Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112501 03/22/08 10:00 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We spent the day at the project, working on the shed. At the end of the day, I made a pot of coffee and D'ski and I took a pond walk. Guess what we found cruising the pond.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
Yep, Hooded Mergansers. Oh yeah, and we're talking 4 males + 4 females. Of course, the birding side of us was excited. Quite frankly, neither of us had ever seen one, so 8 of them was really cool. Or was it? These big-headed show-offs are fish-eating machines....right?
We have 4 Wood Duck boxes open and ready for business. Hmmmm....4 HM couples. Do I sense a plan? From what I have read, these cute little buggers love WD boxes, particularly when they are on poles over the water...in a pond surrounded by deciduous woods. Bingo; LNP.
Here's the fish story. Spring 2007, we stocked 1300 RES fingerlings, 800 YP 4" - 6", and 60# of FH. We also added 250 papershell crayfish. We have a natural abundance of Bullfrogs, also. I saw the bigaz tadpoles cruising the shore last weekend.
-
One part of me wants to go and cut down the nesting boxes...then...the other part of me reminds me that I was the one that brought the knife to a gun fight. Unless you guys tell me that I am heading for certain disaster, I'm gonna let it play out.
-
edit; I just read the Audobon website. They say:
 Quote:
Estimates vary, but the current population of about 350,000 individuals makes the Hooded Merganser one of North America’s least numerous ducks.

I guess we should feel honored.

Last edited by Brettski; 03/23/08 04:51 AM. Reason: feeling guilty
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'd be inclined to let it play out, even though mergansers eat fish. Then again, I'm not sure how many/what sizes of fish HMs can eat in a given amount of time.

I did find he following:
"The Hooded Merganser finds its prey underwater by sight. The merganser can actually change the refractive properties of its eyes to enhance its underwater vision. In addition, the nictating membrane (third eyelid) is very transparent and probably acts to protect the eye during swimming, just like a pair of goggles."

How clear is the pond? If visibility is very high, then the HMs could be efficient fish-hunting machines. I'll be interested to hear what you end up doing.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Lunker
Lunker
OTOH, Brettski, you could open up a whole new audience for Pond Boss - Birders who build ponds to attract Hooded Mergansers.

You ever get any Buffleheads there? We've had them here twice in 6 years.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow they are gorgeous birds though!

What about blocking the houses until they move on if you're concerned about them.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Theo asks
 Quote:
You ever get any Buffleheads there? We've had them here twice in 6 years.

Not that we have witnessed...yet. We didn't have the bird-book with us during our visit, so I thought that these guys were Buffleheads...until we got home and studied up.
-
Cecil notes
 Quote:
Wow they are gorgeous birds though!

Yeah, they really are. They are going through the courtship rituals, so we observed
 Quote:
Males perform courtship rituals and displays, including crest-raising, head-shaking, head-throws, and head-pumping.

-
Here's another pic of a female and male.

Lunker
Lunker
Another good pic, and a good idea from Cecil. If I were a birder, I'd be inclined to grant them some fish in exchange for an appearance. Since I'm not a birder, I wouldn't know they were eating fish. No problem either way.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Lunker
We had several Ringnecks and one Redhead yesterday.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Brettski, I would feel honored if we had hooded mergansers nest at our place! Wood ducks are easy to get. Yes, they will eat a few little fish but not enough to make a difference.

For about 3-4 days, we had more snow geese around here than I've ever seen in my life. Northern SD and ND got a heavy snow which drove them back south to our area. Literally tens of thousands of them everywhere you looked. There would be a flock of 5-10,000 in a field and a couple of miles down the road, another flock of the same size and on and on. A few were shot but not many. It's warm today and they're gone!

Norm Kopecky
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I've had a couple dozen bluebills, about 4-6 buffleheads and lost of malards hanging around for a week or so. I don't hunt ducks, just never got into it, I guess, so this really my first opportunity to see the things up close.

WOW...beautiful birds. Can't believe any of 'em can eat THAT many fish, regardless. I'd just let 'em be, but that's me. Love to see 'em nest around here...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
nice shots b'ski.

i'll attempt some pics to compliment yers when i get time, but for the first year (because of the healthy fish population....duh....) we have two pair of bufflehead and two to three pair of common merganser which switch time between our pond and the ranch pond. i thought the bufflehead were hooded merganser at first, but quickly realized they were too small.

norm, i guess its where you live.....i have seen a wood duck on our pond briefly, two times in 12 years... \:\(

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I would suggest to just let them be and if you think they are taking too many fish out of the pond, restrict the boxes or other habitat to make them move on. I don't see 8 ducks making too much of a dent in the population of a 5 acre pond.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
They are beautiful birds! I would let them stay too. What's a few fish gone when you have ducks like that making your pond their home for a while? Hope you have a few lawn chairs by the pond for bird watching. I wonder how many babies they will have?

Go for it!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
A few are ok but several generations times 8 well -- what's a few FH and YP they are cheap to replace. Heck I let some kingfishers and a GBH stick around all year. If you can keep RES do so as they will reduce the parasite problem.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just made a visit to the project yesterday. It's been 2 weeks since the last visit; the Hooded Merganser encounter. There was one male and one female paddling about all day. I could hear the somewhat unique frog-like croaking sound used during the mating rituals (it was probably a bullfrog with a HM call, pulling a slow one on me )
-
bz mentioned that he gets them; no biggie. I'm gonna let it play out.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We don't get a whole lot of international visitors like B'ski and D'ski. However, this afternoon we were visited by this Canadian couple:

Mostly our feathered friends just stop by for a drink, a rest, a snack, and a short break. They are always welcome. These two stayed for a couple of hours. As I fed the fish this evening, they just stood on shore and watched. Then they flew off into the sunset.

I'd love to have some more exotic types like the Mergansers and Wood Ducks. Although, last summer we were graced with a pair of alternate life-styler Mallard drakes from about June until September.

Last edited by catmandoo; 04/06/08 08:36 PM. Reason: re-arrangement of photos

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
We don't get a whole lot of international visitors like B'ski and D'ski.

When I read that the first time, I was all excited that you were getting visitors from the foreign country of Chicago.
How exotic!

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
remove "x"
replace with "r"

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
It beats seining and trapping to reduce the sick and undersized. Cant imagine the birds with those small bills could no any harm on your size pond. Now if their offspring look like this, its time to go to battle. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=na...r+turkey+photos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails