Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, phinfan, teehjaeh57), 1,142 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
couple of months ago you guys gave me lots of great input on F1 vs florida bass. now i have to decide next week. i really want the large size but i sure would like to be able to catch and release them. any opinion if i put in half and half? what do you think that would do? ( 6 acre new pond, north east texas). thanks.

darrell stringer

T
T
What about forage?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
darrell,

It won't surprise you when I cast a vote for the F1's and HSB....maybe should say HSB and F1's.

Forget the Floridas. Even though there are legitimate studies which say Floridas are okay from a catachability standpoint, my experience just doesn't agree. In small ponds with catch and release and feeders and regular fishing pressure, Floridas are not a good choice, not at all. Besides, the F1's will grow as large as the Floridas given adequate forage.

No doubt in my mind HSB and F1's are the choice for predators in our East Texas ponds. The HSB are great "put and take" fish for small ponds. Fight better than LMB, grow rapidly, and taste terrific at the table. With a "put and take" operation, you never have to worry about over population, learning, catchability, stunting, etc. You do need to supplement the HSB with feed, however.

The last difficulty remaining to establishing this "put and take" fishery was a ready supply of 8 inch or larger HSB. George reports that we will soon have a reliable source for larger HSB in Todd Overton, Overton Fisheries. Todd probably has the small ones now that will work before you stock the LMB...after the LMB are stocked and grow, then you will need larger HSB to make it.

We also are fortunate in Texas to have ample access to choices of forage for the F1's and the HSB, including Tilapia, threadfins, and later on when your predators get larger, gizzard shad. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Darrell, About once in 7 or 8 years around Texas, Hell really does freeze over. The Floridas might not make it.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Hey, it snowed last Christmas in Galveston...

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
if i went with f1 and hsb what about quanity. 6 acres (let 's use 5 acres incase meaured wrong) on feb 12 i put in 5,000 coppernose and 40 llbs of fatheads. (1-3 " long). have been feeding and growing well. how many f1 and how many hsb? and since no prdators present i guess small size hsb ok?

thanks for your input and sorry about asking so much about the type of bass. i have had more trouble making this bass decision than any of the more minor deciscions like who to marry (40 years ago) and career and the number of children to have.

G
G
Darrell, if I recall from previous posts that your pond is in N.E. Texas – ours are located in Delta County.

We are currently growing out 200 HSB stockers in a ¼ acre pond and transferring into a two acre pond, upon the advice of Todd Overton of Overton Fisheries.

If I was starting from scratch I would go “heavy” on small and inexpensive HSB, with BG previously stocked, and Tilapia for both algae control and forage.
If you wait for 8-10 inch HSB you will find them quite expensive.

If the decision was solely mine in our pond – which it isn’t - I would seriously question stocking LMB and CC – unless in a separate dedicated pond.

With your larger pond F1 LMB may do quite well if your goal is growing trophy bass, otherwise I would look closely at the numbers of LMB you want to manage

There are several 8-10+ acre ponds in our area that I have fished – problem is they are full of stunted bass.

It has been said many times on this forum, it all depends on what you want from your pond.

George Glazener

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
The recommended stocking rate for HSB is generally about the same as LMB, from 50 to 100 per acre. Rather than stock them all at once, I chose to add 30 to 50 (to my 3.5 acre pond) HSB each spring and fall. That way I have various sizes of HSB in the "pipeline". I'm now harvesting 2 year old HSB for the occasional spectacular dinners. With this approach, I should always have some fish ready to take out and others right behind....and maybe a few old "mossbacks"

Yes, as long as you don't have the LMB, you can stock the small size HSB without worry of loss to predation.

The LMB, since I presume you are talking catch and release, could all go in at the same time. By the way the 50 to 100 per acre is total combined LMB and HSB, according to my understanding.

I'd recommend that you give Todd Overton, Overton Fisheries a call and tell him what you are thinking and ask for his advice. He's a good guy and trustworthy and experienced.

I know what you mean about these decisions...and because of that I don't ever post anything on this forum that I haven't experienced myself. The text book answers may be fine for some, but I prefer actual experiences. Even then, what one person experiences in their situation, does not always guarantee the same thing will happen in another persons situation. We just have to read, contemplate, and make an informed decision....but I'm betting you will absolutely love the HSB in your 6 acre pond.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
"CC"...channel cats? I didn't realize that was on the table for discussion...no cats in my ponds, channel or otherwise and never recommend them....

I agree with George on the Tilapia and his observations on LMB...I'm just not ready to completely rule out the LMB yet, almost ready, but not there yet.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The only possible negative I see in HSB's is their lack of "sustainability". They don't reproduce and you aren't going to catch all of them. Thus, I would worry about restocking HSB bait for the larger ones. A grow out pond like George has might alleviate the situation.

Concerning catfish, I have them and am trying to catch them. They have gotten too large but that is a problem I have always aspired to have. When I get almost all of them, I will restock with 12 inch ones. I love them!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
darrell,

Interesting article on Floridas and F1's and such...if you haven't seen it, its a good read.

http://www.strikeking.com/journal/journal022-1.shtml

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Darrell, Here's my input if you haven't stocked already. You are only going to get one chance stocking small HSB in a new pond, future stockings of standard fish will be prey. Go heavy with initial HSB numbers as compared to F1 LMB. If you feed the HSB, put in what you can afford up to 100 per acre, if you don't feed, add Tilapia. That leaves plenty of room for growth. Your dominate predator will eventually become the LMB, but you have the selective harvest option while monitoring your pond.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
meadowlark,
please bury this article. It is wrong and perpetuates the that F1 is gorilla and norhtern is Tiger WRONG! Barry told them reprint with correction and it was never done. Every time this article comes up folks get confused on what is what. Not telling you what to do but Cecil clued me in last year and we figured this artilce was the source of all the bad info. I wish they would pull it from the website. thanks

BTW Darrell, we have several clients that stock 1/2 F1 and 1/2 Florida. THe clients really want a chance to produce 18 lb bass from original stock florida. I also stock 1/2 f1 and 1/2 norhtern for clients wanting a more agressive nature in the bass genetic pool. If you have some ice in winter I would not sugest FLA though, it is hard to go wrong with F1, awesome fish.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
JB Offline
J
Greg, can you elaborate on you and your clients expirences with any combo of F1, Northern, and Flordias.

Then if a pond is stocked with only F1, is a F1 and F1 cross good? or do you need to have some native or flordias to help the gene pool?

I know it depends on what the goal for a given pond and its location but, could you just give your take on some more pros/cons.

I would really appreciate it,
Thanks, JB

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. Or I have been told.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
JB,
Hope this helps....An F1 is a true cross between two subspecies of largemouth bass. THus you will never hav any true F1's other than the ones you stock. However subsequent generatiosn will be a mix of some FLA, some Northern with most being genetics of both. Nothing wrong with this and not only do the orignial F1's do great in the pond but so do offspring.

To swing genetics in a more agressive nature stock with some pure norhterns, to swing toward more trophy potential stock some pure Fla's. Get it? Overall I think it matters little but it makes the pondowner happy and I think it does make a slight diff. Like I said though if you get quite a bit of ice I would shy away from pure FLA.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
JB Offline
J
Thanks Greg, that the answer I was ready for. JB

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. Or I have been told.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Greg, The reason I like the article is that it states exactly what I have experienced and I might add what many folks have said on this forum...Florida bass in a small catch and release pond with fishing pressure does not work, period. I don't care if they are called tigers, gorrillas or whatever, but I was trying to help Darrell with his decision by recommending he avoid Floridas completely, consider F1's and especially consider HSB. I stand by that recommendation, whether they are called lions, tigers or bears. \:\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
JB :

While I am not a client of Greg's I have great respect for his views and I have used some of the same fish providers that he has. Because we are both from the southeast we see many of the same situations. I have been looking into the question of Florida's vs. northerns vs. F-1 {or other combinations ie. % of fla/north.} for a number of years. I agree with Greg's approach that a combination of the above is best and that is what we started in 1998. I have seen the best results with a combination of 40% northerns, 40% F-1 and 20% floridas. For a number of reasons I think the floridas out compete the others if all other factors are equal . The factors that lead me to this conclusion , in simplefied terms and without stating sources and reasons, are floridas have a longer life span , are less subject to predation by man and have a faster growth rate . There may be other factors both pro and con but these are the main ones. Because I did not and do not want the problems discussed above by ML and others , if I make an error I want it in the direction of northerns {aggresive trait}. I do think that larger bass are harder to get to bite artificial baits no matter which type of bass. They did not get big and old by being the dumbest bass in the pond . There is much more to this that I am leaving out for space considerations such as % and rebalancing over time. Having pointed this out please note that I am answering your question and giving my experience. This is not advice. My advice would all depend on the factors in your pond and your goals as Greg noted. ewest

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Darrell, if you want fish that can look like footballs, and attack like torpedos, get F1's !

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
ML, spoke with hatchery in GA today and said he refuses to call them tiger and said he is calling his "bulldawgs" so they are now better since I'm a UGA grad. \:D I here you about the F1's call them whatever good choice but so is the use of some % of others as EW points out

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No matter what you call them or what their genetics are, they get hook shy all too quickly. According to the guy on the fish truck, I have F-1's.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Correction Dave...you had F1's...the poachers ate your F1's and my Floridas too. \:\)

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Meadowlark,
In Greg's defense I think he was more intrested in in the correct terminoligy ie: nick names than whether or not we should stock one or the other fish. On that point I agree with Greg. There's enough confusion already with so many mistaken names of fishes.

It's a good article though & I apreciate your sharing it!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ML, had is right. But, I know they can't have gotten everyone of them. Me not catching fish only bothers me a little bit. Not seeing the small ones feeding at dawn is the killer. BTW, I did see one last weekend. About 12 inches. That is the first one.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I'll overstock my bass and call them skinny before I call my fish hook-shy. With the forage potential in TX, build the base and pack them in. I don't get to fish 1/2 as much as I would like to, the last thing I want is to be frustrated trying. Give me 6lb. test, a light action open face reel. I believe bass are more easy to cull, than to establish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves