species are nest builders; fertilized eggs are guarded in the nest by a brood parent. Species of both Sarotherodon and Oreochromis are mouth brooders; eggs are fertilized in the nest but parents immediately pick up the eggs in their mouths and hold them through incubation and for several days after hatching. In Oreochromis species only females practice mouth brooding, while in Sarotherodon species either the male or both male and female are mouth brooders. The number of eggs that can be reared (typically 300 to 1,200 per clutch) is limited by the size of the female’s mouth. Thus, although they spawn frequently, relatively few offspring are produced at one time. Reproduction is best at water temperatures higher than 80o F and does not occur below 68o F. In subtropical regions with a cool season, the number of fry produced will decrease when daily water temperature averages less than 75o F. After 16- to 20- day spawning cycles with 1/2-pound Nile tilapia, fry recovery was about 600 fry per female brooder at a water temperature of 82o F, but only 250 fry per female at 75o F. Optimal water temperature for tilapia growth is about 85 to 88o F. Growth at this optimal temperature is typically three times greater than at 72o F. Sexual maturity in tilapia is a function of age, size and environmental conditions. The Mozambique tilapia reaches sexual maturity at a smaller size and younger age than the Nile and Blue tilapias. Tilapia populations in large lakes mature at a later age and larger size than the same species raised in small farm ponds. For example, the Nile tilapia matures at about 10 to 12 months and 3/4 to 1 pound (350 to 500 grams) in several East African lakes. Under good growth conditions this same species will reach sexual maturity in farm ponds at an age of 5 to 6 months and 5 to 7 ounces (150 to 200 grams). When growth is slow, sexual maturity in Nile tilapia is delayed a month or two but stunted fish may spawn at a weight of less than 1 ounce (20 grams). Under good growing conditions in ponds, the Mozambique tilapia may reach sexual maturity in as little as 3 months of age, when they seldom weigh more than 2 to 4 ounces (60 to 100 grams). In poorly fertilized ponds sexually mature Mozambique tilapia may be as small as 1/2 ounce (15 grams).

Last edited by ewest; 03/04/09 02:29 PM.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Great info. However on lmb it states 2-4 years of age before sexually mature. Rarely have I not seen bass reproduce the spring after stocking as fingerlings. Up north sure it might take 2-3 years but nearly 100% of time it bass spawn at on year of age anywhre south of Kentucky, except maybe blueridge moutains.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Even "up NORT" (that's a typed version of a Minnesooooota accent, in case you didn't know), the LMB occasionally spawn at age 1, and almost always spawn at age 2. That would especially be true in newly stocked ponds. I guess that in high density, slowing growing (stunted) populations, they might not reproduce until 3, but 4 would really be old.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yep in that new pond many things happen fast. They rush to fill it up ASAP. That is why in new southern ponds carrying capacity is usually reached in 18 to 24 mths. From there on its about managing the populations size and # structure.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Dave I got the reference. I love the movie FARGO. Glad to see I was not off base on my comments.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg, I first saw that movie at an afternoon matinee. The audience was mostly older, with me being "young." I was nearly rolling on the ground with the black humor, and often, my wife and I were the only ones laughing. Some of those folks did not really see the humor, but it was great.

By the way, when have you ever been off base?? \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Here's what we have so far, please fill in what you know. Maybe someone should combine CC and Eric's writeup's and wiki them.

Fish ~Spawning Temp ~Fecundity

BG 68 - 80 5,000 - 100,000
CC 69 - 86
FHM 61 - 64 6,800 - 10,200
GS 60 - 68 22,400 - 543,900
GSH 60 - 85 200,000
LMB 60 - 75 17,500 - 21,700
RES 68 - 72 5,000 - 100, 000
SMB 60 - 72 2,600 - 27,700
Tilapia 80 300 - 1500
TFS 66 - 80

EDIT: The forum software mangled my attempt to make a chart, so now I know why nobody has done it yet. \:\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I sure hope my bass that were stocked in Aug. as fingerlings, spawn or I will have to catch and cull about 5 million bluegill. I am leaving now to get some gravel to help nudge them along.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
The forum software mangled my attempt to make a chart, so now I know why nobody has done it yet. \:\)

This is the best I can do with time available.

FISH...........~Spawning Temp.........~Fecundity

BG..............68 - 80................5,000 - 100,000
CC..............69 - 86
FHM............61 - 64................6,800 - 10,200
GS..............60 - 68................22,400 - 543,900
GSH............60 - 85................200,000
LMB............60 - 75................17,500 - 21,700
RES.............68 - 72................5,000 - 100, 000
SMB............60 - 72................2,600 - 27,700
Tilapia.........80.....................300 - 1500
TFS............66 - 80

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM