Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 740 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I REALLY want to aerate my new pond (still dry) is about 600' from the power lines running down the country road bordering my property. Do the electric companys run from the closest post, or does the nearest post need to have a transformer? Also, what are reasonable rates per foot, and how do they figure how many poles you need?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I had power run five years ago, they put in two post and a transformer. The power company just tied into the easiest route from the existing line. I just called them, the came out and measured than gave me an estimate..One thing, they do not put in your meter pole, you can do that yourself of get an electrician..The power company will then inspect it and install the meter. My cost was around $1200 for the two post and meter post..it has gone up since. AT 600', you will need four or five poles and they will probably put a transformer on the last pole before you meter pole.

Last edited by Sgt911; 06/13/08 08:51 AM.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I want to correct myself, they supply and sink the meter pole, you have to put the meter box on the pole itself before they sink the pole...its been five years ago

Last edited by Sgt911; 06/13/08 08:55 AM.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Eastland...

I have a Co-op power company and they ran my electricity for free. I just had to buy the meter pole for $400 from a hardware store and sink it. They told me they would run the wire to the meter, install poles and transformers, etc. for nothing. The catch was that they only do it once per parcel. Any additional runs I have to pay for. This was in June of 2003. If it was me and I had to pay for it, I would look at the additional cost to have them run it underground. I will look better for sure.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Huh?, is that Bluebonnet co-op?...did you have any additional poles added...I had to pay for the poles...this was a first run...my neighbor was is installing power this week and it will be about $3500...that is Bluebonnet and a first run also. we are just south of you in Lee Co.

Last edited by Sgt911; 06/17/08 01:17 PM.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I use Navasota Valley Co-op and have been pleased so far. They may have altered practices with the cost of copper and lumber going up so much. You can always call Navasota Valley and ask them and then maybe Bluebonnet will cut you a better deal. Let me know what you find out.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
We are in the process of running electricity to our property in Red River county near Paris, Texas. We had to use Lamar County Electric Coop. We were required to mount our own pole and get easements signed from all the property owners that were between the nearest pole and our property. The cost is going to be $3.40 per foot. We need to run the line about 5280 feet from the nearest pole. So do the math (5280 x 3.40 = 17,592). Ouch! Believe it or not that is good deal. I had my paper work in process before they raised the rates to $7.80 a foot, so they grandfathered me in. It is hard to comprehend that only spending 17 - 18 K is defined as a good deal.

Randal
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Randal...

That cost is most likely due to the cost of copper nowadays. Copper is running around $3 a pound for SCRAP. If you go to a store and price a foot of the gauge wires they are running to your property, it is probably more than $3. You are getting a fantastic deal.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
I also priced going with a combination solar/wind system, but the cost was close to the same and I never found a vendor who made me feel real comfortable regarding my questions around the long term maintenance of the system. I am just happy I was grandfathered in and was able to lock in the 3.40 per foot price for overhead power.

Last edited by Randal; 06/18/08 12:43 PM.

Randal
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Solar/wind is a good combination and the system typically lasts at least 20 years if the upkeep is done. Solar panels are guaranteed for 20 years and the bearings in a windmill will last forever if they are kept lubricated. The only things you would have to worry about are periods of low wind with cloudy days, acts of God, and battery upkeep. The batteries will usually last 15-20 years as well. You also have to severely limit your use of power to make this system work most of the time. Being "off grid" can be satisfying, but having the power lines hooked up when you need them is good for piece of mind.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Eastland...

http://www.grit.com/article/2008/05/Solar-Solutions.html

This is an article from Grit magazine about using solar and wind if you want to read it. Enjoy.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have been told that the reason you are seeing the cost of getting power run in is solely due to deregulation of the power companies. Unless you had to run power a very long ways they would do it for free because they were going to recouped their investment by you paying for electricity each month. These days that is not the case because you can buy your juice from anyone and they may or may not own the power lines in your area. It is my understanding that a lot of the installs that are now off loaded to independent contractors.

Last edited by rockytopper; 06/20/08 01:02 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Lunker
Lunker
Don't forget that the cost of copper is way, way up.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I really appreciate the responses and cost variances, you can't go in unarmed to an expense like this...they will NEVER tell you how to spend less money. It looks like the only power lines in the area are from American Electric Power, formerly West Texas Utilities. I'm in no real hurry and hope to get specifics on how they charge for installation, any info on AEP hookup charges would be greatly appreciated.

Lunker
Lunker
Eastland, if you know anybody who knows anybody who works in installation at the power company, pull all the strings you can to get info. 20+ years ago, when we hooked up, my old scoutmaster knew that we would pay through the nose for a 200 amp service - but that they would install a 400 amp service for free.

We got the 400 amp service.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
All co-ops are different. I recently ran electricity and it was not a pleasant experience. They are a co-op but they are also a monopoly for power in their particular area. I didn't have an opportunity because I live overseas, but I wish I had looked more into solar power before I committed to them running their lines.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Eastland...

Any update on your situation?

- Ancient Viking Proverb

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Eastland...

Any update on your situation?

- Ancient Viking Proverb

E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Yes, I have to call their customer service department to give them additional information before they will answer my questions. I'm calling them tomorrow to find out more...

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Keep us updated so we can keep advising. Remember, knowledge is power. Too bad we can't run our houses off of it.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

D
Lunker
Lunker
D

Recently ran power to the pavillion next to new pond. Cooke CO Elec ran 180' underground secondary & 250' above ground, new pole & transformer for $1184.00. I got the meter from them & built a meter & breaker box stand, set meter & breaker box, wired them together & they hooked up their wire.. Seems like most rural co-ops will negotiate costs if you are nice & let them know you are doing the work yourself & not made of money

E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Grim news, AEP (American Electric Power) gave me "a ballpark estimate for the installation of 7.2kV overhead primary would be around $8.00/ft for a straight line from point A to point B. If there are any angles then the cost is around $8.50/ft. You would be required to push the right of way if needed."

Any input? Is that realistic...I paid $837 to run electricity approx. 180 feet in 1997. One of the sayings I tend to agree with is "go with the times"...I'm likely to pay it soon, but what is 7.2kV overhead primary???

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
My rural Co-Op installed ours for free, but I did grant them 2 easements to shorten runs to adjoining properties.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Eastland
what is 7.2kV overhead primary???

That should be the last leg of the company's lines that they run from the main line (like on the road, at my house) to the final transformer that drops the voltage down to 220v for you to hook your pole and power box up to.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the electric run is going to a home that will actually USE the juice, the electric company sees a customer. If it terminates at a pole or garage, why would they want to cover the cost of installation? Co-ops are normally cheaper for installation and the subsequent power use is more expensive. Co-ops also have to answer to a smaller and more focused board of directors. Each new customer is a bit higher in profile. For this reason alone, scrutiny of return-on-investment is elevated.
-
I have to pull juice about 2300 feet; it's a co-op. We are going underground. I am going to have it estimated in the near future...letcha know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday