Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#130502 08/26/08 08:35 PM
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I'm seeing a new batch of 2" smb. Is it possible they spawned again? The smb were stocked last spring & spawned this spring as I was seeing 4" smb a month ago.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
SMB could very easily be 2" and still from this years spring spawn.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Also some of last years stocker SMB (the slow growers) could be late spawning due to age or condition.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
It's such a wonderful feeling to have a smallie spawn.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yep, I definitely agree with Sunil! Now we can start eating them!!

Last edited by n8ly; 08/26/08 10:18 PM. Reason: spelled Now wrong.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
So sad, so sad.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
You're prob. right ewest. I am still seeing some 10" smb while most are 12 to 14" now.
BTW, I still have RE spawning! \:\)

Sunil,

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Probably should eat the 10 inchers so the 12-14's can grow even larger. Especially since you got some competition coming up!

I just am trying to get the message out to people, eating fish creates great small private water fisheries that will keep pumping out lots of fish for years to come. Probably 90% of the ponds I visit are overpopulated. Most people are either too lazy to eat and harvest fish, or they dont have the heart to throw them up on the bank.

Ric, when you stocked the SMB, did you initially stock your ideal number of smallies to achieve your carrying capacity as they grow into adults. Lots of people do not account for reproduction in their initial stockings of SMB and especially of LMB.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Nate,

I've always felt like white trash because I have killed and eaten smallmouths. The fact is, I probably am white trash, but I find it comforting to see that you eat them, too. They are such a beautiful fish and so fun to catch that I've always felt guilty about eating them. They do have a great flavor, though. Green carp on the otherhand get banked!

I would agree that a large percentage of serious pondmeisters really do have problems removing fish. However, most have no problem eating fish from other ponds. I think the secret is to match up two pondowners and have them fish each other's ponds (with target fish in mind). That way the duty that needs to be done is done, the pond's benefit, and the respective owners don't have to watch their beloved fish get whacked. There's less guilt when you eat fish that you haven't named!

Sunil, may Nate and I fish your pond?

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
...Green carp on the otherhand get banked!

\:D

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
n8ly,
I put in 100 2 - 3" smb spring of 07. Pond is apx. 2.5ac. I had 3 kingfishers & a couple of green herons working the pond so I know I lost some to them.
You make a good point I hadn't considered. It prob. wouldn't hurt to take out the slow growers if for no other reason to remove them from the gene pool. Plus I'm fearful they're running short on forage. I'm looking for YP & Gams to stock now.

Bruce, I saved a pic of that sign. Funny!

Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shawn,
You nailed it right on the head! We will have to coordinate a long weekend to PA!

Ric,
Just dont let the population explode, I assume you have LMB as well? 100 SMB with a 20% mortality, so your looking at 80 10-14 inchers is just fine for 2.5 acres. Just monitor their reproduction. Harvest the LMB like crazy to make more room for your SMB!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree with Shawn & Nate - the biggest problem I see is poor population mgt. (overcrowding of one species and the negative effects it has on the remaining species).

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Only SMB & RE in the pond.
Thanks for the help.

Ric
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Ric - I am planning on putting in smallies this fall into my 1.5 acre pond. Did you build any special structure for spawing and if so what? Thanks I am very curious.

Lunker
Lunker
mnfish:

You may want to check out the Archive thread on SMB Beds

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Thanks for the thread direction Theo - I will receive my smallies in a couple of weeks 3-4" ers. How old will they have to be to spawn?

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
MN
Stocked mine Oct '07 at 4-6", they're currently 10-13" and spawned this spring, babies are 4 to 6". Wonder if your shorter season will allow spawn first year?

Can't bear to take any out yet... glad Nate lives a long way, but Banks definately a threat.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pedro -- we've had a lot of discussions about smallies either spawning or not spawning at various geographic locations. They seem to spawn well up north, and very erratically down south. Kansas is in-between. Does your pond have a lot of rock and gravel, or did you add any spawning structures for them? OR, did they just do their thing?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Pedro, where in theeee heck have you been? No post since '04 and then bang!!!!! By the way, you seem to be a member of B.I.S.A. now, so you are severely in arrears regarding your dues.

OK, Banks. Man!!...you've put out some crazy text...so crazy I don't even know how to respond.....

"I've always felt like white trash because I have killed and eaten smallmouths." OK....OK....well...OK don't know what to say to that. It is a damn good tasting fish.

"The fact is, I probably am white trash, but I find it comforting to see that you eat them, too." OK....OK...well...OK, I don't know what to say here either. You're not white trash, Mabro,...you don't live next to my property!

"Sunil, may Nate and I fish your pond?" Don't make idle threats. Set a date, and you have no expenses once you're here.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mnfish,
where are you getting your smallies from?

Shawn,
I am still cracking up about your "crazy text....so crazy I don't even know how to respond..."
Looks like we will have to have a fish fry at Sunil's place next spring. Steelman will have to come along too!

Sunil,
When do the smallie's start spawning? I hear that pregnant females fry up the best!

Pedro,
I am the treasures for the smb group that Sunil was talking about earlier, you are behind on lots of dues, your check can be sent to me for immediate reinstatement and you will then be sent your fleece pullover in 6-8 weeks. It has your name on it!
Also I have relatives just a few miles from Overland Park and we have a big fish fry every Memorial Day Weekend!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"...you will then be sent your fleece pullover in 6-8 weeks. It has your name on it!"

Nice usage of the double entendre'.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R

Quote:
Posted by mnfish:
Ric - I am planning on putting in smallies this fall into my 1.5 acre pond. Did you build any special structure for spawing and if so what? Thanks I am very curious.

mnfish,
I made 8' wide, 4' - 5' deep ledges around apx. half my pond, dropping off into deep water. Put river rock & sand on the ledges & larger rock on the drop offs with some scattered on the ledges.
The SMB spawned well but I sure didn't expect them to spawn twice.

Ric
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Sunil, I'm sure there are many people who read this sight daily that don't post. Makes one feel kind of selfish just taking and not contributing, but I'll get over it... BTW I know the dentist is kinda the rock star of this sight, but you and your smallies are my favorite. Would also put in a vote for Theo...but not sure which one.

Doc Willis, no didn't add any spawning habitat, I'm approx 4 ac, 23' at the standpipe, 200+ ac watershed, had a tough time finding enough material for dam, hit rock pretty much everywhere, was concerned about 4 or 5 springs and all rock, but I'm kinda at the bottom of the hill, so far so good.

Nate, are there different levels of membership? Would like to upgrade my fleece to gortex. If ya'll need another place to fish for your family reunion, my pond is about 30 minutes south of OP.

Probably also need to contact the Green Sunfish society, as GSF came down the creek from my neighbor. Wonder if my admission to this group might be prejudiced by my preffered use of greenies... cutting them in half for catfish bait.(would never do that with my bull bluegill)

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
N8LY- I will be getting my fish from a company by the name of 10,000 lakes out of Osakis MN(John Chalmers is the owner).

Ric - Thanks for the info.

Dave and Ric- I was thinking this winter when the ice is good and thick I would add boulder rock, river rock, and pea gravel. My question is: Have you ever noticed a trend with regards to smallmouth spawning along a specific directional facing shoreline, ie north, south, east or west? Or any other trends assuming the ideal bottom structure.

And for the record- I have eaten many a smallmouth during boundy water trips but felt a little guilty with each delicious bite I took.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?