Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,908
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 536 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bruce - I was always suspect of "that operation" and your experiences reinforce those doubts. It is sad that they were in very poor behaviour for replacing obviously miserable fish that were originally delivered to you. Think of how good the business could be if they treated people fairly. It appears they will treat you fairly only if you don't have a problem with them. It is a very convenient way to do business for them but not the customer.

ewest, Your odd looking fish appears to be a genetically deformed HBG or GSF. It looks like the door was slammed in its face as a youngster. It also appears to be too narrow bodied for some sort of sunfish but the gill flap is a dead giveaway for sunfish genetics. Genetics could have also affected body form.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/19/08 08:37 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest

Anyone want to guess what this is ?

Based on appearances, it's Mother was a Goby, and it's Father ... smelled of elderberries.

Footnote - Cody - And those elderberries were probably fermented.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/19/08 08:40 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: NE Chad
Sorry to read this Bruce.
If I owned the business, I would personally deliver Dr. Condello as many fish as he wanted within reason. When I pulled up to his pond, I'd get out with a big smile and hardy handshake, ready to get to work with him. I would document the whole thing with pictures, video and testimonials from Bruce. I would tell my staff that if Bruce calls, he should be treated like a rock star, and I would do everything in my power to see those fish reach their full potential. When they did reach that full potential, I would know that thousands of Pond Boss guys across the country would hear about it and be clamoring to get their fish.

It's really not complicated.

Then again, I would only do all that if I truly had confidence in my product.

Last edited by Nebraska Chad; 03/19/08 08:37 PM.

The Lab
A 5-acre Stunted BG Project
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I was curious about Ken's operation. Glad my pond is full of healthy "Quitman Giant's (ok not really giants but, good healthy bluegills). Boy did they put on a show at feeding time today. Some of the males' colors right now are absolutely beautiful. Deep red oranges and stuff. Plan to catch some this weekend.

Bruce sorry to hear about that....hate to hear about bad customer service from any company. I'll definitely remember this and warn anybody I hear talking about maybe getting fish from Ken's.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a pic of what the pond owner said was an F1 GG (2nd generation GG). It was born about 10 mths after the first fish (GG) went in to a new pond. There were also some normal looking GG and a few more like the one above.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I hope Bruce does not take on that appearence after getting the door slammed in his face by THAT hatchery.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My face felt like that fish's face looked, after I got scolded by Ken's secretary. \:\(

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
ya know, secretary's shouldn't have to deal with all the crap they do because their boss sells a bad product. I'm sure she gets tired of all the unsatisfied customers. Probably doesn't like her job. No excuse for treating sweet Condello like that though.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
She definitely didn't sound like she's enjoys her job.

Sincerely,

Sweet Condello

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Bruce, I have kept quiet long enough. I too was SCAMMED by them! I ordered fish and upon delievery water samples were taken from three ponds. I received a call from Ken himself and was told there would be no guarantee on fish due to water problems...mainly ammonia. He did talk me into $600.00 worth the chemicals. (Nothing like the warm fuzzys when stocking first ponds...) less than a month later Todd Overton was on site and did water test and showed me I had NO problems. The crap delievered was still at my office. Not a drop had been used. I called him, left several messages and finally spoke with a complete moron and was told Georgia law would not allow chemical returns. Funny thing is, when I hung up from Ken my gut told me this man is close to a carnival barker! I new it was a BS sale! Hell, I have been a USED CAR DEALER for 30 years...I can spot BS 6-7 miles on a cloudy day. There needs to be a place for this type info and the Moderators may have to step in. I have PMed a few about this but I am also happy to make it public. FWIW I also was billed $35.00 a bag for salt that was put in with the HSB...2 bags...
ps ewest are you licensed in Texas?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill notes
 Quote:
It looks like the door was slammed in its face

Welcome to the world of sales.
Probably a sale fish.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Looks like an MM (Mississippi Midget)...can I say that?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Looks like an MM (Mississippi Midget)...can I say that?

You need to be more politically correct. Try "Mississippi length challenged". \:\)

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ewest, I've got 3 or 4 fish exactly like that in my pond full of HBG. My largest ones are close to a pound now but look just like that except more hybrid in color. I always release them because I'd like to see how big the freaks get. I've heard that nutrition problems when young can do that to fish. Anyone know about that?

Gotta get back to fishin!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That fish may be a freak because of interbreeding too. I can't imagine a swindler who doesn't care about customer satisfaction caring much about his breeding program.

Being a little more involved in the industry than a regular pond owner, I heard the low down on Holyoke's so called Georgia Giants a long time ago. One supplier told me they were nothing more than green sunfish X bluegill hybrids and when he ran low they came to him for his hybrids even though Holyoke says they are something special. Everyone told me he could sell ice to eskimos and to stay the hell away.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks bruce (and al), great posts, great thread.

GSF are people too!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
My heart goes out to Deb – she is quiet a lady.

I have wished her well privately in her new endeavor, and now that this scam has seen the light of day, I want to thank her publicly for her kindness and support in my time of need, and wish her the very best.
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
As far as I can tell, before Al's confession, there were only three Pond Bossers who dealt with Holyoke. Two of them liked what they got, and the third had no choice but to buy from them and no choice but to be completely satisfied (you know, ulterior motives).

edit (not including Bruce)

Last edited by Sunil; 03/20/08 06:55 AM.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have no doubt, that IF you wanted hybrid sunfish, and IF the fish happened to be delivered in good shape, and IF you followed good practices of fish density and feeding, and IF you maintained good water quality, that you could end up being very satisfied with these fish.

I just feel bad for you if you have to deal with the current regime in a post-sale customer service matter. That's my main point. I wanted to find out some things about the fish themselves, but their poor customer service didn't allow me to.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/archive/index.php/t-16921.html

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Guys I feel for Deb having had to work for them. I am so glad she achieved a safe extraction from that situation. When all this started I did some calling and checking and emailing non-PB sources. There are others here who have encountered Ken's but like Al keep quiet. Thankfully others who came here first avoided the mess. Most have a horrible experience if they follow his purchasing recommendations. Sometimes the fish are ok sometimes not. I don't want sometimes fish in my pond. Plus I don't want a repeat of what Bruce and Al encountered. Greg also noted that he had to go behind them on a # of occasions and fix the problems. I trust Greg from personal experience and his work on PB. It sure sounds like a pattern of problems to me. Most importantly it is critical that the science make sense - to much of theirs doesn't. Al not in Texas or Georgia as 3 states are enough.

Last edited by ewest; 03/20/08 08:25 AM.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Guys I think you know the back ground on how all this started with trying GG. Basically I was talking bad about them and I try to not do that. Some did not believe me and ordered them and posted here. I was not aware of Deb and she really tried and convinced me they might have changed. I think she was naïve actually as to what was going on.

I ordered some even for a handful of clients. I got a credit for orders I placed. I never got to use it b/c after a few stockings it caught up to me. The clients received a free water test. These were my clients that trusted me and questioned my intelligence. Ken said the water was poor that adding ag lime was a waste and they needed to order his water products asap. It caused me to have to give a pond mgmt 101 class to clients. They realized the scam but they had already wasted money. So here we are again this topic gets many hits just like it did back in 2006. I do with Larry would report some current results.

I wish Deb the best and think she meant well. Bruce sorry you had to go through this, but hope by posting others will not do the same.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks for the information, Greg.

I think your last sentence really hits the nail on the head. What's done is done, and the point of this thread is not to bash Ken and his operation just for the sake of bashing him. The point is for those who have dealt with Ken to let others know the truth. Hopefully, then, no one else who reads or posts here will have to go through similar circumstances. It's all about not repeating your mistakes. That's one thing I love about this forum--No matter the topic, we're always sharing and learning from the experiences of others.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You don't need to explain anything to us, Brother.

When something smells, there is always a big steaming pile somewhere close by.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Thanks for the information, Greg.

I think your last sentence really hits the nail on the head. What's done is done, and the point of this thread is not to bash Ken and his operation just for the sake of bashing him. The point is for those who have dealt with Ken to let others know the truth. Hopefully, then, no one else who reads or posts here will have to go through similar circumstances. It's all about not repeating your mistakes. That's one thing I love about this forum--No matter the topic, we're always sharing and learning from the experiences of others.

Extremely accurate assessment.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
davatsa is a bright young man! Well done.

That ranks on my "I'm buying you three rounds when I see you in July" scale.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem