Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,307
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Zep, Custom 68, JoshMI), 880 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128296 08/06/08 09:38 PM
W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Hey, everyone!

This is my first post. I found your site through the advice of a son of a poster. Thanks, Eric!

Okay, here's my situation... I recently bought a home on a 16 acre pond/lake. I am the only home on it, and most of the land around it is owned by the county, and they have let the lake and the shore go to heck. Nearly 3/4 of the water was covered in duckweed and clogged with coontail by early spring, and algae was popping up too. The county basically appointed me the caretaker of the lake and said, "See what you can do with it."

I had no idea what to do. I contracted a company to treat it with Sonar and copper sulfate. That has knocked down the vast majority of the weed infestation, and probably 3/4 of the water is clear now, but it still has some issues I would love some advice on. For instance, the bottom of the lake is covered in a feet-thick layer of black muck, leaves, and sticks, and the water is murky, and I'm told it has way too much phosphorus.

Of course, when I contact service companies, they want to sell me services and chemicals and such. I'm hoping to get some good advice from real pond owners/managers here.

1) How can I get rid of the muck and old debris? The pond was once much deeper, and it appears that this organic buildup is the culprit. The only fish species in the lake appears to be lots of blue gill/redear and a lot (some quite large) of bass. No bottom feeders, and no aeration.
2) Has anyone used Alum for clearing phosphorus from the water? Does it work? Is it worth it? Are there any negative impacts?
3) Sonar is expensive. Is there a cheaper, effective means of controlling duckweed and coontail, as well as filametous algae?

Basically, any and all advice is welcome. I'm painfully new at this, and the county is no help. I want to get the lake clear and healthy, and maybe even improve the already awesome fishing, but I know so little, and find so many conflicting reports on Internet searches.

HELP!!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome aboard WLCopper.

1) The much and debris would best be removed by installing an aeration system, and possibly using some kind of microbe treatment. But to be effective, it has to be sized for the 16 acres.

"bottom feeders" is kind of a misunderstanding. Catfish and bullheads eat other fish.

As far as the weed control, I don't have experience, but let's see what others have to say.

Do a lot of reading here and order the Pond Boss magazine and books, as they will help very much.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
HI WL Copper -
You came to the right place to find answers, welcome! I think the most important thing to do is to tackle your water quality and one of the best ways to do that is (as Sunil mentioned) by installing a properly sized bottom placed aeration system. Sufficient oxygen and adequate mixing of the water to reduce stratification so that the oxygen is uniformly distributed throughout the water column are very important conditions for a healthy lake. Dissolved oxygen is not only used by fish, vegetation, and other organisms, but it is also essential in the oxidation and bacterial digestion of suspended organic material and bottom sediments.

Under ideal conditions, natural forces can keep a lake healthy and aesthetically attractive, but unfortunately our lakes usually do not exist under ideal conditions. Water mixing and movement is restricted. In the summer months, hot, hazy and cloudy days worsen the situation because of lack of photosynthesis and the fact that warm water holds less oxygen. Rain and irrigation water runoff carries organic debris, nutrients and other chemicals that consume oxygen.

An effective aeration system brings oxygen into the water, eliminates stratification and increases circulation. This makes the water at all levels able to support animal and plant life, control algae growth by limiting its food source, and aid decomposition of suspended organic material and muck on the bottom of the lake and prevent the risk of future oxygen related fish kills.

Of course, aeration isn't a cure all, but it will definately be a giant step in the right direction. Will the county help you pay for lake improvements?

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Thanks for the reply, Sunil and Sue Cruz. I appreciate the input.

Actually, I have thought about aerating the lake, or at least part of it. Sue, you asked if the county would help with the cost. Honestly, I don't know. When we had the lake treated for weeds, they kicked in a pre-determined amount that they obligated to as part of the sales conditions. When the estimate came in, it was considerably higher than that, and they declined to help with the additional cost. And, the whole reason the lake is in this sorry condition is the years of neglect in the hands of the county. I suspect I'm largely on my own in caring about the lake's condition.

Can you suggest a good source for reliable information about how to size an aeration solution to a lake this size? If I can get a good idea about the cost, I can at least ask them to shoulder some of the cost.

I will also post this question on another board focused more on aeration.

Last edited by WLCopper; 08/07/08 05:01 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Make a post on this board in the Aeration area.

I don't know the specifics of your deal, but if you have to spend a lot to fix up the lake, can you negotiate some better rights for yourself such as first right to buy the land surrounding the lake?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Great idea, Sunil. I'll pursue that.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 08:51 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Sunil - 05/06/24 08:38 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting