Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Theo Gallus, nvcdl, bmicek), 1,113 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#149205 02/14/09 06:44 PM
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Sorry guys, but im a sucker when it comes to beating a dead horse.

I know about the issue of catchability of Fla LMB. I have also heard from some that have Fla LMB that the use of live bait greatly reduces this problem. I would like to hear from others that have Fla lmb, and their opinion of lmb on live bait. As the time comes closer for me to pick the bass for my new pond the idea for 5-6lb "catchable" bass is growing on me over the idea of 10+lb fish that are "uncatchable", trained, resistant, or whatever you wanna call it.

I accept the idea that Fla lmb of all sizes are more weary of what they eat, and the bigger any bass is, the pickier it becomes.

I have never used live bait for LMB but have no problem with it, if the fish will bite. Those of you that have, would you be will to let us in on your secrets.

So, does the use of live bait for Fla lmb, in your experience yield enough catches per trip to the pond. I am looking for 1-3 fish per hour (only fish over 12in. qualify), with some nice BG catches thrown in. Does this sound possible with fla bass and live bait. Or in a pond thats half F1 half Fla.

Thanks, Jake.

Get out and fish.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What about some of all 3 - Flas , Nort and F-1s ?

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
That is most likely what I will use, Im just asking sort of a "what if" question.

Get out and fish.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
jakeb,

I don't have much experience with FLA LMB, but I'd guess that 1-3 catches per hour with live bait is doable.

I use live bait and artificals in both freshwater and saltwater. Throwing artificals is more "sporty," but live bait almost always outfishes lures. The exception is when you have a lucky day and get into a lot of fish that are feeding heavily. On those days, you can throw anything and there isn't much difference between live bait and artificals.

For LMB and CCs, I've used shad, bluegill, yoy LMB, and shiners for bait. All have worked well.

Tying on a lure is easier than catching live bait and keeping it alive, but they both work. My guess is that you'd have higher catch rates for FL LMB with live bait.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Guys and gals that fish live bait and worms are weenies .....
\:\( ... ... \:D .... :o... \:\/ ... : ... ;\) :whistle...

OOPS ... I feel a moderation a brewing ....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Using live bait (big shiners) for large Fla LMB is very common with Fla guides.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Using live bait (big shiners) for large Fla LMB is very common with Fla guides.

OK for guides or fishery pros - they don't produce - they don't eat... \:\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: george1

Yup...just call me a fish-catchin weenie!

In my humble and unseasoned opinion, they both have their place. If I'm looking to eat or aggressively cull, I've been known to use live bait. The vast majority of the time, I use artificials. It's all about your goals...

;\)

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
When the Florida "big bass boom" started about 20 years ago, everybody was using 8+ inch shiners.

Know why Bass Tournaments don't allow live bait? It ain't fair. Just too durn effective.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: davatsa

Yup...just call me a fish-catchin weenie!

In my humble and unseasoned opinion, they both have their place. If I'm looking to eat or aggressively cull, I've been known to use live bait. The vast majority of the time, I use artificials. It's all about your goals...
;\)

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
When the Florida "big bass boom" started about 20 years ago, everybody was using 8+ inch shiners.

Know why Bass Tournaments don't allow live bait? It ain't fair. Just too durn effective.

And it is boring ...
I enjoy the C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E ...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I am both a worm and a weenie.

Live bait all the way!!!!!!!!!

While I agree with george that there is more of a 'challenge' with lures or flies, I have no interest in that challenge. I know I can catch fish with a lure or a fly, but I am not interested in that.

I find my sampling of my pond to be more effective using live bait being shiners or fatheads.

This year, I'm going to live-line some bluegills or smaller lmb or YP and see how that goes.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
And it is boring ...
I enjoy the C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E ... Well said, Mr. panty hose pellet fly man. \:D

Last edited by burgermeister; 02/16/09 10:46 AM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've only tried live minnows once on my pond. I used shiners of some sort. they were about 2-3 inches. I caught a bunch of HBG a catfish and a small LMB. I finally switched to artificials and started catching a lot more LMB. Artificial lures outfished the live minnows by quite a bit when targeting LMB.

For variety I guess they work pretty good. I pretty much caught every kind of fish in the pond while using minnows.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Smaller minnows (FH or Shiners) will enable the smaller fish obviously, but it's odd how you can still catch a big fish on a 1.5" minnow.

There is a laziness aspect to be considered. You know, having a free hand(s) for a beer and a smoke.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
And it is boring ...
I enjoy the C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E ... Well said, Mr. panty hose pellet fly man. \:D
Cecil says that's OK .... since it's artificial ...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
For Fla or native LMB, I like to use artificial, and if they're not biting, I fall back to minnows or small BG. Live always works best. Having said that, I have a much better strike-to-landed ratio with artificial. I lose 25-35% with live bait and only 10-15% with artificial. I guess I need to be more patient with live and count to 3 before setting the hook.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Why is it ..... that when you're not in a "fish-cleaning" mood they are always biting like crazy ................ but you want fresh fish for dinner......not the least bit hungry.

Ya know......I would pay another $5/bag if Aquamax 600 would stay on my hook! \:\)

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I supposedly have 3 large female Florida bass in my pond. Have caught just one of them and that was on a 10" plastic worm. A number of times, I have experienced very large fish take a BG I'm reeling in for a quick & bumpy ride before the mystery fish releases it.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Fishing small bodies of water with live bait is acceptable, but two words of caution. First, don't use bait you do not want established in your waterbody. If you do not want shiners, use bream species already present. Largemouth Bass don't always catch their prey, but they may knock it off the hook. Secondly, be sure to not allow the bass to swallow the shiner, or whatever bait you use, as hooking mortality increases exponentially with live bait use on LMB's. I also recommend using circle hooks with live bait for LMB as apposed to the traditional long shanked shiner hooks. This helps reduce gut hooking. Gut hooking also holds true for plastic worms and bed fishing.

Good luck and have fun!

Scott Brown
Southern Sportsman Aquatics & Land Management
Allen, Texas
(214) 383 - 3223
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks S Brown, where do you prefer to hook the BG/Shiner? Any other secrets such as line test hook size etc? Anyone can answer BTW

Thanks all

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
As far as where to hook the BG/shiner, it depends on what style you are presenting the bait. Under a float, I like to hook it directly behind the dorsal fin most of the time and occasionally through the meat just in front of the tail. If I fish the bait on a jig of free lining it, I like to hook it through the lips. If I am fishing it off the bottom I usually hook it through the meat in front of the tail most of the time and sometime through the lips.

As far as line test, hook size, etc... Much of that depends on the location you are fishing and the expected size fish you are hoping to catch. If I am fishing areas with a lot of structure or weeds and there is a high risk of the fishing getting into that and breaking off I increase line test. I am a a big of braided super line with a 4-6 foot leader of florocarbon. Hook size is really dependent on bait size... But if you're using big GSH or BG for bait, 2/0 or even 4/0 is reasonable.

My preferred method for FL LMB fishing down south when using live bait is the balloon rig method. Using large GSH, you can work pockets in the weed cover of your pond or lake. Depend on water depth, I like the GSH about half way off the bottom. So tie the blown up balloon with a slip knot. just below that, I tie the braided line to a swivel. To the other end of the swivel I tie to leader of florocarbon. I then tie on a 2/0 to 4/0 circle hook. I then hook the GSH just behind the dorsal fin. Pretty simple set up... Toss the large GSH into the pocket and hang on!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
OK, I concede but don’t surrender the concept of “sport fishing” vs. meat fishing, but totally agree with Jake on using live bait (BG) on “hard to catch” Florida LMB, but have followed his posts long enough to know that he is capable of catching his trophy LMB whatever his method.
Plugs, lures, flies only adds to the versatility of catching these wily creatures.

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
My preferred method for FL LMB fishing down south when using live bait is the balloon rig method. Using large GSH, you can work pockets in the weed cover of your pond or lake. Depend on water depth, I like the GSH about half way off the bottom. So tie the blown up balloon with a slip knot. just below that, I tie the braided line to a swivel. To the other end of the swivel I tie to leader of florocarbon. I then tie on a 2/0 to 4/0 circle hook. I then hook the GSH just behind the dorsal fin. Pretty simple set up... Toss the large GSH into the pocket and hang on!
CJBS2003, if you got caught using that balloon rig with live bait on Lake Fork or some of our other big bass lakes around here – you would get lynched ...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a common guide method in Fla.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
CJBS2003, if you got caught using that balloon rig with live bait on Lake Fork or some of our other big bass lakes around here – you would get lynched ...

I'm a fast draw and an expert shot... I'd like to see 'em try!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
WOW .... with those credentials I'm sure you would be welcome with open "arms" ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt