Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I sure would love to see a PB article about pond basics. I need to understand feeding, aeration, and fertilization. How does it effect the plankton bloom. There are many here who mix the water column, there are many others who have heavy fish populations and fear a DO crash. I'm hung up in the middle...and have a thousand questions.

1) With appropriate feeders in place, wouldn't the fish waste provide enough nitrites/ammonia/nitrates for a plankton bloom?
2) Assuming I'm already wrong with #1, what natural combinations cause a bloom? PH, Nitrites, Phosphate levels ???
3) If a person can naturally create the environment for a bloom, what are the water conditions and temps?

I'm sure this info exists somewhere, but pond peeps need the simplified tools to measure the dynamics, we need a measuring tool much like a RW chart. I would like to plug in my pond numbers, and see how healthy I am.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Maybe our mentor Bob Lusk will take this topic to heart and produce a couple feature sections in PBoss Mag around these very good questions. The questions and topics appear simple but good detailed and not the run-of-the-mill generalized answers with helpful, practical, meaty, and insightful suggestions will take lengthy complex answers due to the degree of variability and numerous situations where it "all depends". IN actuality numerous experts should weigh in on these topics to get the best practical answers. Numerous articles have appeared in PBoss mag providing generalized answers to your questions. For those articles see the indexes and contents of past PB issues prepared by Cody and listed in the Archives Section.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/07/08 10:00 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Thanks Bill, you have helped me countless times in the past, I appreciate you backing the idea of getting a "printed" detail analysis.

I have a gut feeling that says if you can keep the Phosphate levels down while feeding, you will get a bloom due to natural fertilization.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I completely agree with you Eastland. Basically we need a pond owners manual. "The Complete Idiots Guide to Pond Management." Or "Pond Management for CPAs and Other Dummies."

One complication that I can see is simply the amount of variables to take into account when managing a pond or diagnosing a problem. I hate to admit it and will probably receive a scarlet letter for mentioning this but I haven't (yet) purchased Bob's latest book "Perfect Pond." Does this new book have anything like that in it?

oh and before you all start yelling at me for not buying Perfect Pond, I want to make it publicly known that I do own three other of Bob's books and I have been a magazine subscriber for two years.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
"Raising Trophy Bass" (going through it currently in the reading room) goes over basics for fertilization. Do not fertilize if alkalinity is below 20 (whatever the units are), phosphorus is the limiting nutrient in most ponds, etc. I also recall hearing from somewhere else (last year's conference?) that fish feeds provide almost no phosphorus, to prevent unwanted blooms/plant growth in fish farm settings where heavy feeding provides all the food for the fish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images