Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
1 members (Croakin' Toad), 717 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130987 08/31/08 11:28 AM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
This may be in the wrong section but I'm not sure where to put this kind of question.
Has anyone done a poll on fish flavor? Which is best, worst and which has the most uses? I've eaten bullhead, and a lot of saltwater varieties, so I cannot say which species taste best myself.
jim Gilmore

Lunker
Lunker
1-2-3: BG/Walleye/YP. It's been too long since I've had fresh WE & YP for me to make a further split fairly.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Here is my opinion:
1-Northern Pike (I've only ate pike that has come from below 65* water, so my opinion may be different for warm water pike)
2-Bluegill/Green Sunfish/etc.
3-Yellow Perch

Last edited by bbjr; 08/31/08 06:41 PM. Reason: clarification

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
bbjr #131037 08/31/08 09:33 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I love some fried up catfish. Love to fry and bake bass. Trout is also really good if you bake it with lemon. Perch and blue gill are great as well. I pretty much like all fish except carp

Future Pond Boss
[Linked Image from i53.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well I learned this past year that it all depends. I use to think that I hated catfish - that they had a "muddy" flavor. Then I go to the conference (and after that the LL2) where I learned the proper way to clean and cook catfish and my entire outlook has changed. Nate cleaned the catfish into little strips (like chicken tenders) and then they were breaded and fried in peanut oil. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, so very good. So IMHO a huge key is how it's cleaned and cooked.

Since we are limiting this to fish we can stock in our fresh water ponds:

1. Bluegill

2. Catfish (using the Nately/Lusk preparation techinque).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
My own experience is that no one species has a taste advantage over another.

Instead it has much more to do with water quality and feed, in my opinion.

I happen to love fresh trout and salmon. But the flavor of a trout from a summertime-warm, weedy, muddy pond in Massachussetts can't compare with trout I caught as a kid from pristine streams at 8000 feet in the Uinta mountains of Utah.

The Uinta cutthroat were eating freshwater shrimp from cold, clear, and highly oxygenated water. The flesh was a bright orange. The planted rainbows here in New England were eating, well, something else.

I've noticed the same with warmwater species. I've had farm-raised catfish that was excellent. I've caught the same CC species out of a warm and muddy farm pond, and there was that muddy taste. And I believed I fileted it properly to remove the dark/fatty portions, washed, and marinated it properly.

Now all that being said... Well, you also just have to like fish. Which I do. And develop your own favorite recipes!

Fried fresh fish.
Fish fried fresh.
Fresh fish fried.
Fried fish fresh.
Fish fresh fried.
Fresh fried fish.

Hmmmm.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I'm a Great Lakes area fisherman and around here Yellow Perch and Walleye are neck and neck as top table fare, I prefer the YP to the WE because of the texture of the meat and that subtleness of the fish flavor it provides. I have eaten them from as far north as Chibougamau, Quebec and as far south as Cincinnati, Oh and never noticed much difference in the taste, they are just plain good eating. After that most any bream, sunfish, or crappie will do. I have to try these catfish strips deep fried in peanut oil, they sound too good to miss.

JoeG #131251 09/02/08 09:34 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This question is like asking which women or type of meat is best. Everyone has a personal preference which is why my dad always said "that is why we all did not marry the same woman".

Many fish from good water quality and prepared well have good flavor. IT is hard to choose a favorite.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
YP, GL Salmon, Crappie

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I agree with Jeff in that the handling of the fish after catching them is very important. In the summer we try to get the fish on ice as quickly as possible to keep them from spoiling. Fish in the summer can spoil in an hour or less and cause an otherwise good fish to become unedible. The water the fish come from and what they have been eating is also very important. But if I had to choose my favorite pond fish it would have to be tilapia. They are absolutely wonderful! I just wish I could catch more of them.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Im surprised no one has mentioned flathead catfish. I had it for the first time on the 4th of July and couldnt believe how good it was. It has to be in my top five. 1. yellow perch 2. bluegill 3. crappie 4. flathead 5. walleye

JoeG #131376 09/04/08 07:27 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ben, I think no one mentioned Flat Heads because if you stock them you probably won't have much else in your pond in a few years. Those things are a swimming mouth! \:o

Originally Posted By: JoeG
as far north as Chibougamau

Joe we love hearing fishing stories but stop making up names. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Did you google it Jeff??? I mean, hasn't everyone heard of Chibougamau??

JoeG #131389 09/04/08 10:25 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Is this the right Chibougamau?

Wikipedia on Chibougamau:

Chibougamau is a town in central Quebec, Canada, located on Lake Gilman. It has a population of 7,563 people (Canada 2006 Census), which makes it the largest community in northern Quebec. Because of its remoteness from the Lac Saint-Jean area (over 200 km south-east) and from the Abitibi-Témiscamingue area (over 250 km south-west), it serves as the centre of services for the few small communities surrounding it (Mistissini and Chapais) and for the regional resource-based industries.

Close by are Lake Aux Dorés and the vast Lake Chibougamau, after which the town was named. The name Chibougamau comes from the Cree language meaning "Crossed by a river". The nearby Cree village of Oujé-Bougoumou is a more traditional Cree spelling of the same name.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
That is the place, in French, a Walleye is called a Dore, Lake Aux Dores is "Walleye Lake" or "Lake of the Walleye" if you hold true to the translation and my french hasn't gotten too poor to translate. That's not where I fished but they do have perch up there, funniest thing about them and all fish up that far north, is how rubbery and tough the skin is, I surmise it is the tannins in the water and the cold weather that make it that way. The water up there all has a dark root beer color to it, even the whitewater looks like A&W foam.

JoeG #131400 09/04/08 12:16 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Yes sir you got my favorite is fried...

...fish \:D

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 09/04/08 01:24 PM. Reason: Goodness, gracious, but it used to be WIDE!

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

JoeG #131427 09/04/08 04:29 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: JoeG
That is the place, in French, a Walleye is called a Dore, Lake Aux Dores is "Walleye Lake" or "Lake of the Walleye" if you hold true to the translation and my french hasn't gotten too poor to translate. That's not where I fished but they do have perch up there, funniest thing about them and all fish up that far north, is how rubbery and tough the skin is, I surmise it is the tannins in the water and the cold weather that make it that way. The water up there all has a dark root beer color to it, even the whitewater looks like A&W foam.

I just got back from the Jordan Valley (no blatantly obvious wars going on down there) today and I log onto pondboss and I become spiritually enlightened. Man, what a great site. I just discovered there is an oasis on the Jordan/Iraq border that holds a 20-lb carp. I've never been a carp fisher but I need to do a little freshwater fishing so carp it will have to be while in Jordan.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome home!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I stock fish for one reason and one reason only - sport fishing. It's not the fish in the fight but the fight in the fish.

Deep dark secret revealed - you northen boys go easy on me - I love to fish for BG but they taste "funny" to me.
I threw a half dozen or so big female BG on the bank this morning. Our neighbors don't want then either - they prefer crappie.

My favorite fish for the fight and for table fare is HSB
Just remember to take out the bloodline...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
Deep dark secret revealed - you northen boys go easy on me - I love to fish for BG but they taste "funny" to me.
I threw a half dozen or so big female BG on the bank this morning.

-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George - me to.

I eat BG and LMB as that is dinner on occasion. They are not my favorites. Often small LMB go on the bank. \:o

CC and crappie along with WE and YP are much better IMO.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I prefer LMB. OK, I haven't caught a crappie in years and can't bring myself to slaughter a nice sized BG.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM