Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119933 05/25/08 10:42 AM
I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
I hope this is the correct subject area... I'm a newbie here...
I've got a real fish emergency going on in my pond... I've lost about half my fish in a short period of time... There is a fungus and/or parasite growing on gills and on the sides of their bodies... Also around the mouth... I've tried fungus and parasite remedies bought at Wal*Mart (my pond is 260 gallons) which does seem to have slowed things down, but the fish still refuse to eat... Most of my fish are ten years old, and perhaps 1/4 of them are about 6 years old... I have no clue what else to try next, but if I can't get this under control and get them eating again, I'm sure to loose all my fish... Any suggestion and help would be greatly appreciated...
Here is a linke to some of my pond pictures on my personal website: http://www.handloadingforhunting.com/pond2007.html
Dave

Last edited by IronKnees; 05/25/08 10:43 AM.

Lord, Please help me to be just half the man my dog thinks I am...
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
IronKnees, First, welcome to the forum!

From looking at your pics, my first thought is you are EXTEREMLY overstocked. I believe this is causing the stress. Try to change 90% of your water, add salt as recommended and hope for the best. You could try a product called "Pima Fix" made by aquarium pharmacueticals but it will be very expensive. You can lower your water level to about 50 gallons to decrease the dosages required but chang the water often if you do.

Good luck on this! Unfortunately for you in this situation, most of the vast info found here is for large ponds with sportfish.

Rainman #119949 05/25/08 01:37 PM
I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
Rainman... You are right about the overstock... My problem is, about ten years ago I bought a BUNCH of cheap (feeder stock) goldfish, and most lived... The oldest who was the first to die was a 13 inch female... Actually the pictures are a bit deceiving in that area in that to take the pictures I'd toss in a bit of food, and everybody would bunch up all in the same place long enough for me to get pictures instead of ducking under the lily pads, but again, you are right... They outgrew my pond... That problem is no longer an issue due to the loss though... My goal now is to save the rest... I just did a water change this morning and did add an appropriate amount of salt... Also, interestingly, while sitting outside playing with (more like YELLING AT) my grandkids, the fish did show interest in food, so maybe the tide is turning...
Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the pictures and thanks again for the reply..
By the way, I take wildlife pictures and have just posted some fox kits, coons etc. on my website and I know the folks here would get a kick out of them... I'll give you two links...
http://www.handloadingforhunting.com/gamecampics2008kritters.html
and
http://www.handloadingforhunting.com/gamecampics2008.html which is the first of several pages of deer, some quite good... Sure hope you enjoy... Dave david_quick@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by IronKnees; 05/25/08 01:38 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
IronKnees, should you not remove some fish? If you have overcrowding causing stress to the fish, won't that continue to happen again and again unless you thin the herd?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #120012 05/26/08 07:54 AM
I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
There is no need to remove any now... Half my fish have died and the population is much better balanced now... I continue to be encouraged as this morning the males were chasing the females and they ate last night and again this morning for me after the water change and the addition of about one teaspoon of salt per gal... I sure appreciate all the replies, and please do enjoy my other wildlife photographs... Dave

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ironknees,

Just curious if you have anything to measure ammonia. Usually in a pond that size overcrowding and ammonia levels go hand in hand.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
Actually no, but the over population is no longer a problem... I took the advice from someone and did a partial water change and added one teaspoon of salt per gal... Since then, the fish seem fine, have started eating and it looks like everything is normal again...Thanks a bunch.. Dave

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
IronKnees- Sounds like a bout of parasites (gill flukes) brought on by stress of lower water quality. You can treat the fish from the inside out using a medicated food.

One of my clients turned us onto a great medicated fish food by the following: alpharmafish.com.

It is very expensive but it has cured problems like ich, gill flukes and comonears desease in several of our client's ponds. A 25%-50% water change is recommended in a pond as small as yours at least twice a year, Fall and spring.

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
Thanks for the reply... Sorry it's taken me so long to put this picture on.. Been busy with family over the weekend... This picture shows what most of the problem was... It seems to be over now though, and the fish are eating, the males are running the females all over the place, and I can't seem any more fish with this problem... The population has been reduced (by death) to about 1/2 what I had... Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 11:48 PM