Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (lafarmpondguy, Fishingadventure), 644 guests, and 151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146630 01/27/09 02:08 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Has anyone else ever gutted a yellow perch caught beneath the ice to find freshly eaten frogs in the stomach?

I noticed this a few years and it blew me away. The frogs were almost intact and barely digested which led me to believe they were recently eaten. Further, there was 24" of ice and the lake had been locked-up for at least 3 months. I suppose the perch were rooting around the bottom and picking-off the hibernating frogs?? This was observed in several yellow perch that we cleaned. I witnessed this while fishing in SD a few years back.

This topic came up last night in a phone conversation, and I am curious to learn if anyone else has witnessed this. This could very well be a well-known fact, but to me it was a tremendous discovery.

By the way, four of us caught 7 perch that day over 14", two of which are hanging on my wall.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shawn,

I've seen the same in trout. However I have to wonder if digestion is so slow under the ice that it just looks like they were recently eating, and in fact were ingested in the fall?

On the other hand I had some tapoles on top of the ice this winter in my bluegill production pond that were wallowing around in some surface water. I had a partial thaw and they came up for some reason and got trapped on top of the ice. I'm sure the Crows like that.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/27/09 02:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Cecil,

I wondered the exact same thing about the potential for slow digestion. I just plain don't know the answer. All I know is that the frogs would have had to have been in their stomachs for at least 3 months if fall ingestion were the case.

That's interesting about your trout. Same situation?? Fish from under the ice??

-----------------
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My completely non-scientific guess is that they are close to freshly eaten frogs. If they were eaten in the fall, surely they would have gone through some digestive decomposition by the time heavy ice-over happened.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I'm with Sunil. Either they were still alive so as not to decompose or they were very recently eaten.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Shawn, we frequently observe this with walleyes. Can't say that I have seen it or heard of it with perch. The frogs need oxygen over the winter, so we usually have a frog migration right before ice-up. They actually seem to leave some of the smaller marshes and head to the big lakes. The walleyes pound on them, usually beginning in October before ice begins. Interesting that perch had them, although you'd think that if the size was right, the perch would sure take them.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Who'd have thunk it, a prime ice fishing bait... Frogs!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
Cecil,

That's interesting about your trout. Same situation?? Fish from under the ice??

They weren't my trout they were browns in a local natural lake. I caught them in open water in the spring when the lake still had ice on it and the frogs were in their stomachs.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I don't doubt that larger perch eat small frogs during ice cover. Perch are noted for rooting out mayfly larva from the sediments in winter. YP probably eat most anything that wiggles during the sediment rooting. We have even caught perch with a fair amouint of zebra mussels and snails the their gut.

Since YP are quite active during winter I suspect the frogs in the stomach were freshly eaten at least within the last couple days. As active a YP are in winter it does not take long for digestion to occur in YP stomachs. Since frogs have "thin skin" compared to a scaley fish the skin will start digesting pretty fast in a perch's stomach. Shawn what type of frog were they - leopard, cricket or real young bull or green frogs?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/27/09 08:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I just called one of the guys that I was fishing with that day. He was one of Dr. Willis' PhD students. The lake was Reetz lake and Dan told me that he started paying attention to this after we noticed the frogs. He fished the lake many times after, and he frequently observed that perch over 12" had leopard frogs in their stomachs.

Interestingly, this was the only lake that he recalls seeing this. The perch in this lake were specifically managed for trophy fishing, so maybe its related to the size of the fish. Perhaps he didn't see this in other lakes because the perch were smaller and didn't seek the frogs? Or maybe its related to the frog density in this lake? I may never know.

-----------------
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
YP eat heartily on zebra mussels, in the great Lake Erie anyway. We catch a couple hundred each year in 45-65 feet of water and they vomit zebra mussels and their air bladder when you bring them up, proof enough for me. I have even found you increase your strike rate by allowing your bait to lay on the bottom a few seconds at a time allowing the Perch to pick it up off the bottom. We put our fish on ice immediately in a cooler and after cleaning the fish the cooler always has a nice slurry of water, ice, blood, slime, minnow parts, air bladders, and zebra mussels. I dump it in the garden.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I have made a few dozen trips to SD for the yellow perch fishing, but have never cleaned any with frogs in their stomach. Being in the biology field, if I see a fish with an unusually full stomach I have to cut it open. And usually I cut a few stomachs open anyway to see what the fish are eating.

But in those trips we almost never caught any perch over 12-12.5". Actually the only time we have ever caught any perch bigger is the one trip we took to Reetz Lake, the same one Shawn caught his wall hangers at. My best was 13.75" (I wish now that I had mounted it, but want to hold out for a true 2 pounder, which is generally 14"+). We didn't check the stomachs on those fish because we didn't clean them.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 11:48 PM