Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,201
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, Bigtrh24, DPSMESA), 951 guests, and 151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#125281 07/16/08 08:49 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Well I was canoeing the river the other day and came across a small pool that was separated from the river due to lower water levels of summer. In this pool were about a hundred trout 3 - 6 inchers. Being the big hearted guy I am I couldn't help but feel the need to rescue as many as I could. Needless to say about 20 5-6" rainbows made their way into my pond. I am hoping that they will make it through the summer. Surface temps in my pond reach the 70's, the bottom stays in the low 60's. I saw a few of them today and they seem happy and are eating bugs from the surface. I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you folks posted. Any advice from the trout pros out there?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bassandgrass
Well I was canoeing the river the other day and came across a small pool that was separated from the river due to lower water levels of summer. In this pool were about a hundred trout 3 - 6 inchers. Being the big hearted guy I am I couldn't help but feel the need to rescue as many as I could. Needless to say about 20 5-6" rainbows made their way into my pond. I am hoping that they will make it through the summer. Surface temps in my pond reach the 70's, the bottom stays in the low 60's. I saw a few of them today and they seem happy and are eating bugs from the surface. I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you folks posted. Any advice from the trout pros out there?

Not sure if I'm a trout pro but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. \:D

Seriously, sounds to me like the only thing you can do is wait and see if they make it through the summer. Just be aware just because the bottom temps are O.K. that doesn't mean there is enough dissolved oxygen through the summer.

Do you have any other fish in the pond?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/16/08 10:53 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Yeah, BG, PS, BHC, and a about a dozen 10"LMB. It's a 2+ acre gravel pit pond. I will keep an eye out for casualties over the summer.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bassandgrass
Yeah, BG, PS, BHC, and a about a dozen 10"LMB. It's a 2+ acre gravel pit pond. I will keep an eye out for casualties over the summer.

Trout don't necessarily float up if they croak. Many die on the bottom and stay there. Additionally if some do float up they may be removed at night or really early in the morning by other animals and you will never see them.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/05/09 08:40 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks Cecil,
So far I have seen a few aggressive surface strikes on various insects by the trout. Guess I will have to try to catch some trout next year to see if they survived.I will update when that time comes.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Surprise surprise while fishing for Bluegill and pumpkinseeds! Turns out what I thought were baby trout (last summer)were actually coho salmon! I caught a couple the last couple days a 12 and 15 incher. As I pulled them up, I noticed they looked a little different than trout: forked tail, more slender jaw line, sharper teeth, and a dark tongue. I kept the 15" for the plate, meat is very pink. They obviously survived the summer temps this year in the pond and seem to be growing well. Any one know anything about landlocked salmon? I will try to get some pics in the future.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Very cool!!!!!!!! I'd bet if they weren't accidetally put in with fish you stocked, that the parents swam into your pond during an overflow event and spawned. Could they have entered from an upstream pond?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What information are you looking for in particular about landlocked salmon?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I guess I would like to know what size do they usually reach? How long will they live without venturing into salt water?

Rainman, I'm sure they were put in by someone. My pond is an excavated gravel pit. There is a chance that during a great flood that the creek that borders my property could enter the pond, but haven't seen it yet even though we've had some real gully washers the past couple winters.

Anyway I am excited to find out more about these fish. I will post any new info as I go along this new twist in my pond journey.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think they will keep on growing as long as they have a good food source. They were stocked in lake Michigan to help control alwives, generations have never seen a drop of salt water. I think the state record is 20#, 2 oz.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Wow! Are they a more open water type fish or do they look for cover like bass? I am wondering how they will fit into the ecosystem. If they are more open water cruisers they should fit in nicely since that is an area of the pond not really being utilized. Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
From what I can remember when catching them in Lake Michigan, we trolled in open water, the depth depended on the temp. Chinook (or King) salmon tended to hang nearer the bottom. We could see them on the sonar coming up to look at the lures (the Kings). As for spawning, they travelled up the tributory streams to spawn in flowing water.

Last edited by esshup; 09/05/09 01:59 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
All I can add is that they taste great!

I subscribe!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
They only have a three year life span.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks for the info guys. Cecil I kind of figured they might have a short life span due to their returning to spawn after 2-3 years at sea. Guess the same applies in fresh water, now how to make an artificial tributary?! ;-)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Most lake run Pacific salmon reach much smaller sizes in lakes and I would assume even smaller sizes in a pond. Most salmon require quite cold and highly oxygenated waters. It is quite rare they are holding over in your pond through the summer. What are the basic details of your pond? Size, depth, water source? Just curious... What forage fish species do you have present? I don't have much experience with Pacific salmon in lakes, but I am fairly familiar with Atlantic salmon, brown and rainbow trout. They mostly feed on midges and benthic invertebrates at smaller sizes and then begin feeding on fish after they reach 12"-14" in size. Which fish depends on the lake. In a couple of the bigger lakes I fish, they feed heavily on alewife and rainbow smelt. In smaller ones, it's mostly golden shiners and spottail shiners.

Do you have a photo of these salmon you are catching?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
No pics yet. Pond is just over 2acres 18-24ft max depth. Fish include BG, Pumpkinseed, LMB, and BHC. Caddis, damsel, dragon, and may, flies are regulars through the year. It fills from rain and groundwater. Level fluctuates about 4-6 feet depending on amount of rain each summer. Bottom temps hover around 62 surface in the 70's. They held over the hottest part of this summer for sure, they were introduced in July 08 so two summers so far.
I forgot to mention that the 15 incher I kept had immature eggs developing. Maybe this will be their last fall of growth? Sea run silvers usually move into the rivers to spawn starting in October around here.

Last edited by bassandgrass; 09/06/09 01:08 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very interesting... I'd love to see a pic of some of these "pond locked" salmon. I am very intrigued, that is for sure!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
so cool.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd take a trip back to the river and see if that pool is there this year!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Well I finally landed another pond salmon. After a long dry spell, I was starting to wonder if I'd ever see another then wham! 2 in just a couple minutes. Attached is a pic I took with my phone. Seems that they made it through another summer.

When cleaning this one also had immature roe sacks. Hope they keep growing.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very nice! How long was that fish... Very pretty!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice! What did you catch it on?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Very cool!

Have you been keeping records of pond temperatures? It'd be interesting to know what types of conditions they're handling.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Nice fish, do you use any type of aeration in your pond?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 08:45 PM
Is this planktonic algae?