Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12820 08/21/05 11:39 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I have read the many past threads and I would like to stock tilapia in one of my ponds next year. I do not know how to get a hold of them in my area. I live in NE Indiana. If I were to stock a 1 acre pond, at what rate would I stock them at? I would like to make sure that when they die off in the fall that there would not be any damage to my pond from the dieing and decaying fish. Although the catfish would probably be active enough to clean up most of the dead fish. Any information on northern use of tilapia would be helpful. Thank you.

Just another 1 acre hole in the ground...........with fish !!!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
AaronhomeIN,

I can offer a Southerners opinion... \:\)

Stocking rates vary depending on your objectives for them in the first place. Why do you want to stock Tilapia?

If you have significant algae problems and also artificially feed you may want to stock at the high-end rates of 15 to 20 pounds per acre.

If you are looking for good forage for predators, then 5 to 10 pounds per acre is sufficient, in my opinion.

If you just like them and want to observe, 5 pounds is plenty.

If you want them for food, go to your grocery store...they are very hard to catch.

The die off just isn't a big deal especially if you have predators present. LMB and HSB will do a number on the slowed tilapia and make good use of them before dieing. If you do not have predators and experience a sudden drop to 55 degrees and below water temps, then you will see lots of dead fish. However, Nature's clean up crews will quickly avail you of any problems. In my area, in a pond without predators, hundreds maybe thousands of dead Tilapia were consumed within two weeks without any offensive odors or any problems. We even had two America Bald Eagles pay us a visit, which alone was worth the price of the Tilapia.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks ML,

Im planning to get them to work on the little algea that I get. Mainly to observe and experiment with. I do not know as of yet if it is even legal to stock them here. If it is I still have to find someone to supply them once the water warms in the spring. Cecil Baird would probably be the man to ask about someone to supply them in this area.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
AaronhomeIN,

As far as I know it's O.K. to plant them in private ponds now, but I believe they were restricted in the past (something about they might survive in the thermal water of warmwater discharges even in winter which I find hard to believe.)

However,just to be sure I would call one of the following individuals:

Randy Lang - DFW INDNR in Indy 317-232-4080

Dylan Sickles -DFW INDNR Martinsville 765-342-5527

Don't be surprised if they are not up to speed on the use of Talapia for the control of filamentous algae and want to talk you out of it even if they are legal.

Please let me know what you find out and if there are any reliable suppliers for next year.

Here's a link to suppliers in Indiana and out-of-state suppliers that supply Indiana if you don't already have it. I believe there is at least one supplier of talapia.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishing/commfish.htm

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Blue tilapia are the most cold tolerant and hardy species.

However I have found they prefer other foods to algae, like plants, crustaceans and fish food pellets.

They also love bread and yellow sweet corn.

D
D
Here is a post by PO

Quote:
Just wanted to post what I found out about getting tilapia here in Indiana. The Inland Aquatic people kept giving me run around on getting tilapia for me and never would give me any real info I was looking for. So I did as Bill Cody suggested and found a ex hog farmer, who turned the operation into a recirculating aquaculture farm and they raise Nile Tilapia (oreochromis niloticus). Mr Jim Bradley is owner and just spoke to him today. He told me to wait till water gets to about 65 and then I can go get them from him. Said they will be about 1/4 lb and bigger and that he gets almost $2 apiece but would let me have a hundred for $1 apiece. Name of his company is AQUA-MANNA, just northwest if Indianapolis, IND. about 30 miles in Ladoga IND. Now my question is I don't now how this type Tilapia will do on the filamentous algae and how many to put in. My pond is only 1/2 acrer and my brother wants what I don't use for his 10 acrer lake. Aqua-Manna has lot of info about their self on internet. I did a googles search to find them. This was the kind of committmet I was looking for in a supplier, real nice guy.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks David, I will searching for them tomorrow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM