Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (teehjaeh57, Sunil, hartfish, FishinRod, jmartin, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24), 1,143 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bodock Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
First post - lurked for a while. I bought some property a year ago and it has two ponds - a 7.5 acre one and a 1.5 acre one. Both are 20 years old and the larger one is situated right in front of the main house - I'd upload an aerial if I could. Bottom line is I have concluded it is suffering from 4 major problems and 2 of them are very problematic. First, while it produced 10 lb bass 10+ years ago it has not been managed since. It is full of stunted 10" bass and a reasonable number of larger bream as you'd expect. I've removed over 100 bass. Second, it has very low alkalinity (14 ppm) - I recently spread 12 tons of lime (leftover from field spreading). Third, at least 1/3 of the lake appears to be shallower than I'd like although it might partially be a symptom of the final major problem which is beavers have wallowed and rooted throughout the dam. Once the water level reaches a certain point shy of full pool it rushes through the beaver holes. I've trapped and shot beavers but those jokers are still there. I've thought about hiring someone to repair the dam. I've thought about rotenone to start from scratch. I've thought about getting a proper lime spreader to float around the lake. At the end of the day, I'm thinking it might be best for long term pond health and my satisfaction to blow up the dam (or raze it somehow), drain the pond, use a dozer (I have a JD 450C without a 6-way blade though) to sculpt structure to my liking, spread lots of lime, reconstruct the dam and add rock rip rap, let it fill up over the winter, then add proper proportions of fish species and worry about maintaining ratios and numbers ongoing. How big a pain in the rear am I inviting upon myself? Expense? Am I overly ambitious and should just repair the dam and move on? I'd love any candid feedback you can give me. Thanks in advance.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If it were me,and its not,its you,Id call me so I could play with dynamite and blow the dam.Just kidding.
Welcome aboard,we're glad you found us.What are your goals for the pond?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Bodock
Glad to have you here.

After you define your goals call Tom G and me and lets get the dynamite.
How hard would it be to drain?
You will need a little time to work it over but you can sure do it yourself.

Let us know what you want and then the fun begins.
Otto

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum!

If you want a pond "your way", by all means, fire up the dozer and breach the dam!

Would re-working the top of the dam to repair ALL the beaver dens/holes be feasible, then adding heavy rip-rap to prevent new burrowing be useful?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Rip-rap or chain link fence just under the surface.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Good idea Theo. Chain link cheap easy to get and install.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Unbelievable! After meeting & talking with Otto at the conference and he's still willing to let me get close to something that goes bang.Youd think he'd have a little more sense than that.On the other hand,If youve got the time Weeeee've got the beer...beer after beer.....

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I believe I would siphon it down below beaver den level, take care of them, and then repair the damage. As for the shallow end, it could take years to get it dry enough to do any good with a 450C. I would then bring in enough clay/dirt to raise the dam.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I would recommend getting out on the pond with a stick to see how deep your muck is. If it is a foot deep or so no problem. If it is more than that it takes along time to dry out. I drained my pond over two years ago and I am currently digging with a trackhoe choclate pudding and toploading a scraper. I will say that the area where this muck is is where the original creek was but in another pond without a creek the muck was up to 6 feet deep. That stuff will never dry out and can't be pushed out unless it isn't very thick/deep.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
You Answered my questions

B
Bodock Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thank you all for the good feedback. I didn't consider the possibility that I couldn't get the ground dry enough to work to my complete satisfaction. With that in mind, it seems the idea of lowering the lake level, eradicating the beavers, repairing the dam (I like the chain link fence idea), then letting nature take its course refilling the lake is a sensible solution. I've got nearly 200 yards of dam to deal with (I know this because it's my rifle range) and chain link will certainly be cheaper than rip rap. I still might rotenone the lake and start from scratch with new fish.

Last edited by Bodock; 10/07/08 02:04 PM.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves