Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS
18,526 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,455
Members18,527
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,602
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Kirrb, esshup, Snipe, Bobbss, Layne), 750 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#143467 01/04/09 08:01 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Hello all. I am a new member. My name is Bill and I have a 26 acre piece of heaven between New Caney and Conroe Texas. I have owned the property since 2003 and currently live on it. It was a raw tract of land that we have been steadily improving over the years.

I have just dug a pond on my property. It is 200' X 75' and is about 8 foot average depth (12' at the deepest). I also have a pond next to it as a collection pond. It is a little smaller and is connected by a 18" pipe. It will spill into the main pond. They are fed by rainwater (there is no spring or creek). The pond edges are steep, except for one end where I sloped it in. I built it for a fishing hole. It has been filled for about a month now and is not clearing. I still have no grass or any vegetation growing along the banks yet. I was hoping you experienced owners could give me some tips on what to plant.

I now have clay turbidity problems. I am going to try using some hay. I have no fish yet, as it is brand new, so I am not yet concerned with pH. I will deal with pH once I get the pond off to a good start.

I will post some pictures tomorrow. I hope I can get some help here.

I have so many questions right now.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Bill @ B & B Ranch

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bill, without any cover on the banks, you will have a lot of turbidity. The standard in Texas is common bermuda. However, at this time of year I would try to get some sort of cereal grain growing. It might germinate when bermuda won't. I don't know your area though. Check with your local NRCS.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thank you. I was going to try and get some rye to grow until I could get Bermuda started.

I will check with the NRCS also.

Thanks again.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ask them whether wheat, rye or oats has the best chance of germinating at this time of year.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Billfish,welcome aboard.Youve just found the best pond site there is.Be patiant,and all your questions will get an answer from the best there is

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
A few tons of Ag Lime and/or a few square bales of alfalfa hay can never hurt and helps to reduce turbidity.

Have you tried a jar test? Put some pond water in a clear jar and let it sit undisturbed for a few days. If the water clears and sediment forms on the bottom, you have no worries once the exposed bamks are vegitated. If it does NOT clear, you will need to address that problem quite differantly and we can certainly help if needed.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome Bill. Just caught your message re: turbidity problems.
I know a great guy out of Hempstead that may be able to steer you in the right way to combat the murky water problem. Particularly if the problem is suspended clay. Contact Shance Tyson at Clearwater Consulting. 800-622-6899. Hope this helps.
Hempstead can't be over 50 miles from you.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I put 3 bales of hay in 3 weeks ago. No help.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get vegetation to grow on the banks...sod, seed, etc...when to do it...

I don't want to waste my money and wash all the seed into the pond. I will upload some pics later tonight or tomorrow.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Thanks for the update Bill!

Hay will take up to several months to work, if ever at all, but certainly longer than three weeks to start to decay and effect the water.

For the seeds to grow you need dirt and it sounds like you have mostly clay. Is this correct?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I have topsoil on top of the clay base (it is very sandy in this area). I am afraid it will all wash into the pond if I do not act quickly. I was thinking about trying to get some St. Augustine sod squares and place in some areas...or maybe get some of the stuff they spread on the banks of highways after construction. Do any of you know if that is available in bags?

I am trying to do this without breaking the bank.

I would upload some pics, but I see there are no attachments allowed on this board. \:\(

I have created a website with a picture of the pond. (I have been wanting to do one for my ranch anyway). It is very crude at this point as I only spent 15 minutes creating it. I hope you all can see my new pond.

Thanks again for your help everybody!

My crude new website

Last edited by Billfish; 01/18/09 07:16 AM. Reason: added link to site

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I see from your picture what you mean. That looks like the same kind of soil over around just East of Dallas by Lake Tawakoni. My suggestion at this time of year for your area would to be to buy some anti-erosion matting with winter grass/organic imbedded. I would apply as much of this as I could afford down toward the water's edge. Then sow winter grass seed ASAP to all other bare areas using typical farming practices...du

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I am now a subscriber.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Billfish
I am now a subscriber.

You look more pond savvy already.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Welcome Billfish!

First things first, get a erosion control program in place. Consider the addition of top-soil on top of exposed clay. Also consider the use of hay bales barriers like the hwy dept uses in areas that receive significant runoff water flow into the pond. Spreading old hay on exposed areas may also be an option. Don't count on hay bales in the pond itself making an improvement until erosion in your watershed and shoreline is controlled.

I recommend a water test for pH, alkalinity, and hardness, which cover the basics. With these testing results we can make recommendations for water quality improvements.

http://overtonfisheries.com/Services/WaterQualityTesting/tabid/97/Default.aspx

It's ALL about the fish!
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I still have topsoil on the clay. I will spread more on top if necessary. The grass is starting to come in, but lack of water has been a problem.

I just bought a bunch of rolls of landscape burlap and landscape spikes. I am going to mat the exposed banks until some grass grows. I will place hay into the main area to block some of the run-in to the pond.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited by Billfish; 01/18/09 05:51 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Billfish, you live in a fairly wet area so hopefully you'll get some rain. Using a gas or electric pump, some PVC, and a few large sprinkler heads could help during dry spells. Sounds like a reasonable plan with the burlap,etc Good luck...du

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thank you!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Billfish

First off, welcome to the forum. You will most likely come to rely on the gifted and generous minds here - I know I do - and beyond the comraderie is the best on the web. Truly solid folks!

If you don't quite feel comfy enough with your project please feel free to contact me if you want to chat about my trials getting cool season grasses to germinate on my 2:1 slopes this past Autumn. Looking at your pond I don't think you'll need silt fences but definitely straw mat is worth the investment. If you want to DIY I have some suggestions for you locating it, wooden stakes, etc if you haven't already. Finding the wholesalers is the trick. Like you, lack of moisture was definitely an issue for me - and then TOO MUCH moisture. Sigh.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
We have had .38" of rain in January. I will place the burlap on the banks with some of the seed in a test area. I have a pump rigged for using the pond water to water the new growth. I will eventually run a line from my well (about 500' away) an put in a hose bib close to the pond.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Take some care and exercise consideration with the burlap application. Many people have no problem with it. My results were less than rewarding.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I now have some nice rye growing all around the edge and on the banks. The burlap has worked in the area I placed it.

I am going to apply the alum/lime soon to clear the pond.

I just stocked the pond today with blue cats, CNBG, and FHM's from Todd Overton at Overton fisheries. Good guy, with lots of good advice. Not one dead fish out of the several hundred after the 2 hour trip!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Applied 150 lbs of alum and 50 lbs of hydrated lime. I used a barrel to mix the product. I then used a 2" trash pump with a fire nozzle on the end of the discharge hose to spray the mixture over the pond surface. My pond is small enough that I was able to spray over the entire surface from one upwind bank with the power of the pump and fire/fog nozzle. My wife an I then ventured out into the pond with the paddleboat to enhance the mixing. A true labor of love! Mixing and spraying the lime was a mess! I look liked the doughboy when I was done...

The pond started clearing immediately. It was amazing. 48 hours later I have about 1-2 feet of visibility. Prior to the application, I had about 1 inch. I will probably have to treat it again in a few months.

The catfish are already coming to the feed. All the fish are very healthy.

I want to thank Todd Overton at Overton Fisheries again for all his advice and his great fish! I will be back in May to get my LMB!

Rainman, thank you for your advice on the alum treatment. I got it right the first time by using this forum. It is nice to have experts at a moments notice.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Great news Billfish!!!

You say you did it "right" the first time? That would mean you have pics! Share man, SHARE!!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I wish I could upload some pics without having to put them on my site. Pleas PM me on how the best way to do this...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jrschneider, Robocopc
Recent Posts
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by esshup - 05/12/24 11:15 PM
curly leaf infestation
by esshup - 05/12/24 10:59 PM
Nested Mallards
by FishinRod - 05/12/24 09:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?