Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 797 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124048 07/05/08 08:12 PM
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Just stocked the new pond, wife would love to see some painted or red ear sliders in the pond, thought i would ask the opinions here on such. I know in time, the snappers will show up, neighbor has a swampy 75 year old pond loaded with em so its just a matter of time before they smell my pond and decide to go for a stroll.

Was thinking of anchoring a floating log for them to sun on, close to the deck.

If I introduce either species, what are the problems with each as far as reproducing, stunting, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey Mark B. I would also like some turtles for my new pond. I'll bet there are several pondmeisters who would gladly let us take theirs. \:\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My guess is that 3-4 turtles per acre are probably just as beneficial as they are harmful. Problem is, (here in the South for sure!)they don't stop coming.

I have dozens, and although I absolutely hate to do it, I have been shooting a few. I tried chumming them with fish pellets, to see if I could get them within netting range. Well, I netted 4 one day, and drove them to a small bayou. The next day, the other turtles wouldn't come within 100 feet of us! I guess word travels fast in a small pond. \:D

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I have a couple of turtles that call my pond home. I really like them. Mine are generic North American Pond turtles as far as I can tell. Mine are fairly skittish - if you get closer that about 5 feet they will dissapear into the water.

They do need a place to sun so if you don't have a place then anchoring a log is a good idea. Mine use a bush that overhangs the pond.

Bobad, have you ever tried a turtle trap? They sell them at Memphis Net. Here's the link

Memphis Net

Search on turtle traps.

Here's one of my turtles....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Bobad, have you ever tried a turtle trap? They sell them at Memphis Net. Here's the link

Beautiful little turtle Jeff. I really do like turtles (and all critters). Here in crawfish and rice country, they are so numerous they're considered major pests. It's not unusual to see around 25 freshly killed turtles on the road where they brave traffic traveling from 1 rice field to another.

Thanks for the link. I've been meaning to build a tip trap. I've been told they work just great for live catch and release.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I certainly understand your situation Bobad and realize that in other areas of the country they can be a major pest. Basically ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Just don't tell my wife, she might get all medieval on ya. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
If you build it they will come.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
My son's second grade class came out to our pond this last spring for their "Outdoor Day". My wife arranged for a local DNR officer to set up turtle traps and take the kids out to look at what was caught.

This is my youngest with a future soup ingredient.

The business end!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Great photo.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
The only problem i have is that some of my fish look to have bite marks on them. I have even watched them attack a couple of fish in the grass where they were hideing. So every once in a while i go turtle fishing with bread and a bobber. Works great and it dont hurt them . I dont mind the turtles but they multiply very fast.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I want a balanced, natural pond that is a habitat for a wide variety of fish and wildlife. Part of that goal is to have turtles, snakes, birds, etc. I don't want an overabundance of turtles any more than I want overpopulated fish. If I'm very lucky the critters will balance themselves out, most likely I'll have to actively thin some critters myself.

Wild predators will eat some of my fish, and in theory these will be the inferior specimens and not the largest or strongest. For what it's worth, a snake that has to unhinge it's jaw to eat a fish will probably not eat again for weeks and maybe months. They don't burn many calories just laying there all day...

Let's see now, that's $.02 X 1000, I think that's twenty bucks worth of my opinion I've donated so far. \:\)

M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok, back to the oiginal question, Red Ears or Painted? and are there any reasons why one over the other??
Thanks folks
Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I know that I've got a bunch of paints but I don't think that I have seen a red ear. Will they over winter as far north as Dayton? I'd go with some red ears if you want to stock and they will over winter based on the fact that you know you will have paints whether you stock them or not.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
Red Ears are more aggressive and larger in general. I think you should go with Painteds. They aren't nearly as common and they look better. At least in my opinion they look better. I'm sure many would disagree.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've never had much of a choice about what kind of turtles I wind up with.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I've never had much of a choice about what kind of turtles I wind up with.

Other than the dead variety?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
GW, you're right that snakes are very efficient, but turtles can eat quite a bit. 2 or 3 of each per acre shouldn't make much impact. Be careful what you wish for, because Turtles and snakes are sneaky.

I can walk around my pond and see maybe 1 snake and 8-10 turtles. Then I can drive around the pond mowing on my tractor, and see maybe 6 snakes and 25 turtles. Last time I mowed, I saw 3 huge diamondback watersnakes take off from the bank. I never knew they were there. While they're interesting and harmless, snakes that big can really eat a lot of medium size BG.

I have to figure out a strategy to thin them both out. I can chum the turtles and net 3 or 4 per week (I release them a mile away in a bayou), but that doesn't make much of a dent. I'm seriously wishing I had an alligator, which would keep them thinned and not eat many fish.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
That's reasonable bobad, but once again it all depends on a person's goals, right?

My goals are different than the average bear. I'm lazy and I don't want the work that goes with maintaining a high density of fish. (I'm looking at you Bruce and Cecil \:\) ) Also my pond isn't about LMB, it's about the brim. In the absence of a larger fish to thin them out I'll be struggling to catch and trap enough of them. By next year I will probably remove every medium sized fish I catch, maybe the larger ones too.

I may end up thinning out the turtles also, but I'll always welcome a certain number of them to play the role that stunted LMB play in a trophy brim pond.

You all know that I'm only guessing about the future because I'm new to pond management. I can always change my mind and I often do.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have actually had a snapper bite a hole through my metal mesh fish basket and get a hunk of one of my two lb. channels before I could get him off the basket. =/

Get out and fish.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I thin mine a couple times a season. My wife loves'em, so I don't mind a few. when I look out and see a dozen or so on the bank... time to thin. I use a homemade trap, basically a rectangle of PVC with a made-up basket of wire mesh underneath. Ramps on each side and a small floating plank in the center to put a can of sardines on. (I'll try to remember to snap a pic) It's really crude but does the job and was cheap.
So anybody that wants some sliders, come and get'em! I usually take them to work and toss them in the big drainage canal beside the station house, or give them to co-workers with kids if they want'em.

Jeff-

1 acre pond, slopes to 15ft depth. Has BG and few LMB plus a half dozen pesky sliders.
[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...