Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,320
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Zep, Brian from Texas, Sunil, tim k, dcwandj, JoshMI), 991 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118403 05/11/08 08:26 PM
D
DonJovi Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Here is the situation. I had a guy who wanted to paint my fence come on to my property a few days ago. My property is 7 acres and is totaly fenced with a two acre fenced tract that has two gates on the driveway going to my home. The painter closes the first gate by the road and leaves the second gate open. After telling him several times I was not ready to paint my fence I look down and see that the closest gate is open and he tells me he was afraid my dogs where going to bite so he left it open. Inside that fenced lot is my 2 year old's lamb that the dogs love to run if they get the chance. As he gets ready to leave I tell him I will close the gate he left open (so I can hold my bloodhound and keep him away from the lamb). Long story short the bloodhound gets in and starts running the lamb and my German Shepherd joins him. At this point I am afraid the paint guy is going to open the gate by the road and my dogs and lamb will be history. I get to my blood hound grab him by the neck open and close a 16 foot gate just so he can leave. Then I spend another 10 minutes getting the German Sheppherd to stop running the lamb so I can get back to my 2 year old who is eating Cheetos and watching Sponge Bob. I was pissed that someone who would not close a gate that was already closed. I could of had more live stock in that 2 acres that could have ran into the other 5 acres, that would have been a nightmare getting that sorted out.

So I need to post some signs so that anyone coming in (non family) knows to beware of the dogs and keep the all the gates closed. I am afraid the meter man, Fed Ex, or UPS man will let my dogs out. What should I put on a sign that is neat, simple and nice.

Thanks for letting me vent. And this dude is not getting my business. He started out at $600 and I had him down to $450, just for that he is not getting a dime from me. SOB was going to charge me $600 an he folded to $450 in 5 minutes.

Donnie

1 Acre pond in Central KY
CNBG or BG?,CC,& LMB
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Donnie, most people who approach gates in rural area know that the owners may have livestock of some kind. I think you were dealing with a #$@$^%#@.

I think a sign at each gate saying something about valuable animals and PLEASE KEEP ALL GATES CLOSED should, for the most part, suffice.

BTW, anybody that would paint a couple of acres of fence for $450 is most likely a dummy or a crook.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
"" What Dave said. Though perhaps he was just lacking in the 'department of knowledge'? ;\)

Now if he'll really do seven acres of fence painting for $450... send him up to me. Maybe he'll to 10 for $500 and paint my house while he's at it. HA

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There is an Alpaca Farm (don't laugh there are Alpaca Farms (ranches?) all over El Dorado County) anyhoo this Alpaca Farm has a store on the property (Alpaca wool socks, gloves, etc). To get into the Alpaca Farm you have to go through two gates that are about 30 to 40 feet apart. They have signs on each gate that says something like "Roaming Livestock - Please close this Gate."

It gets the message across, even to dumb city folk like myself.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
DonJovi Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I have about 400 feet of 4 plank wood fence and about 60 other wood posts that need painting also. So I take $450 is not a good price? I have never priced it yet and was really wanting to look around while the wood seasoned.

I like the idea of roaming live stock. Maybe I can incorporate something like that with a beware of dogs sign.

CNBG or BG?,CC,& LMB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How about, DO NOT LEAVE GATES OPEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! THAT MEANS YOU!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/12/08 01:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
There is no question that adding "THIS MEANS YOU" to any sign does give a brief pause to the reader.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'd put the following:

"Luke 11:21.

Oh by the way, please shut the gate."

"Roaming livestock" and "Beware of Dogs" signs are also a good cohice.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
I'd put the following:

"Roaming livestock" and "Beware of Dogs" signs are also a good cohice.

That's too nice.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You might also consider installing a cattle guard at each gate.

SIGN: "I'll shoot any SOB that leaves the gate open and lets my guard dogs eat my 2 year old's lamb."

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'd put the following:

I like this one, it is humorous, but still gets the message across.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bbjr
I'd put the following:

I like this one, it is humorous, but still gets the message across.

Agreed...but unfortunately, the meatheads that would leave a farm gate open also think that this is the time that Luke Skywalker can do a quarter mile on a land speeder.

D
DonJovi Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

SIGN: "I'll shoot any SOB that leaves the gate open and lets my guard dogs eat my 2 year old's lamb."

Dave I needed a good laugh! Thanks!

Donnie

CNBG or BG?,CC,& LMB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

\:D \:D \:D

Dave that made me laugh. It's right to the point!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday