Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
5 members (Omaha, gautprod, catscratch, Theo Gallus, Lake8), 1,133 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil got me to thinking about a new thread, that could possibly be turned into a very random book that just needs a catchy title to reach the USA today best sellers list.

Pond and Fish Mistakes that we have learned the hard way and then share with others our experiences. Dont be ashamed to post, if you arent messing up, you arent learning either.

We will use Cecil to get things started:
- keep male fish away from female fish if you want an all female pond.

- fish can swim under blocking nets unless they are staked down to the bottom of the pond

- make sure your fish cage is completely sealed up before launching and stocking fish

A few of Nates follies: Many of mine are BPB (Before Pond Boss) Many of mine are also APB (After Pond Boss)

-Dont stock small fish into an established pond- BPB

-Dont stock 10,000 bluegill into a 2 acre pond even if a fish farm says that is ok if you feed and aerate- BPB

-Put a lid on your fish cage- APB

I got more, but got to run.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
dont build a pond if ya aint got no water

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 04/28/08 05:21 PM.

GSF are people too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Be absolutely certain of the full pool water line before fixing the deck height for your dock.

It must be 1000X easier to place rock piles for structure BEFORE the pond fills w/ water.

Double check to be sure that the Kubota really is in reverse when backing away from the water line (especially when you are on the dam).

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca

Dave you know that's not as uncommon as you think. I assume you are referring to the folks that don't have the watershed to fill their pond and expect it to magically fill without one?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Guys and Gals I'm guardingly optimistic about the potential of unwanted reproduction. I handled the males quite a bit due to me measuring them, placing them in a cage, and them removing them again because I didn't trust the mesh size. Turns out I have lost about 20 percent of my males to fungus due to excessive handling. It's possible the male may have succumbed too. I did handle him even more as I was using him to ascertain if he could fit through the 3/4 inch mesh of the first cage I had doubts about. It's very likely he developed fungus. First time I've actually hoped a fish would get sick and die that I planted!

All the eggs I have collected so far don't seem to have been fertilized. If I can remove all the eggs this spring as soon as they appear, I may be able to catch him next winter and early spring when I can easily sex him. Perch are thank goodness an easy fish to catch.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Don't assume that because you use well water that you won't have any problems with clarity.

Don't let the fish guy stock gallons of fatheads without making sure there aren't unwanted hitchhikers.

If you use a liner make sure it is the right size for the project without needing seams.

Don't skimp on your overflow tube.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Stake down your rootballs. Wood floats.

Decide the smallest number of CC you would be happy stocking, then stock half that many.

Plan ahead where to place dirt removed during excavation - move it once, not twice.

Bite the bullet and take absolutely as much time off from work as possible to be at your pondsite during construction.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Do not underestimate the ability for unwanted fish to swim upstream and over your spillway into your pond from a downstream source.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The list could be endless. Here are a couple:

When buiding a pond first stockpile all the topsoil. Use it when the pond is complete to respead over the perimeter area to grow soil holding cover vegetation.

Don't use copper sulfate to kill any plants with roots.

Use plenty of stakes to hold down not only root balls but also logs and coarse brush. As the basin soaks & softens buoyant wood has lots of lifting power.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/28/08 08:57 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Dave you know that's not as uncommon as you think. I assume you are referring to the folks that don't have the watershed to fill their pond and expect it to magically fill without one?

actually i am only referring to myself cecil. my pond keeps water all summer, but it gets pretty ugly by september. i really believe i will have to move thousands of fish this summer or risk a large kill. i'm blessed to have a friend like JHAP...who'll not only take them, but help me do it....right jeff?

i can pick on him because he's not home yet \:\)

GSF are people too!

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
concrete blocks are not good anchors for large christmas trees. Ocassionally I still think they will sink the tree, but they never do!@#$%

everybody around here wants to feed their fish fathead minnows! I try to explain - 10 lbs of fatheads equals 1 lb of growth and costs $60. 3 lbs of fish food equals 1 lb of growth and costs $1.65. That means it costs 36 times more to feed fish fathead minnows!

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Blaine
Be absolutely certain of the full pool water line before fixing the deck height for your dock.

HeHe.....That is a good one!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
If your pond gets heavy ice and snow cover, aerate or provide running water, my trout's first winter was their last. Also keep a sharp eye out for otters.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Blaine

It must be 1000X easier to place rock piles for structure BEFORE the pond fills w/ water.

Double check to be sure that the Kubota really is in reverse when backing away from the water line (especially when you are on the dam).

Are you sure you're not my dad? He's done ALL THREE OF THESE!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
i really believe i will have to move thousands of fish this summer or risk a large kill. i'm blessed to have a friend like JHAP...who'll not only take them, but help me do it....right jeff?

There is a very fine line between blessed and cursed when I am in the immediate vicinity. That being said, yep I'm eager to net and move some fish. Beats hunting Snipe anyway.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Always check that your fancy timer on your aeration really DOES turn the thing on at night... During the hot dog days of august.

Plan your overflow/spillway system for about five times the worst flood.

Don't try to seine a pond that hasn't been designed for seining. Unless it's just for fun...(Pics on separate thread in Sampling forum.)

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Put your plug in your boat before launching into the water.

If lots of people are around, put a padlock on your feeders.

Dont rinse off a nice fish in your pond before you take the picture.

Dont try to add water to a 5 gallon bucket with the fish still in the bucket.

When cleaning a 5 gallon bucket full of Smallmouth Bass for a big fish fry, make sure you put their eggs back on their spawning beds were you caught them off of so they can be fertilized..........just kidding, gotcha Sunil.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM