Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 933 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
archer Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I had the GSF invasion in my new pond last year, and have since trapped or caught out quite a few of them (177 so far). Last night I caught a 7" that weighed 7 oz. I also had some 1.5" in my trap along with a 4". I usually throw back all GSF that are 3" or less for bass food, figuring the 9-11" LMB and 10-14" HSB wouldn't be able to eat the 4" and bigger.

Does this sound like a valid approach to eliminate GSF while still taking advantage of the food they provide ? Should I remove ALL regardless of size ? Would there be a downside to using a slot for culling, say all 4-6" must GO, all babies stay, and large adults (the few that make it above 6") stay to breed more food. Is cross breeding with CNBG an issue if larger GSF are present?

I have Tilapia and CNBG to feed the bass, plus AQMX twice/day.

Thanks,
Darryl

Thanks,

Darryl
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Darryl do you want the bigger ones to eat ? You can of course mortally wound the bigger ones (or for that matter all of them) and put them back in for fish food. The plan you are on should over time get most of the GSF out as the CNBG will out compete them through spawning with your help. If I were going to draw a size line based on the size of your LMB and HSB it would be 4 inches. Less than 4 - put them back - 4 or over take them out or wound and put back.

Probably not a problem with crossing with the CNBG but why chance it ? Because they take up space , don't produce as much LMB/HSB forage and compete with CNBG I would not want an ongoing population spawning in a LMB/BG pond.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
LOL \:D This is great !!! ewest's dark side is coming out, now we know how he really feels about Green Sunfish :

mortally wound the bigger ones, or for that matter all of them, and put them back in !!!

I suspect a revolt from the local GSF lovers or PETA !!!

late edit: If you already feed and have Tilapia and CNBG, toss all greenies over the shoulder for the critters.

Lunker
Lunker
Be sure "mortally wounded" really means "mortally wounded." I thought I was doing that with GSH, then I re-caught a couple of Shiners that had recovered.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I can't find an appropriate emoticon to express my feelings about this.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Archer, I wouldn't really worry about them. Over time, they will not be able to compete with Bluegill spawning rates.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Eastland nothing dark about making forage fish more subject to being foraged. At least that way its quick and useful in growing fish and not death by a thousand coon or ant bites. I call that practical fisheries management . This of course assumes you want to get rid of the GSF from a LMB/BG pond. If one is trapping them anyway and intends that they become forage then why not be efficient at the job.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Archer, if you throw them back in, you will continue to see them mixing with your CNBG population, if you catch one, don't put in back in alive.

Ewest, if archer just throws them into a blender, he can dump them back in to feed the smaller forage fish! Is there a battery powered "pocket blender"? \:D

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Mortally wounded and returned for forage??????

Green Sunfish smoothies?????

Does the blasphemy never stop?

The GSA will in conjunction with the Warmouth Technology Foundation (WTF) has developed a "new and improved" Black Soldier Fly. We have bred hordes of them and will be releasing them in the general vicinity of anyone that continues to abuse the either the mighty GSF or the magnificent Warmouth.

Preliminary testing indicates that although these new and improved BSF warriors may not critically injure you they could in fact cause a serious skin blemish.

You have been warned.

PS we had to abort Operation Angry Weasel. As it turns out weasels are both hard to catch and difficult to train. In addition they are easy to anger and can give a vicious bite especially during training sessions.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
... the Warmouth Technology Foundation (WTF) ...

WTF?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Don't knock the Warmouth Technology Foundation. They are a classy organization.

Heck they even have their own T Shirts...

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
WTF, we know about fish! \:D

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
GW, DIED, JHAP: I am a new member to this forum who has been reading threads over a few months. I am humbly seeking membership in the GSA.

I have begun attempting to manage a 3/4 acre pond on family land. My goal is good bass fishing while limiting stunted bass as much as possible. It used to be a catfish pond. They're gone, and it became overrun with GSF. Before I became educated about pond management whatsoever through this forum, I put in 50 LMB (form a buddies' pond) around 1/2 lb. each to "eat the pond perch"--(I didn't even know they were GSF at the time). That was 3 years ago. Now my population of bass is exploding. I am currently trying to remove slot-size bass! I have caught some bass over 3 lbs. I assume those are my original releases. I also am currently trying to catch and release BG (bass forage-more info I gleaned from this website- I didn't previously know that GSF wouldn't breed enough to be a good source) from a buddies pond into my pond. I wish I had more $ to spare to buy adult BG; I am doing it the "hard way". I released 28 BG the other day, 2 were found floating the next day. Approximately how many adult BG should I plan to add to establish a breeding popula

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
GW, DIED, JHAP: I am a new member to this forum who has been reading threads over a few months. I am humbly seeking membership in the GSA.

I have begun attempting to manage a 3/4 acre pond on family land. My goal is good bass fishing while limiting stunted bass as much as possible. It used to be a catfish pond. They're gone, and it became overrun with GSF. Before I became educated about pond management whatsoever through this forum, I put in 50 LMB (form a buddies' pond) around 1/2 lb. each to "eat the pond perch"--(I didn't even know they were GSF at the time). That was 3 years ago. Now my population of bass is exploding. I am currently trying to remove slot-size bass! I have caught some bass over 3 lbs. I assume those are my original releases. I also am currently trying to catch and release BG (bass forage-more info I gleaned from this website- I didn't previously know that GSF wouldn't breed enough to be a good source) from a buddies pond into my pond. I wish I had more $ to spare to buy adult BG; I am doing it the "hard way". I released 28 BG the other day, 2 were found floating the next day. Approximately how many adult BG should I plan to add to establish a breeding population for bass forage?
Also are BG caught off their bed(is this unethical??) for stocking gonna be all males? I caught some that looked like what I think are females.

Also, (this is for GW, DIED, JHAP) the remaining GSF in my pond after the bass decimated the small ones are rather large! 3/4 lb is what my buddy and I have been catching! We caught 7 in that range a couple of weeks ago. I catch and release them(even though they compete w/my bass) because they are fun and interesting. I like them also because my son will soon be fishing and they are easy to catch.

One more thing--My pond is in the middle of a pine forest with sweetgums and other trees and grassy spots around the waters edge--also lots of deer, turkey, frogs, etc use my pond.
Question: Do pine trees around a pond affect it? I think I remember hearing somewhere the runoff from the pine needles being acidic(??) and affecting catfish ponds(mines not a catfish pond now, just wondering if it would affect bass/lepomis..

THANKS and I love this forum!
Matt

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Cougar,

Although you first committed a minor blasphemy, the GSA membership committee will overlook this indisgression and recommend you for full fledged membership. It is obvious that you saw the light and realized how magnificant the mighty Green Sunfish is.

You must arise each day and take the following oath that was penned by Bbjr:

I pledge to manage my pond in the best interest of the almighty green sunfish and protect it from heretical blasphemy.

You will receive in the mail your membership package along with the secret decoder ring, GSA iron on patch and a metric to american conversion chart (since Mr. Condello refuses to stop using the confusing and antiquated metric system).

Remember however, although you can quit the GSA only we can terminate your membership.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh and in response to your other questions/comments:

Originally Posted By: cougar
Also, (this is for GW, DIED, JHAP) the remaining GSF in my pond after the bass decimated the small ones are rather large! 3/4 lb is what my buddy and I have been catching! We caught 7 in that range a couple of weeks ago. I catch and release them(even though they compete w/my bass) because they are fun and interesting.

3/4 of a pound is a fair size GSF. DIED has a few that are 1.25lbs (we're not worthy). They are real fighters which is why we like em.

Originally Posted By: cougar
One more thing--My pond is in the middle of a pine forest with sweetgums and other trees and grassy spots around the waters edge--also lots of deer, turkey, frogs, etc use my pond.

My pond is surrounded by Pines and Cedars, I've never noticed any real problems. The pollen can be a pain but other than that I've haven't noticed any issues.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
cougar:

To look at your non-GSA related questions (if I may have the dispensation to do so from GSA Grandmaster JHAP), we usually recommend at least 30-50 adult BG per acre to introduce a good BG population. You are probably past that point now; I don't think more would hurt.

I bet you are catching both male & female BG off the beds, but Condello, Cody, or other more experienced PMs would probably have a better idea.

Any forest, especially pine, is liable to acidify a pond's water to some extent. PH test kits aren't too expensive, IIRC, and would help let you know if lime application (to compensate) is warranted.

FWIW, I think it is only unethical to make me get out of my bed. Fishing off spawning beds may go with or against the grain of the management of a particular species.

-S. M. Stirling
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Thanks for the replies Theo and Jeff!

Been busy transplanting more adult BG(14 more)

Jeff, where should I send my dues?

I will have a GSF over a lb in the not to distant future!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
welcome cougar. i wouldnt worry about the GSF competing w/ bass for food for long in the presence of BG. from what i have learned and seen, GSF are preferred bass forage over BG because of their slimmer body shape. the BG may actually take hold quicker because the bass have "the other green meat" choice on the menu. the BG will eventually outcompete the GSF, and large GSF will become a rare treat in your pond. thats my take on life anyways, glad to have you aboard \:\)

GSF are people too!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
"the other green meat"

\:D \:D \:D

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
ATTENTION: COUGAR AND ALL GSA MEMBERS

We at WTF, in the spirit of friendly competition do hereby challenge you to a contest. The goal is to be the first to produce a world record specimen of our chosen species. To claim victory one must satisfy all rules and conditions as described by the PPRF and the fish must be entered on the site as per said rules.

Gentlemen, start your fishes.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
DIED, right now I don't have any bass over about 3 1/2 lbs. These are my original stockers. In other words, they're just not big enough to eat my big honking GSF! Are you saying that over time that as my big GSF get old and die off that eventually between the effects of bass predation and the BG outspawning them I will have no GSF? Sad. It would be fun to keep a few big GSF around.
Had I known all of this 3-4 years ago(how big GSF would grow when their #'s are limited) I might have introduced HSB or single-sex LMB and tried for a big Lepomis pond! Now that I have many LMB, I feel it irresponsible not to try to redeem myself be introducing a more prolific food source(BG).

GW--you are on!

My remaining GSF are growing as I type!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I stocked about 20 adult WM from Mr H's big pond to his small pond. The largest was about 7 inches and maybe 1/4 lb. How can I possibly win? These WM are in a pond with a similar number and size class of RES, and about a million FH. Basically these WM have as many minnows as they care to eat. \:\)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
WTF??? Are you challenging us to a friendly competition?

From what I have been able to determine the world record GSF is 2 pounds 2 ounces and world record WM is 2 pounds 7 ounces.

Even DIED's GSF have to bulk up to obtain world record status.

That being said in the spirit of friendly competition we accept the challenge. Using the GSA's red phone I spoke to the Govenator this morning. He is fully behind this competition. He told me "JHAP (we're on a first name basis), Don't be a Ghurly Man, the GSA must win this competition." Unfortunately due to California's budget crisis he will not provide any funding.

Catching either a 2 pound GSF or WM would be something.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
This just in, the California State Assembly has passed a new tax on trophy GSF.

-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond