Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
5 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond, 4CornersPuddle, homewardbound), 864 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
I did not stock any of these in my pond 2 years ago, but I have them now. I checked my fish trap this weekend and found a lot of 1" yoy's.

brand new, never before used 1/4 acre pond.
O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
after looking at some of the pic's in the other post I'm going to guess "pure".

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Looks fairly pure to me and very healthy. Did you get any length and weight info?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
No, I didn't get any info. At the time I wasn't very happy that I had GSF in my pond. However I did put it back.

Now that I think about it. I guess Greeny's do get pretty big and they fight like crazy and for that matter I guess they taste good.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Did you buy any fatheads in bulk and stock them? At least one of the suppliers in Arkansas has green sunfish mixed in with their fatheads. That's how I got green sunfish in one of my production ponds that I was using for a holding pond. I also had some sticklebacks mixed in.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
yes, I did buy about 3 lbs of fatheads when I first stocked my pond. That would explain why it was as big as it was.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: okiefish16
At the time I wasn't very happy that I had GSF in my pond. However I did put it back. Now that I think about it. I guess Greeny's do get pretty big and they fight like crazy and for that matter I guess they taste good.

We are so very glad that you saw the light. IMHO pound per pound GSF are one of the best fighting of the sunfish. Most people underestimate the value of the GSF because they haven't grown one to the proper proportions. They neglectfully spend all of their time and resources on BG and RES when in fact they could have the jewel of sunfish in their pond, the mighty and yes spectacular looking GSF.

You are dangerously close to being accepted into the GSA.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That is one nice fat pure blooded green sunfish! Looks like a male as well. Do you have an inlet stream that feeds your pond? Green sunfish are able to navigate some very small streams to get to ponds and such. I am amazed at how small a body of water green sunfish are able to live in...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Green sunfish are able to navigate some very small streams to get to ponds and such. I am amazed at how small a body of water green sunfish are able to live in...

Very astute observation CJ. The reason for this is that, unlike their pampered Bluegill and Redeared cousins, the GSF is a manly fish.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Now don't get all scientific on us, Jeff.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
That is one nice fat pure blooded green sunfish! Looks like a male as well. Do you have an inlet stream that feeds your pond? Green sunfish are able to navigate some very small streams to get to ponds and such. I am amazed at how small a body of water green sunfish are able to live in...

No there is no stream. So, either they were mixed in with the fish I baught or the birds brought them in.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd bet on them being mixed in. I am amazed when I go to pet shops in my area and look at the fish in their tanks. I often see green sunfish mixed in with rosy reds and feeder goldfish. I've seen several species of sunfish mixed in, but mostly greens. Must be cause they are so manly! HAHA

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
This is part our program for world domination. We have people placed in all levels of industry, pet stores, fish farms, bed bath and beyond. No one is out of reach, no one is safe.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think I am gonna have an aquarium dedicated to just pet store rejects... Those poor missed sunfish!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Jeff, as a side note since you are the president of the green sunfish association I have to admit,I myself am actually a green sunfish nut. Have you ever seen an almost all black green sunfish? I wish I had pictures, this summer I will have to take some. But, as I was saying, there is a pond I fish in up in PA, that has green sunfish that are nearly all black but for the edges of their fins. The upper Potomac River in MD/VA area has some huge green sunfish that are also nearly all black, not quite as dark as the ones in the pond I wrote about but way darker than normal...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
No I haven't CJ. The GSF that we have out west (or at least the GSF that DIED and I have) are fairly vivid colors. Do take photos and send them to me sometime, you will be rewarded handsomely for your efforts (not in cash or any other legal tender, we're not BISA after all).

One of the many things that I have learned on this site is that fish can vary drastically in appearance depending upon time of the year, geographic location, temperature of the water, and of course whether or not you bend them like davatsa does.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use