Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,226 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
It's a sad day in our home; it's too quiet. Creatures of habits--we look to see him, we listen to hear him, we think he's there--but he is not. It will take time for it to sink in; I will think I hear him and call him, but he will not be there. You see, today, my Beloved Dog, Trump, passed on. It tore us up deeply watching him go down the last few months from cancer. He was a strong dog and tried to hide the pain but it soon became unbearable--the signs were there. He was more than just a dog, he was family and we loved him--he watched over us (especially me) and gave us much joy over the past 10 years. I know the pain will subside and we will remember the good times (we have many fond memories and videos). My hubby's face when I got home and looked for Trump said it all. He will be sadly missed but I know he's up there watching over us.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:\(

Last edited by ewest; 01/23/09 08:42 PM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sorry to hear it. I know it's not easy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm so sorry to hear about that.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As you know been there done that recently. I feel terribly for you. Just reading your post brought tears to me eyes. I'm so sorry!

I never shared this with anyone here but a few days after my dog died I saw her in a dream standing on my deck barking at me wagging her tail as if to say, "I'm fine don't worry about me." It was the only dream I've had with her in it. It was brief and then I suddenly woke up. Maybe just a dream, maybe not...

I hope that dream will come to you!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/23/09 09:23 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I went through this in Sept. of '07. My dog looked very much like the dog ewest posted here.

We just moved to the next town over a few weeks back, and when I was the last person at the old house, and it was dark and I was about to leave to spend the first night in the new house, I whistled for K.C. to come. I swear I could hear his collar jingling from a distance coming closer and could smell him as I opened up the back car door for him to jump in.

So sad to hear of your loss.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm so sorry about your loss. Pets are truly part of the family. Grieving helps us keep going, and before you know it, you'll be laughing about the funny or silly things he did.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My heart is heavy, my eyes clouded by tears.
Your loss is great, but Trump is free. Take comfort in this and hold on to those wonderful memories. You will be with Trump again. Trust your faith.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Our heartfelt sympathies are with you. We have felt the grief you do now and understand the love.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
I'm so sorry about your loss. Pets are truly part of the family. Grieving helps us keep going, and before you know it, you'll be laughing about the funny or silly things he did.

Davatsa is right. I was as close to my dog as it gets as we were sole companions during the entire day. The pain does eventually dull and you remember the funny and silly things.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/24/09 02:49 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I understand the depth of the love & the grief. When they enter your life, they fill your heart & become family.

Thinking of you,
Mrs. Mongo

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thank everyone. I know how many of you felt when your pets passed. I'm so upset (and I'm trying not to let my hubby see just how upset I am). Growing up in a large family we had lots of dogs but didn't get attached to them. I had no children of my own and I go so attached to my dog--he was my 'child' in so many ways.
Growing up I never realized how smart a dog could be--to learn and he did things and I would tell Mark and he wouldn't believe me and then he would see Trump do it and say "Wow, he does". He had a certain sound (not a bark) that he always made when he wanted cheese. If we got a treat out the ole fridge in the garage he would literally go to the one he wanted. He had routines, at night my hubby gave him 3 cookies on his doggie mat in the garage, he always let out one little bark after he finished them to let us know he ate them. We always yelled from the bedroom "Good night, Trump". My hubby had a rough day, he had to do all the bad things yesterday that I could not have done--enjoy his dog one last time around the yard and pond; give him his best treats; talk to him; and worst of all bury him with all his toys he enjoyed while on this Earth. I know he had it hardest and he worried about how I would take it; seeing how he took it was bad enough. Not having my dog welcome me home yesterday as he'd done for the past 10 years was bad enought--not having him now is worse. Again, thanks for your hearth-felt comments.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I case you haven't seen it before:

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
- - - - - -Author Unknown - - - - - -

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. For months after we lost our cat I would hear a noise in the house and think "what has Conan got into now" only to realize that he was gone. Losing a pet is a very difficult time and neither you nor your spouse should feel bad about greiving. My heart goes out to you.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
So sorry for your loss. It's tough losing a beloved pet, but it's better to have had one and lost him than to have never had him.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
I'm so upset (and I'm trying not to let my hubby see just how upset I am).

Don't hold it in or try to hide your feelings. It's not healthy. I'm sure you husband doesn't mind, and he's probably more sensitive than you realize. My dad who was a Green Beret in Vietnam and has seen things that would make normal men go crazy is a big, big, softy when it comes to dogs! He cried with me when I lost my dog. He gave me a real big hug when he came down and saw me digging a grave.

A lot of the things you describe about your dog sound very familiar to me!

What helped me is to grieve and give it some time and then when I was ready, I rescued one from the pound.

The new dog will never replace my Sandy but it will take up a different place in my heart. She already is! I think that could apply to you.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/24/09 10:16 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
So sorry for your loss. It's tough losing a beloved pet, but it's better to have had one and lost him than to have never had him.

Yep good ol' Shakespeare applies here. Doesn't seem like it now but it will later.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I know, Cecil. He will forever have a place in my heart. My whole life I was brought up to be strong, growing up with 9 brothers (yep), it was hard not to be. I'll dig up a couple of pics so y'all can see Trump in his glory by/in the pond.Gosh, how he loved that pond and yes, he is buried on a hill where he can forever see it. Again, thank all of you for listening to me, for understanding my pain and loss.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
I know, Cecil. He will forever have a place in my heart. My whole life I was brought up to be strong, growing up with 9 brothers (yep), it was hard not to be. I'll dig up a couple of pics so y'all can see Trump in his glory by/in the pond.Gosh, how he loved that pond and yes, he is buried on a hill where he can forever see it. Again, thank all of you for listening to me, for understanding my pain and loss.

Can't wait to see the pics!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Our deepest sympathies MarkECIN. I know what you mean, I turn to look expecting him to be there but he is not. We love the new puppy but Cycle she is not. Condolences.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I know, appreciated. Here is a picture of my TRUMP (when he was not sick). He always let me know if someone was here day or night, he made me feel so secure. He was a loving and friendly dog we had from 6 weeks old--our home was his castle--he had a good life and I'm glad he chose us! \:\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice! Please hang in there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM