Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, Augie, jmartin, Pat Williamson, catscratch), 1,190 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
A local breeder ( Freshwater farms - Urbana - Ohio) for these guys was selling 12" white sturgeons the last few years and said they were being used as a novelty bottom feeder/sportfish like a channel cat. I just contacted them to get more info and found out they will not have any this year but are planning on having more of them next year.
My questions are, does anyone have any information on these? They are slow growers but the ones they use for brood stock are about 15-20 lbs and I think they said were like 10 years old so I am not worried about them being too big for the pond ( 3/4 acre) I was wondering if anyone knew the stocking rate per acre? and they would be stocked in conjuction with CC. I guess anything of interests would be great to know so dont be shy, lets hear about it. If I remember right, they were pricey, like 25 bucks each and I was thinking of maybe 4 of em. But looks like I ll have to wait for this year

Thanks,
Salmonid (Mark)

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think I would have to shell out a few bucks for a few sturgeon.

Don't ask me why 'cause I don't know.

I had the chance for a few paddlefish and I declined, so again, I have no clue why I would take a few sturgeon.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don't let James Holt know about it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok Ill bite, the White is supposed to be liek a CC with its feeding habits and can over time, grow to a worthy size. A paddlefish would do nothing but swim around and filter feed so that is no good to a fisherman like me. 8^)
Heck, Im sure in time my pond will have afew LN gar swimming around as well as a few other exotics ha ha. ( personal fascination with LN Gar and Sturgeon good thing Alligator gar dont live this far north.....)

Someone will need to fill me in on the James Holt crack, ???

Just wondered what others thought about it. I just thought they would be cool since I have fished several times for them across Norh America and still havent caught one to add to my life list. I figure the best way to figure out a species is to feed it daily and make it your friend, then proceed to catch it and then move on to another species ( just kidding folks)

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is the info from FishBase.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=2594

They can get way to big for a pond.

White Sturgeon can live to be over 100 years old. The rate of growth is dependent on water temperature. Typically, they reach six feet long around 25 years of age, showing that these fish do not grow as quickly as many other fish. White sturgeon are the largest freshwater fish in North America and can weigh over 1,500 pounds, be 20 feet in length, and live for over 100 years.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I just think I'd have a problem putting something in my pond that I know will outlive me.

Still a very neat fish, though. I hope I have the chance to see one up close and personal at some point in the future.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
It could be crazy to have something that big in your pond. I suppose over time, you might really bond with the fish; well either that or get eaten by it.

Mark B, james holt has a fish problem.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, James needs therapy. He is a stockaholic. He has never seen a fish that he didn't want to buy and stock.

Hi, my name is James. I have a weakness for fish farms.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Don't give James a hard time guys.....

My baby girl needs some new shoes......

It's ALL about the fish!
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
In Europe sterlet sturgeon are popular pond fish and sturgeon hybrids are stocked in some fishing dams or so I have read

Fish stores sell them in the US for the pond keeping hobby

Last edited by Gambusia; 02/15/08 11:54 AM.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
maybe you could sell the eggs for caviar and recoup some of your $25

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
We just had a combined North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa American Fisheries Society here in Sioux Falls. One talk was about bowfin and another about shovelnose sturgeon. Bowfin roe is bringing anywhere from $75 to almost $200 per pound. Shovelnose sturgeon and paddlefish roe is bring anywhere from $150-300 per pound. Lots of people will be raising anything that produces a black roe.

Norm Kopecky
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
If you ever get out west, stop in at the Bonneville trout hatchery in Oregon. They have white sturgeon the size of navel torpedos in show ponds.

They are the coolest looking fish when they are small, but they are going to churn the bottom of your pond pretty agressively. They are not what you would call a warm water fish either. If you don't have soft mud in your pond, it would be fun to try them. They also taste fantastic, especially when smoked.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mckenzie Fish Co in Stacy Minnesota is selling lake sturgeon fry this year. I am very tempted to try raising them. He claims that they will take to pellets and will keep your lake clean by eating algae from the bottom, lots of snails, and other small organisms.

Sounds pretty neat, especially if they would get BIG! What would be more impressive than feeding a 5' long fish at the end of your dock??? (especially when everyone else only has 12" fish!! Also I bet they grow alot faster on a pellet diet as opposed to algae?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Interesting topic. I just read some on caviar (I never had it) and aquaculturists raising sturgeon. For finished caviar from White Sturgeon they can get around $54/oz. That's crazy and cool at the same time. I wonder if you started stocking a few females each year and started harvesting them around 9 years when they are ready to spawn, that you could make some good money on the side to pay for the fish truck each year and the food.

From what I read the meat is supposed to be fairly valuable as well as tasty. I take it that you can't just squeeze the fish to harvest the eggs though and you have to kill it. That is too bad.

J
JHM Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
You can remove the eggs, and sew the female back up.
Their plumbing is,well, different, to say the least.
We used to make a small incision and take a peak/sample, but now it's high-tech! (laproscopy)
Of course, we have YET to successfully spawn one!

ceadmin,
Not an Arfcommer, by chance? (Molon Labe)

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'll have to look into how hard laproscopy is, as this topic has peaked my curiosity a little. Something else I can add to the pond to offset costs. And convince the wife that we actually use it to make money from it... \:\/

An Arfcommer, you say...I can't believe you would think that I would fit into that category of survivalists carrying EBR's all over the place. ;\)

Heheh...I got 2 (one for me and one is the wife's), haven't even been to the range yet this year...dang weather...

J
JHM Offline
Lunker
Lunker
J
And I'm not saying I've used the high $$$ laproscopy equipment to check rifle bores......

Of course, being as we are a childish and immature bunch, we usually use it as a "nose cam".

I once attended a sturgeon seminar where the speaker would cut,sex,and sew a sturgeon faster than I can type the words!
Literally well under one minute!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?