Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, Boondoggle, phinfan), 958 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123483 06/30/08 12:08 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S

I recently moved on an 8 acre pond in SC that I will be taking over the management of and have some questions. The pond has an ok LB population but the bass are skinny, most are 10-12" the rest are 4 to 10#. I see signs of brim beds but not what I would think are a lot. The pond does have a lot of white perch. Water quality is good. Now the questions. Are the white perch as bad for the pond as I think? How could I get rid of them? What is the best bait to stock..crayfish, fathead minnows, thread fins?

Thanks for your help...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It may be premature to stock anything until you get the white perch/crappie under control.

Here's my thoughts. Crappie have inconsistent and variable spawns with each female throwing approximately 22,000+ eggs. They also spawn before the other fish. Yeah, they can be a problem and I think you have correctly identified them as the culprit.

The skinny 12' inch fish are missing the 2 to 3 inch bg that they need. Since you seem to have a gap in your sizes, I expect the crappie either clobbered those year classes or they starved out due to heavy bg predation by crappie or by heavy predation on those years age classes by all members of the pond community.

That said, I have no idea how to eliminate crappie from an 8 acre water hole. There has been some discussions about hybrid stripers being a good predator for crappie. I like the idea but don't know of anyone who has tried it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure if it matters but they are white perch, I have not seen any crappie in the pond as of yet. But I'm sure they are what is keeping down the BG population as you said. I know I need to get the bait level higher in the pond but I don't want to go broke feeding FHM to the perch. Would crayfish be a good solution?

Lunker
Lunker
Is this type of white perch you are talking about? If so these white perch are bad news.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
That would be them. What can I do?

Lunker
Lunker
Are the white perch in the water shed above the pond too? Drainning and starting over would be the best option if you can keep the white perch out. If not, the other option would be to keep your pond very predator heavy. Are there any threadfin shad present in your pond too? If not, do not stock threadfin shad. We have two area lakes with white perch, the one with gizzard shad has gobs of stunted white perch as they are low on the prefence list for most predators. The one without the predators keep their numbers thinned down to where the white perch do not stunt.

Are you positve they are white perch and not white bass or something else?

Last edited by Shorty; 07/02/08 11:30 AM.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Yep, definitely white perch, 4-8". It's an 8 acre pond that I live on with 4 other houses around it. So draining is out of the question. The pond does not have any drainage above to bring in unwanteds. (3 feet low now due to no rain) No shad of any type that I have seen, only some small shore minnows. There is very little cover in the pond. I plan on sinking some brush that may give the bass a better chance at cracking down on the perch.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Is rotenone an option? I don't know about S.C., but in Nebraska the G&P will sell the stuff cheap to a pond owner.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Not sure what is it?

Lunker
Lunker

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Don't think the neighbors would care for that!!!

Sounds like catching as many as I can and hopeing the bass take care of the rest is my best bet. Thanks for the help I’m sure I’ll be around with more questions soon.

Lunker
Lunker
Skeeter Joe, with white perch present you likely have to put up with skinny LMB to keep the white perch under control. In the 1800 acre lake near Lincoln that has Gshad and White Perch our Game & Parks department has stocked the lake heavily with flathead catfish to combat the white perch, the problem is that the flathead also eat the other more desirable fish in the lake too. With Gshad present the white operch rarely exceed 5" in this lake. Here is a picture of a 40# flathead from last year from this lake lots of white perch & Gshad. I'm sure this one could easily eat a 5lb bass for lunch. \:o

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I might have to run over to Santee Cooper and get one like that! I have caught some cats, chanel I think, up to 4lb.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Skeeter just got back from working in SC if you want another opinion let us know. Yes you are on the right track it seems. See what kind of progress you can make on the WP this year by removing those when caguht. Also I suggest since your starting to run relative weights on your bas. This wil tell you if they are getting fatter or not. Many other mgmt advice you can gather here as well. Thanks

Shorty that is a big catfish imagine how big it would look if done in the Condello pose.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Shorty that is a big catfish imagine how big it would look if done in the Condello pose.

Greg, I'm not sure if I could stretch my arms out that far and still hold the fish, this one is a little over 40#.

We should see if we can get Condello to talk about the two public lakes that have white perch in them near Lincoln, Pawnee and Branched Oak Lake. The one with GShad (BO) has more "issues" with WP than one (P) without GShad. There is an ongoing study to figure out why, the current thinking is that the GShad are much more prefered over the WP as prey items and when given a choice the WP will be ignored as a prey item which then leads to the WP stunting. Lots of very hungry stunted white perch are then thought to be very detrimental to the reproduction of other more desirable species of fish in the lake. Both flatheads and wipers are strictly catch and release at Branched Oak in an attempt to get the Wp numbers under control.

Lunker
Lunker
Alright, one more flathead picture from 2006 from our WP infested public lake, this one is an early attempt at the Condello fish picture taking techinque. \:D

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Boy, did I blow that one. I have heard crappie called white perch and made an assumption. Sorry about that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM