Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 706 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Artificial photosynthesis! Could revolutionalize solar energy production! I see other applications of this in our industry.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/oxygen-0731.html

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That may be the most exciting article I've ever read! If this if for real, we can stop sending all of our money overseas.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
That may be the most exciting article I've ever read! If this if for real, we can stop sending all of our money overseas.

DITTO!!!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Don't get in to big a hurry ! Looks like it uses some very expensive parts cobalt , phosphate , and platinum on a large scale. Very interesting science concept. Currently available electrolyzers, which split water with electricity and are often used industrially, are not suited for artificial photosynthesis because they are very expensive and require a highly basic (non-benign) environment that has little to do with the conditions under which photosynthesis operates.

Fusion (an opposite approach scientifically) can produce all the energy we need - if we can figure out how to do it and keep it contained. We won't need to capture the sun if we can create our own. Man's ingenuity has always found an answer and will this time - just add a profit motive and we will get their fast.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Don't get in to big a hurry ! Looks like it uses some very expensive parts cobalt , phosphate , and platinum on a large scale. Very interesting science concept. Currently available electrolyzers, which split water with electricity and are often used industrially, are not suited for artificial photosynthesis because they are very expensive and require a highly basic (non-benign) environment that has little to do with the conditions under which photosynthesis operates.

Fusion (an opposite approach scientifically) can produce all the energy we need - if we can figure out how to do it and keep it contained. We won't need to capture the sun if we can create our own. Man's ingenuity has always found an answer and will this time - just add a profit motive and we will get their fast.

Good point(s).

The profit motive keeps getting better and better with oil at 130/bb.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Man's ingenuity has always found an answer and will this time - just add a profit motive and we will get their fast.

And we need good leadership! ;\)

Can you imagine if we made half the effort during the war effort of WWII to get the job done? \:o

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/02/08 12:04 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I honestly think Eric is an alien, no human is that smart \:D

Think about it, he knows EVERYTHING ! ...and then some.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not alien ,at least according to my mom ,who reminded me and my dad how much pain she endured to get me here. \:o

Certainly don't know that much but am trying to learn as much as possible. I have been accused of nearly getting to the end of the internet but that to was wildly incorrect as I quickly got trapped in one of my own revolving links. \:D - ;\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Who needs platinum Eric?

Cheaper fuel cell on the way

Friday, 1 August 2008 Anna Salleh
ABC
cathode

The new cathode made of conducting polymer would replace a costly platinum cathode (Source: Julie Fraser/Monash University)
Related Stories

A much cheaper fuel cell could be on its way thanks a new cathode built by Australian researchers.

A team at the Australian Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science at Monash University in Melbourne report their findings in today's issue of the journal Science.

Fuel cells convert hydrogen and oxygen to electricity and water and are thus a key area of research for powering greener cars.

The traditional fuel cell has a cathode which contains expensive platinum nanoparticles, says materials engineer Professor Maria Forsythe, who contributed to the development of the new cathode.

She says the amount of platinum required for a passenger car is worth around $3500 to $4000, and this makes up the major cost of a fuel cell.

A further problem is the nanoparticles can lose their effectiveness either by clumping together or by becoming "poisoned" by carbon monoxide.

New cathode

Forsyth and team developed a new cathode from a conducting polymer called poly(3,4-ethlenedioxythiphene) or PEDOT.

Conducting polymers are special plastics that conduct electricity.

Forsyth says cathode materials for a green car could be made more easily at cost of only several hundred dollars, while producing the same amount of current per unit area as the platinum cathode.

She says the new cathode is also much more stable than the platinum one and immune from being affected by carbon monoxide.

The researchers will now build a fuel cell, in three dimensions, to maximise the surface area available to generate current.

Forsyth says the cathode could also be used in zinc air batteries, which are under development for storing energy in cars.

Funding for the new cathode came from the Australian Research Council.

Forsyth says that patents are pending on the cathode and the research team is speaking to eco-car manufacturers about their technology

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/08/01/2320386.htm

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil you sure its the same process ?

The key component in Nocera and Kanan's new process is a new catalyst that produces oxygen gas from water; another catalyst produces valuable hydrogen gas. The new catalyst consists of cobalt metal, phosphate and an electrode, placed in water. When electricity -- whether from a photovoltaic cell, a wind turbine or any other source -- runs through the electrode, the cobalt and phosphate form a thin film on the electrode, and oxygen gas is produced.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Eric, I know you are busy, but do you have time to run for President? \:D

You know you are stumpped when you ask a question here, then follow it up with a more detailed reply...only to be asked a question (about your own project), that you haven't thought of! As Tennessee Tuxedo would say "Back to the drawing board Chumley!" Think that quote will raise a few eyebrows??? Who's Tennessee Tuxedo?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I know TT and his pals. \:D

Not interested in public office. I value my friends (here and elsewhere) and family and time at the ponds to much. Plus I have way to much to learn to be diverted by politics.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No not sure at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails