Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 1,151 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112945 03/26/08 06:36 AM
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
About 6 weeks ago, I went for my "routine" annual physical. The grey hairs on this site will understand just how much fun it isn't. I'm in great shape.

However, it didn't appear that I was and I've just been through the longest month of my life.

Although I've always had the blood pressure and heart health of a 16 year old, my EKG was pretty sick looking. Made an appointment with a cardiologist and went for a stress test. I aced it and he told me that my Doctor must have a problem with a lead on his machine. He tod me to come back in a couple of years or so.

Also, my PSA had jumped from 3.0 to 5.6. I know guys with lower readings than that who have had some pretty serious cases of prostate cancer. I went to a Urologist and had a needle biopsy. This involves sticking a tiny needle into the prostate gland and taking 12 tissue samples and sending the whole works to a Pathologist. Yep, I didn't particularly enjoy the "procedure". They found no cancer and I go back every 6 months for a PSA test and finger wave(always a character builder).

I talked to George about it and he told me that the PSA was a pretty unreliable indicator of the BIG C. Yep, I agree but it is currently the best test available. Suffice it to say that I did a lot of research. Prostate is the most common cancer found these days. It is 31% of all new cancers found but, if caught early, is very treatable. Interesting to note that nobody "runs for the cure" for this stuff.

For those of you/us who are over 50, do the annual physical. Most men who get into real trouble wait until it is too late for a fix.

OK, you guys gotta keep putting up with me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Great report Dave!
"The grey hairs on this site "...
How about the no hairs?

Last edited by ahvatsa; 03/26/08 06:47 AM.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Thanks for the post Dave and congrats on a good report. Ahvatsa, I'm both, what hair I have is grey.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Thanks for the post Dave and congrats on a good report. Ahvatsa, I'm both, what hair I have is grey. I filed for my Social Security yesterday, so you young guys keep working your butts off so I can continue to get mine.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Dave, while on the subject of health, is that B-Q joint you took us to still open? You should reserve us a couple hundred seats for one evening...I'll bring extra crestor.
heybud...LOL...

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Yep, they are still open. Main Street BBQ in Euless. $12 per pop for all you can eat. I can generally get my moneys worth. I expect that we will wind up there in July.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I'm glad you'll be sticking with us, DD. Generations of Meadow Muffins, as-yet unborn, await you.

Y'all down in Texas may not believe me, but I have found a guy in my home town of Nerk, Ahia ("Newark, Ohio" to the conventional spelling crowd) who has the best brisket I've ever eaten. Beef cattle line up to plead to be butchered and have this fellow BBQ them. The only trouble is, you have to catch him fairly early in the eating day, before he runs out, 'cause his ribs and pulled-pork are IMO just a little above average.

For your full BBQ, multiple meat choice, all-you-can-eat dining for $12 experience, Main Street BBQ in Euless is the top of the list. Count me in for July, even if Sunil's friend Howard is driving again this year.

Al, I have my own Crestor.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think Fatty and I can put them out of business...or at least hurt 'em for a night.

P.S.- Glad to hear of the good report, Dave!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Any encounter with Dr. Jellyfinger is anticipated with woe and sorrow.

Glad your visit turned out good, Guv.

Now sing along....."Moon Riiivvveeer....." (taken from the movie, Fletch)

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Any encounter with Dr. Jellyfinger is anticipated with woe and sorrow.

Dang it Sunil, ya made me spew my coffee all over my desk.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Glad to hear all is well Dave.

I do find it highly disturbing though that you all are discussing BBQ in Dave's hiney exam thread.

Still I'm in for BBQ in July though as long as we agree in advance not to discuss Dave's hiney during the BBQ dinner.

Jeez, now I'm discussing BBQ in Dave's hiney thread.

You know this is one strange forum.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
My wife(sometimes referred to as my child bride and other times as my old squaw, not in her presence) got mad at me about my attitude. Heck, I figured I had it and had something to deal with. No problem. She got upset because I wasn't thinking positively. I explained to her that, to me, having a positive mental attitude was different than hers. I figure it is planting my feet, digging my toes into the turf, and saying "Come on. Do your damndest. You've got a fight on your hands if you think you can whip me." She told her sister that she would never understand me. I gotta agree with that.

Sunil, still laughing about that one.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/26/08 08:13 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
No surprise there...we don't understand you either.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good news Dave1 . Count me in for B'BQ in July but don't invite the Urologist . While I can read about the 2 at the same time , I don't want to think about them while I eat B'BQ .

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There used to be a liquor store in the Chicago 'burbs called the Hiney Winery, owned and operated by Big Red and Thor Hiney.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ahvatsa
Great report Dave!
"The grey hairs on this site "...
How about the no hairs?

Ahvasta, that's a great place for me to start too.

Dave, it sure is good to hear that your scares turned out to be just that.

I turned six-oh last October, and started my annual physical in November. I'm still not done! I think they have finally run out of tests they can perform. The good news is that they couldn't find anything wrong (at least physically) -- but they sure tried.

The questions they ask, the probing, the piercing, the blood letting, the internal photos, and the other unmentionables sure make the AARP years interesting.

Heck, I felt sorry for the poor little fish in the most recent PB issue that was getting its stomach pumped.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
good news DD1, and thanks for the advice....i think...

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Dr. Jellyfinger

- least savory of the James Bond movie supervillains.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave,
This wouldn't happen to be one of the doctors that always corrals you with pond questions...you know, stuff like compacting clay with a sheepsfoot, how to plug up a leaky dam and the like.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Glad to hear it Dave.

Although I have not had anything to really worry about (just turned 50) my mother nagged me to get a colonoscopy as colon cancer ran in the family and I was of the age where they should start checking. The procedure was fine but the preperation was no fun! I still hope I didn't give out any secrets or talk naughty to the nurses when I was partially knocked out. \:D

Oh the nurse took my pulse at only 50 some beats per minute before the procedure and said that was good. Maybe all those years of distance running in highschool and after paid off.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Dave, Good reports get better the older you are! \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I learned a few things about prostate helth. Lycopene lowers PSA for some reason. It's a pill you can buy. The other thing is that a heart healthy diet seems to be a prostate healthy diet. In other words, he told me to back off the red meat, cheese and other good stuff.

Now that's tough. I consider BBQ and enchiladas a couple of the major food groups. I'll probably just double up on the lycopene pills.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Great news Dave, I went Monday for a PSA and schedule a scope. My regular Doc didn’t come in the exam room but the PA had fat stubby fingers and I was relieved when we skipped the WAVE!

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
I think Fatty and I can put them out of business...or at least hurt 'em for a night.

P.S.- Glad to hear of the good report, Dave!

Why do I always get the fat jokes? OHwait my name is Fatty McButterpants...as you were.

DD glad to hear you are all good. I am not too far away from the Grayhair club (rather be gray than gone away)

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Dave is right about getting a prostate exam you guys. I would also encourage all you guys over 50 to sign up for that colonoscopy. I have had a couple of friends die over the last few years with colon cancer. Catch it early and it' very treatable. JUST DO IT!.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity