Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
The topo maps will help.They will tell you what mother nature has to offer, Keep in mind there are very few perfect sites.

Also look at the other ponds in the area and see how well they hold water. That will give you an idea how well the dirt holds water.

Otto

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
You can also use the topo to determine how much soil will need to be moved to create the dam. Now this is not going to be an exact figure you will need to shoot grade, determine soil types etc, but it will give you a pretty good idea up front of the yardage involved in your early planning and site selection. Example: Most topo's online if not all are based on 10 ft elevations. You can scale the distance across the area you are considering for the dam. Once you have the length determine the cross section of the dam based on the elevations. Once you determine the width of the top of the dam and the side slopes on front and back you take the area of the cross section and multiply it by the length. Then carve out or subtract out the elevation slopes on each side of the valley. You will have a pretty accurate figure on how much dirt will need to be excavated. You can also add in the core trench to the figure to make it even closer.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Hey, been absent for awhile...like the boll weivil tho i am moving to a new home...anyone familiar with belmont county ohio...got 5 acres located and want to build a 2 acre pond....any ideas???

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
Belmont County Ohio is a nice area. Barkcamp State Park is in the center with a 117 acre lake (electric motors only), a peaceful campground, and is a very secenic area. Salt Fork State Park is just west and is Ohio's largest state park. I've caught some quite nice LMB in the early mornings on Salt Fork Lake (just under 3,000 acres). The area is also quite scenic with some nice geographic features.

I am located just northwest of Belmont in Tuscarawas County. I also have 103 acres with a 5 acre lake in Guernsey County (adjacent to Belmont). I often say I like Ohio and the change of seasons, though midway through Winter I sometimes find myself eating those words. Sure enough though, Spring once again arrives and the wintertime blues are quickly replaced by lush green terrain. One plus of the winter season is that it is preceded by autumn colors and when the leaves fall from the trees, the woods open up, revealing many features that would be otherwise remain hidden away.

Wildlife is abundant as well as woodlands and open areas (reclaimed sections from former strip mine operations). The Muskingum Watershed Conservency District lakes are also within an easy drive and offer a variety of fishing and recreational activities. The Ohio River borders eastern Belmont County. Interstate 70 traverses Belmont County for easy east-west access and I-77 is near for north-south travel. For shopping convenience, St. Clairsville offers Ohio Valley Mall with many outlying stores to cover all your shopping needs (but don't fail to pass by the little stores in the little towns too).

Feel free to drop a note if you'd like anything more.

On the topic of "When Buying a Property"...

I spent several years casually searching for property throughout southeast Ohio. My basic desires were for 100 acres with pond potential and a place to eventually retire to, but close enough to home so I could enjoy and develop it as desired. I did a lot of checking through online real estate sites and walked many acres checking out various properties.

I was fortunate. Found 103 acres, 70% wooded, an open meadow (former narrow strip mine area) through the center with a five acre lake (great fishing) - located within 37 miles from my home. Within moments of touching foot on the property, I knew it was the one. Some reflections...

Buying a property with an established pond is a huge plus. Take a fishing pole along and depending on the season you should be able to get a good idea of what is actually there.

My original intention was to find a property and build a pond. With many properties I checked out, I would not only walk and check out geographic features, but also observe adjacent areas to see what water features were nearby - and their quality.

When looking at properties, various state, county and other government agencies can a great resource. I've walked my property with several people (before and after buying) and they have been most helpful. An online search for "Ohio Pond Management Handbook" will yield a great deal of pond info for not only Ohio, but similar areas too.

Don't hesitate to attend any seminars and classes when you find them. The cost is often reasonable and it can be a great opportunity to not only learn, but to network with people having similar interests and to learn from their experiences.

While living in a rural area is great, access to shopping and other conveniences & activities is a big plus. I presently live on the edge of town (part in and part out) with 7 acres and a creek along my property line. My property is about 4 miles from a small city with interstate access. Some properties I've been to were somewhat remote and in retrospect, I would really hate to spend long periods of time on the road just to pick up a small but needed item that I didn't have on hand.

Spend time checking out the property during the day and at night - the sights and sounds can vary. Convenience to transportation can also come with related highway noise. It's nice to hear the howl of a coyote on a distant hill and to be able to talk without being drowned out by a passing vehicle with a loud exhaust. I can see the interstate from a high point in one section of my property and depending on the wind direction, can sometimes hear the highway. I simply allow it to be a reminder of how nice it is to have the convenience of easy travel nearby. The site I have chosen for an eventual homesite is located near the center of the property and is in a level area midway down a hillside. I have a view of the meadow and lake through the edge of the woodline and the high side of the hill lays between the homesite and any possible highway sounds.

Consider the topography and access to various areas of the property. When I first purchased the property, I had a rather long hike to the water. After some work, I now have access to the waterside via my truck with 4wd and after a few more improvements, any vehicle should be able to make it there.

Consider the improvements and maintenance you want to make once you have the property. I'd let the contractors with heavy equipment build the pond and make the big changes (check for references and previous work). For everything else, consider a 4wd compact (or larger) tractor. I have a Kubota 2710 with front end loader, brush hog, box blade, backhoe and other attachments. There is always something needing done and having a piece of equipment to handle it without a lot of manual labor is a huge plus.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by TrueJourney; 05/18/09 12:42 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
TJ Nice post!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
One of the few things that NRCS is good for is answering a question such as yours. The local offices have good topo maps of their area and can advise you on pond feasibility after considering watershed, topography, soil conditions, etc. They also can suggested the best location for the dam, and if you purchase the property, shoot your elevations and compute dirt volume for your dam.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...