Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,010
Posts558,490
Members18,529
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, FishinRod, canyoncreek), 1,183 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115972 04/19/08 04:23 PM
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I want to start collecting RW data and need an easy to use portable scale for pondside weighing. Hopefully something I can carry in my pocket and has a readout to the tenth of an ounce. I suppose that means an electronic scale. Most of the handheld scales I see are for whoppers, not for my 10 inch bass!

Any ideas or product recommendations are most welcome. Thanks, guys!

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
I just use a digital scale from Wally World. It only cost about 12 bucks and reads to 1/4 ounce. It is not small enough to carry in a pocket but I don't know of one that is pocket sized that you can lay a fish on versus hook em and hang em.

Gotta get back to fishin!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: bz
I just use a digital scale from Wally World. It only cost about 12 bucks and reads to 1/4 ounce. It is not small enough to carry in a pocket but I don't know of one that is pocket sized that you can lay a fish on versus hook em and hang em.

That's what I was afraid of: nothing pocket-sized. Guess I will have to invent my own! \:\)

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Things a scale needs :
1) A weight that easily plugs into an Excel spreadsheet. If your Relative Weight spreadsheet measures in LBS. and OZ., the scales that weigh fish as 1.89 lbs are useless without calculating the conversion.
2) The scale needs to be handy as you walk the shoreline, if you catch a fish, it should be right there.
3) Easy on/off function
4) A large display that performs well in direct sunlight
5) Digital for accuracy reasons.

The Berkley 50 lb. Digital Fish Scale (about 20 bucks) meets the top 5 requirements for me. I weigh and measure each fish most of the time.

6) A roll out tape measure that functions in the "fish hanging" position. I haven't found a quality scale that has this, but I will buy one if someone can recommend a scale that meets all 6 functions I like \:\)

I carry the Berkley with me by looping the dull hook thru a beltloop. When I catch a fish, I lip the fish with my left hand and remove the hook, slide the scale off and hit the ON button, hold it up, slide the hook gently up under the gill and let go. the weight is instant, as I remove the fish from the scale, I have it lipped again with my left hand, place the scale back on the belt loop and remove clamped tape measure off by belt and get the length.

4 seconds...the hard part is remembering it \:\) I can usually remember 4 or 5 fish, but like to carry a pen in my pocket to even up the odds when there is a lull. You will be surprised at what a 9oz. fish can tell you. I run RW's for both BG & LMB

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
eastland, how accurate is it at weights below a pound? (i.e. do you really trust it for smaller BG say 0.2 to 0.7 lbs?).

i would definietely consider getting one if it measures that low range w/ good precision.

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dang DIED, didn't you read my post...weights measured as .2 and .7 don't fit my RW chart ! \:\) Just messing with you, my RW chart shows both ounces and a % of a pound. Looking at the small end of the RW chart, I have fish ranging from 4 oz. (i.e. .25lb) to 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) My BG population ranged from .80% to .94% of what they should weigh as "superforage". I believe that to be true as I try to overpopulate them for the LMB buffet. The trick in your calculation would be formula needed to derive the correct RW of a GSF, since they differ from a BG to LMB, I'm sure they fall somewhere between the two.

Berkley claims their scales measure within 1/10th of a percent, but I'm happy if they round to the ounce. The big fish fluctuate a little as you fight to hold them upright \:\)

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
\:D
well i'm picky and cheap. i guess i'm lookin for a cost effective scale with great accuracy from 0 to 1 pounds...that range is my greatest need as there are few fish in the pond currently over a pound. i could probably derive my own GSF table based on alot of measurements and making subjective calls on body condition, derive some kind of average and call it DIED's GSF Standards \:\)

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
DIED, aside from laughing, there is one thing you stated that is so true, "making subjective calls", that is really a player here. I do not weigh the instant culls, they go over the shoulder to fertilize the soil, or feed a critter. (that "critter" is Beverly Hills talk, I'm trying to relate to you tycoons in CA...your land alone must be worth a zillion dollars) p.s. loved the spitter thread! Be thankful you can experience even the worst in life and fight your way thru...just imagine how others would love to feel the pain we deal with.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you are so far off base eastland. my land is definitely worth about 2/3's a Gazillion dollars. JHAP's land is worth at least 3/4's of a Gazillion dollars....

they had to make them standard weight tables somehow, some nerdy fish guy in a white lab coat with the nerve to judge whether the poor little fish was skinny or fat for how tall he was...and then not to include GSF in his work...its terrible, they just dont get any respect.

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Lunker
IF one does not require pocket portability, the digital kitchen scales from Walmart (or elsewhere, I suppose) are pretty good. Readout in lbs/oz/oz fractions OR grams, cost about $25-$30. We have two (strangely enough, one of them for the kitchen) and the newer one came with a fitted, removable tray that is GREAT for holding BG while weighing them.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
portability, w/ lip hooker, +/- 0.5 oz accuracy from 0 to 2 lbs would be sweet....thats not being too picky is it? my pond sides are so steep i cant see an easy way to use a flat scale w/ tray.

mr. commissioner, please let me know when you have a prototype \:\)

maybe somebody who works at a police station could smuggle out some drug dealer scales....they'd probably work good!

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Stick with me here Theo, it's on my beltloop, not in my pocket \:D

Lunker
Lunker
Sorry. Nerd mistake.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dang, here's the true definition of a nerd. I actually want something like that to keep a pen and paper in while I'm catching RW prospects...can you find one in leather that fits a belt so I can look like a Texas Bubba too? I swear, my Pop calls me Bubba, lol, sometimes I look like I'm wearing a Batman belt. Knife, flashlight, digital camera, now a pocket protector ! \:\) Life is Good !

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
glfranks
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Fishingadventure - 05/14/24 06:34 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by FishinRod - 05/14/24 05:56 PM
Nested Mallards
by FishinRod - 05/14/24 02:48 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Augie - 05/14/24 02:40 PM