Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (bmicek, Fishingadventure, esshup, anthropic, 4CornersPuddle, gautprod, FishinRod), 1,192 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I agree that multiple small feedings a day are better than two or three large ones. So assuming you could have one of two options which would give what result? Also assume feeder are working properly with less than average maintainence. Both in a larger pond, with bass as the predator.

1: 1 feeder feeding a total of say 5lbs of feed a day spread over many feeding times 6+?

2: 3 feeders feeding a total of 5lbs spread on say 2-3 feeding per feeder. Feeders all go off at the same time.

I would think that the pond with one feeder would produce more trophy size BG/CNBG becuase the largest males and females will "guard" the feeder.

I think that in option 2 would result in a pond heavy with many 6-8inch BG, but fewer trophy size 10in+.

On the other hand I could see option 2 making a pond with LOTS of trophy BG becuase in a big pond they many not travel to the next feeder.

I know both will improve fish quality. And when only feeding 5lbs a day I assume they would have the same effects on water quality.

Another question...in the pond with multiple feeders would you stagger the feeding times? Feeder 1 goes off at 10:00am Feeder 2 goes off at 10:10am, and Feeder 3 goes off 10:20am. I think this would not make a difference because the fish do not travel from one feeder to the next?

Also would one be better for trophy BG or trophy bass?

I know George has looked at this issue as well, and Im not going to argue with the CNBG pics he posts . Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Jake.

Get out and fish.
Lunker
Lunker
IIRC Condello has found big BG eat about 4-5 pellets per feeding session. If you are feeding more than that, I don't think the biggest BG would have anything to guard.

There are also species-dependent pecking orders at feeding time. CC & LMB generally will drive BG away from "prime" feeding areas, IME. Others have reported that BG are more aggressive than YP.

In my mind, the # of feeders to have is dependent on the size of the pond being fed.

Like you, I will defer to george on the basis of his BG are bigger than mine (even though until recently they were just bait). Also Bruce, Ryan Freeze, Catmandoo - the list goes on.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 01/15/09 04:21 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks Theo, wow 4-5 pellets thats not much!

I just used 5lbs/day as an example it could have been any number.

Lets say a pond 3-5 acres, when I mention "large pond".

Also just a pond with Bass, BG, RES, and minnows is being worked with here.

Get out and fish.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree with Theo on the reason's and numbers. One feeder will feed about 3-4 acres of area for BG. So pond size has a lot to do with that. So does feeder placement (best location for BG if that's what you are trying to feed). I think our BG eat more than 5 pellets (AM 500 or smaller) at a feeding if they can but they do IMO grow better with many small feedings. I think I have more competition for pellets than Bruce due to differences in feeding programs and goals.

Every pond population is different. Here is a recent example. About 2 mths ago the BG in 2 ponds slowed eating so much that I turned off the feeders. Water temp was about 53 at the time. However in the third pond the BG kept eating like pigs until last week (last time I checked )when the water temp was about 47. In fact while all 3 ponds had CNBG (George's grand babies) added to the existing population about 3 mths ago the effect on feeding was different in each pond. In the pond where they are still feeding we added 250 3-6 inch CNBG. Their addition must have encouraged the other BG/CNBG to join the feast. I say this because the feeding rate went out the roof. They would eat continuously for 45-60 min as fast as they could. I tried to count (visual and sound)how many strikes per min and there were to many to do so. This does not count those that were quietly eating underwater. My WAG at the number of BG feeding based on pellets put out , time and counting , assuming each BG at 5-10 pellets was 2000 BG+. This would mean that at least 1750 existing BG have joined George's grandbabies as pigs all at water temps where that would not be expected. This feeding behavior has lasted 2 1/2 mths so far. We have never had BG feeding like that in 8 years on 3 ponds. The point is every pond and population acts differently - so it depends.

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Feeder Placement Question.

I am about to set up my new feeder. With the goal of feeding CNBG in my new 5 acre pond.

The first location would be the easiest, right where I pull up to the pond, I could place it where it throws over an area that drops from 3-6+ feet, or a little more left and it would throw over an area of only 2ft. I like this spot because it would be easy to service the feeder, and I could place some dense structure under the feeding area to concentrate BG to this area. The reason why I hesitate is because this is an area where the dozer dug the pond and there is NO growth in this area. Just clay bottom as far as I can see, the only thing about this area that looks like it would hold fish to me is if I placed structure close by to attract them here, until something grows.

The other location would be much harder to service the feeder, but it is over existing algae growth and grass etc. It also has varying depth from 2-6ft but much sharper drop distance. If I was to go fishing it looks much more inviting than the first spot mostly because the plant growth makes it look much more fish friendly. This spot however is in the "neck" of the pond and I dont know how many fish would swim up into the somewhat narrow neck to get feed.

Perhaps I should try it a week in both spots and see if fish show up at either location? Maybe I way overhtinking it but because I only have one feeder on 5 acres I want to get the most fish feeding possible at whatever spot I go with.

Get out and fish.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I would definitely have multiple feeders on a 5 acre pond.
I have three on 2 acres.
I don't want all my fish in one area... \:\)

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Put it at the easy to service location. You don't need cover to feed BG. You could put some small brush (small cedar tree) at the deep edge of the feeding pattern to hold BG and a couple of small brush piles from bank to about 6 ft out - one on each side edge of the feeder pattern.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
jake you need to consider wind direction as well want it pushing food out in pond not back to shore.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks guys, the easy location will have wind pushing feed out 90% of the time. I am also considering building a feeder ring if it gets blown out too fast.

George, more feeders are in the works, budget is not helping

Get out and fish.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Jake I want the food to get pushed around you get better coverage this way. Bluegill do not travel far so the more water you cover the better.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Ok greg thanks, It just so happens that I think it will push feed all the way to the other end of the pond! If it does not get eaten or fall apart on the journey.

Get out and fish.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build