Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
3 members (simon, Boondoggle, Freunb02), 703 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I've decided to sell BioPods via the internet but I'm not sure what the best way to proceed might be. Is a blog with a PayPal link good enough? Does anyone recommend a particular blog site or is it better to set up my own? I've registered a domain name in case a unique website is better.

I'm willing to pay if that's what's necessary to get something going. If I go with a unique domain I would like the website management to be simple enough that I could update it with new reports and images.

I've set up one blogspot address using BlackSoldierFlyProject.blogspot, but I'm not sure I like that name. I chose it because that's the name of my BSF thread here at Pond Boss. That thread appears to be attracting the attention of people looking into BSF. I was thinking that MyBlackSoldierFlyProject seemed less pretentious, but maybe it's too long.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by GW; 05/12/08 06:40 PM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Whats a biopod?

Definitely use Paypal, its worth the fees for the security. There are lots of sites that help you build a simple site step by step. Most are pretty cheap, $20 a month or so for halfway decent bandwidth. I used to use Tripod but its been a couple years, I am sure there are better sites available now. You just need to look around a bit and find the best deal.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks rexcramer. BioPods are a product for raising Black Soldier Flies in a process similar to composting or raising worms. I have a thread about it on this forum and there is a link to it in my signature.

I'll take a look at tripod.

Lunker
Lunker
Geocities will let you set up something for free. I keep my on-line photos at Geocities, but I have never used it for a website. Our (Jaeger Wald's) old Graphic Artist had her business website there.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you have your on domain and microsoft front page you can build and maintain your on site using FTP to up load to your host provider. Front page is cut and paste like all of MS office products.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks Theo. A quick read about Geocities made me think it's passed it's prime, but I'll look into it more.

RT, I'll check out front page, but I don't know anything about FTP. I think I'm getting frustrated because the BioPods will be ready soon and I'm not making much progress.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
GW, If you just want to sell a product, why not use eBay or something similar? You need access to a large audience and you need a lot of traffic checking out your item.

There are millions of websites sitting out there that were built to sell something that never sold a single item or perhaps sold one or two items.

There is nothing quick and easy about Internet marketing, no matter what you have heard.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Dwight I'm not motivated to try and support myself selling BioPods. What I really want is a place to post my BSF tests and images, at the same time allowing someone to purchase a unit through me if they care to. I think blogging is close to what I have in mind, but I think it might be a little limiting.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hi GW. I use Network Solutions for my web page hosting and creation. You might want to check them out. They have an easy and very extensive web page creation software. I have used it to set up 3 different web pages.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
GW, Check out Ning.com. It is about as easy as it gets and it is a free online service.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
GW - you might get in touch with Forum member teehjaeh57. He does this commercially, and has donated a web page design for the silent auction.

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks all. I'll at least get a blog started using one of the easy/free blogging sites and see where it goes from there.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Hey GW

Received your PM and rest assured I would do anything for forum guys that I can. Also, I appreciate you keeping us in mind. I need to understand better exactly what you want to accomplish and see if it's cost effective/prohibitive to go with us or if instead a free/super low cost service could suffice in order achieve your goals - free and cheap usually being the preferred course of action.

I am traveling and headed out West with Condello tomorrow for another clandestine operation - but this will receive my full attention Thursday and Friday. In the meantime feel free to check out http://www.airvaecommerce.com and http://www.airvae.com - we need to update our webfolio but it gives you a general idea of our capabilities.

BTW - I am eager to learn more about these Black Soldier Flies...sounds very cool.

Will be in touch!

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks TJ, I'll put some more thought into what I want in a website.

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
GW

I think NVU is a good program to make a website with.
After it is sat up you create or update pages on your computer and then it can send them to your webhost.
Hostmonster.com @ $5 month is who I chose as a webhost.
Haven't even started to use up my allotted disk space.
NVU
Hostmonster
I tried a couple of the site builder programs, but I liked being able to just create a page and upload it much better.
If time is limited getting someone to set everything up would probably be worth it.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks Kent, NVU looks promising.

So far I've played around with blogspot. I don't want to put too much effort into it yet until I decide which way to go.

Here it is: http://blacksoldierflyproject.blogspot.com/

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I second NVU. Great program, and portable. Just drag it to a USB flash drive and run it anywhere.

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I appreciate the advice. Since I want a blog I ended up downloading WordPress and installing at my new domain. I changed the link in my sig to direct to the new site.

Thanks all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday