Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#121401 06/09/08 01:04 PM
Bennie Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm hoping this isn't too redundent of other posts.

I have a 1/3 acre pond, roughly 140 by 100 ft, 9 feet deep. the side by our house is shallower. It's heavily wooded on three sides (N, W, S)

No weeds except for duckweed.

Fish--been stocking slowly over time--bass, catfish, bluegill, some perch and lots of minnows; there are lots of frogs, snails, bugs, other fish food--seems full of life although my stocked fish I don't know where they are.

I've been running an aerator for a couple of years now. I have one membrane at 7 feet in the middle, and another membrane diffuser and two airstones in the corner by us as kind of a duckweed barrier to keep it out of our end.

every year the same thing happens--the duckweed covers the pond except for around the aeration. I skim it off and use it with a compost tumbler to make great compost. But duckweed is just too fast.

My question or appeal to talk about a general topic is enzymes and bacteria. Seems like a lot of options, lots of "proprietary mixes" lots of different claims and mix rates, rate intervals, etc.

Would it be possible to start a forum topic on this to discuss? I'm looking to get the pond in balance so the nutrients are gobbled up either by the enzymes/bacteria or other plants--just enough for my son to be able to toss a fishing line in the water and not just catch DW.

Anyone with success controlling duckweed with micro-organisms and how many years did it take?

I did start with some bacteria this year and in my opinion so far the bacteria have eaten away at the small stuff so that it seems like when I rake the pond I can scoop out even more bottom matter--sticks, leaves, etc. So I think it may be starting the long process--I just don't know how else to gauge success with this stuff. Any clues on what to look for? Thanks in advance.

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
The key with pond bacteria additives is give it time and use it regularly. When we talk to people about our bacteria products we always tell them to give the product at least 2-4 weeks before expecting to start seeing results. Now if you are talking about reducing bottom muck, that can take much longer depending upon how much you have.

What happens is when pond bacteria is introduced into the pond, they "wake-up" and begin feeding and multiplying. They do this until they reach a point that there is no longer enough food supply to maintain that population and they begin to die back. This is why it is important to add more bacteria at least monthly if not more often to ensure you keep a healthy working population.

Now, if you are hoping that microbes will help with your duckweed problem, you may be barking up the wrong tree as I have not heard of anyone successfully treating duckweed with pond bacteria

Natural Environmental Systems pond supplies for environmentally friendly pond maintenance solutions
Bennie Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I've seen on some websites and the explanations I've received that the bacteria/enzymes will eventually "starve out" the nutrients in the water that the duckweed thrive on, and once the pond is in "balance" the duckweed won't come back as thick the next year, etc.

The process I learned was

1) control nutrients
2) aerate
3) introduce bacteria/enzymes
4) introduce other fish, etc.

Then wait. after a season or two, the pond "balances" and then there might be a algae bloom for a while after the duckweed is gone and then the water will clear up.

I've also been told the enzyme/bacteria do not take kindly to herbicides. So if I had to kill the duckweed, would I do it now and then introduce more bacteria after the duckweed died?

I'm not against herbicides comepletely if it's the only way, but I don't really want to trade one weed for another either and get algae or something worse.

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 06/09/08 02:41 PM.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
x

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM