Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,124
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Angler8689, anthropic, jbird5986, jpsdad, Sunil, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 875 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bennie Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Here's my dilemma--either I'm the worlds worst fisherman or something is wrong. I need assistance on what to test to figure out what has happened to all of my stocked fish.

The basics of my pond:

1/3 acre, 100 by 140, 9 feet deep, woods on two sides, street on third side, houses on the fourth. One catch basin from the street-side swale drains in--nothing drains out.

I've been re-habbing this pond for my sons recreation (he's three) and hope to have big bass in it some day.

I've aerated it for the past two seasons. Bacterial treatments seem to have helped with the muck. I can tell as I get the waders on and walk around--I seem to have a much firmer bottom. I manually remove muck at low water conditions (moves up and down 9-12" yearly) and have been harvesting great garden soil.

The water is very clear--no sediment or algae even before using pond dye, unless of course I'm raking the bottom and pulling up the sediment. The pond dye seems to stay for quite a while. The main weed is duckweed, which shades the whole pond from May to October, except for around the aerator bubbles. Right now the duckweed has fallen to the bottom.

So I've aerated, dyed and bacteria-treated the water. I will think about a sonar treatment for the duckweed next spring.

I've stocked over the past two years fish in proportion to the size of the pond--25 bass, 50 bluegill, 25 catfish, 25 perch, and three or four gallons of minnows (I've even sunk some pallets for minnow reproduction and habitat) and some bullfrogs. There are plenty of bugs, smaller green frogs, tons of snails and some salamanders I've found. It seems to have all the things necessary to grow fish.

I have not found any evidence they are alive or dead. I tried coaxing them up with Fish Chow and still nothing. I have fished them with nary a nibble. It's been only two or three weeks since the duckweed sank allowing me to try to fish them or feed them fish chow.

Three of the aerator stones are in shallow water by my end--3-4 feet. The fourth stone is in the deep water at 7-8 feet. i think i have enough air.

As far as waterfowl, ducks love this pond, especially in the fall when the "teenage" immature mallards congregate in their little "gangs", their heads only half-green. We also have a couple pairs of wood ducks, little green heron (one or two). Egrets and great blue herons are nearby but don't come to our pond as it's hard to access it with the road and powerlines on one side and the trees and houses on the other sides. For the same reason canadian geese or swans can't get to the pond either. So it's limited to ducks and little green herons, and to my knowledge the only fish eaters are the little green herons.

So where are the fish? How do I know if the water can sustain them? I'm thinking I have to resort to a water test to be sure.

By the way, I have a small boat I can use to get to any part of the pond to look for fish and haven't seen even any dead ones. Are they just alive and down deep or did they just end up on the bottom dead?

Does anyone have any fish confirmation techniques I could try either this fall or next spring? Thanks in advance!

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Bennie,

You say your water is clear. Can you see any fish or minnows?

Keep feeding in the same place and same time every day, and if they survived, they will eventually show up and feed.

Last edited by bobad; 10/17/08 08:34 AM.
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hi Bennie.

One technique I've been using to study my fish is to watch the bank with a powerful flashlight after dark. You probably won't see larger fish, but you may see some smaller ones. I also often find one or both of my two watersnake tenants and several frogs that way. A few days ago I saw a 3" warmouth being eaten by a 2.5" long bug!

Bennie Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
i'll try the flashlight technique. I have a large million candlepower light and see what I can find.

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: GW
One technique I've been using to study my fish is to watch the bank with a powerful flashlight after dark.... A few days ago I saw a 3" warmouth being eaten by a 2.5" long bug!

What the heck are you guys growing down there in GA? What kinda bug gets that big?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
leard to throw a cast net. if the bottom is fairly snag free, you will catch fish in it.

Scott Hanners

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday