Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 803 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108055 02/15/08 10:01 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
How many PB’ers are interested in some fly fishin’ stuff at the upcoming PondBoss Conference?

At the last conference there was considerable interest shown in tying flies, and I’m planning a demo again this year if enough interest is shown.

It is my mission to encourage pond owners that have not tried fly-fishing in their ponds, to take the next step in their pond fishing experience.
IMO fly fishing is not in place of conventional gear – but in addition to…..

I can try to arrange for a major fly rod manufacturer representative to be in attendance to give fly-casting instruction, and maybe discussion on tackle and technique, but don’t want to go the trouble unless enough interest is shown….

This is just an idea subject to Mr. Lusk’s approval, but if enough interest shown may be a possibility.

Of course we could always “borrow” Sunil and Clint’s private hotel pond – they should have an earlier stocking schedule this year...

Yes or no answers will suffice but comments appreciated.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

I don't even fly fish YET, and I really enjoyed the demo. Just remember to take it easy, George. I know you could tie flies all day otherwise. \:\)

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't think I will be able to make the conference but I do think you have a good idea.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes and throw in some basics of pond fly fishing both from shore and boat. Also typical flies for BG and LMB and selection of when to use what (cold water vs. warm , clear vs. muddy , top water vs. sinking). This is in addition to any tying you want to do. We will have some "Flies by George" for the auction - right?

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ewest
We will have some "Flies by George" for the auction - right?

Eric, that's the MAIN reason for the early survey question -
I'm trying to come up with a little diffent pattern this year - gotta get busy... \:\)

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
yes \:\)

The Lab
A 5-acre Stunted BG Project
Lunker
Lunker
Very definitely YES, george.

Are there any particular fly-fishing friendly species that Sunil should smuggle in - er - stock this year? ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes, that would be great

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
BarO #108091 02/15/08 01:48 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As long as you schedule some time for something other than tying flies?? I think this group would again keep you busy the entire time, George! \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Yes and throw in some basics of pond fly fishing both from shore and boat. Also typical flies for BG and LMB and selection of when to use what (cold water vs. warm , clear vs. muddy , top water vs. sinking). This is in addition to any tying you want to do. We will have some "Flies by George" for the auction - right?

Good idea Eric, to broaden the subject to include all aspects of pond fly fishing – not just flies.

Fly-fishing is just another form of presenting a jig/lure/fly representation to a fish – nothing complicated about that.
I believe that the movie “A River Runs Through It”, by concentrating on fishing for “itsy bitsy fish”, on “itsy bitsy fly rods” with “itsy bitsy flies”, set the sport of fly fishing back several light years,,,

Nothing can be further from the truth.
You can tie on a big black rabbit strip fly that looks like a worm, or tie on some spinner bait skirt material on it to look like a jig, tie on a big hook - leave in the “strike zone” longer, and haul a big bucket mouth out of heavy cover quicker that with a pitching rod.
Just have to know how to select fly tackle – that’s all...

Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
As long as you schedule some time for something other than tying flies?? I think this group would again keep you busy the entire time, George! \:\)

Dr. Dave, being a teacher you will understand more than most, that when someone REALLY wants to know something that you know – it’s the greatest compliment there is...

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I think it's a great idea!

I just wish I could get to the conference this summer. Alas, a scheduling conflict will prevent that -- have to go to a wedding and family get-together. But at least it's in Colorado -- so I'll get some fly fishing in!

George, I also think it would be really neat for you to do some articles for the magazine from time to time on easy-to-tie fly patterns for pond fly-fishers.

-- Mike in Lexington, VA

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes. Very interested.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Definitely. I need lessons

Mike
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
George,
Yes, I think that is a great idea. I also like Eric's ideas. I have fished all my life but knew nothing about fly fishing and still don't know much about it, however, at the last conference you taught James and I how to make and tie a pellet fly. I had more fun with that one fly, learning how to cast and catching BG and Bass out of my pond. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I was standing right by that table when you and James were tying those pellet fly imitations with a fury. There was so much to see at the show, and I remember thinking "these dudes are crazy, theyre just standing there tying flies while all this other stuff is going on."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
George,

If you need any extra fly tying equipment for the conference let me know.

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
George,

If you need any extra fly tying equipment for the conference let me know.

Thanks Chris, but I have enough stuff to start a fly shop, but your welcome to bring yur own stuff - the more the merrier... \:\)
We don't want to make Sunil miss any of the dog and pony shows .....

Lunker
Lunker
yes

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

Last call for FF survey?

Who is interested in pond fly fishing, whether attending the PB conference or not?

If so, what do you want to know?
Eric has suggested more discussion of “some basics of pond fly fishing both from shore and boat. Also typical flies for BG and LMB and selection of when to use what (cold water vs. warm , clear vs. muddy , top water vs. sinking).”

Good idea, but time for that discussion will be subject to the approval by Mr. Lusk.
Too much fly tying will conflict with tech sessions.

Eric wants another PB presentation fly for the auction, as $Gill and Aunt Lydia Minnow 2007 conference fly in the past.
I’m thinkin’ a JigHook Minnow fly pattern - maybe FH Minnow or Gambusia style?

Your thoughts – I’m setting myself up for a lot of work for nothing if limited or no interest.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm definitely interested.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
If so, what do you want to know?
Eric has suggested more discussion of “some basics of pond fly fishing both from shore and boat. Also typical flies for BG and LMB and selection of when to use what (cold water vs. warm , clear vs. muddy , top water vs. sinking).”

Good stuff.

I don't know how practical it would be for the convention center, george, but IMHO a major part of beginning fly fishing is learning how to work that line back and forth and cast it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

That's more along the line that I need. Some fly fishing basics.

I’m thinkin’ a JigHook Minnow fly pattern - maybe FH Minnow or Gambusia style?

Given that I belive most of us have a minnow or Gams I'd like to see this style.

George, I would also really like to see a great caster such as yourself give a casting demonstration. I'm watching an instructional DVD and practicing when I can but I think being able to watch a skilled fly fisherman cast would be helpful.

That's just my two cents.

I'll be there and be interested and will try to keep my short attention span in check. \:\)

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
George:

I won't be able to attend the conference; but I am interested in fly fishing. I have fly fished for a few years now; but am still a relative novice and have never tied a fly.

Jeff

P.S. If you're ever interested in selling some bluegill flies you've tied, please let me know. They are nice looking flies! \:\)

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Jeff, sorry you wont be able to make it to the conference - I'm really looking forward to meeting new friends and renewing acquaintances from last year.

My span of attention is too short to tie flies to sell - anyway could make more monety being a greeter at WallyWorld.
There is a lot of good fly tyin' insruction on the internet - I'm self VCR taught but no expert for sure.
Thanks for your interest.
george

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
George:

Thanks for replying. I've looked at some fly fishing sites. One of these days, I just need to order some equipment, sit down and try it out. I think it could be pretty satisfying catching fish on something you created yourself.

I hope everyone has a great conference. One of these years, I'll have to attend one - maybe at Brettski's or Theo's. ;\)

Jeff

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM