Pond Boss
Posted By: shooterlurespond Fertilize with algae - 05/15/23 12:24 AM
If it comes time to fertilize, and the clarity calls for it, but I have a decent amount of algae....should I? Wind will blow the algae to one side, or if it's calm it may be dispersed around the pond. Makes fishing more difficult in certain areas. Also, I don't want to clog up the pond and potentially hurt the fish. There was some earlier, and fertilizing didn't seem to worsen it much. I tried to attach a pic, didn't work.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fertilize with algae - 05/15/23 02:23 AM
If it bothers you, wait for a windy day. You’ll have it all in one area and can attack it.
Posted By: shooterlurespond Re: Fertilize with algae - 05/16/23 12:17 AM
Ok, after a quick search, I think my simple answer is that I should let the algae dwindle greatly before considering more fertilizer.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fertilize with algae - 05/16/23 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by shooterlurespond
Ok, after a quick search, I think my simple answer is that I should let the algae dwindle greatly before considering more fertilizer.

What is your water alkalinity?
Posted By: shooterlurespond Re: Fertilize with algae - 05/16/23 02:13 AM
Excellent question. Didn't check.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fertilize with algae - 05/16/23 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by shooterlurespond
Excellent question. Didn't check.

Without knowing the alkalinity, it might be pointless to add fertilizer because if the alkalinity isn't over 20 (bare minimum) then the phytoplankton can't utilize the fertilizer. I'd much rather see ponds with an alkalinity of 40 as a minimum, that way there is a bit of a leeway before they drop too low. Just the same as adding lime to the soil to allow the plants to utilize the fertilizer in the soil.

Liming Ponds for Aquaculture
Posted By: ewest Re: Fertilize with algae - 05/16/23 04:24 PM
See this thread from the archives. A water/soil test is highly suggested before anyone uses fertilizer. It may not be fertility that is the limiting factor.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96127#Post96127
Posted By: AlexWentworth Re: Fertilize with algae - 08/12/23 04:38 PM
Fertilizing your pond with existing algae can be a bit tricky. While fertilization can encourage plant growth, it might also boost algae growth, making fishing and overall pond clarity challenging. Consider the wind's effect on algae distribution and how it might impact different areas.
When it comes to your fish and pond health, it's wise to proceed cautiously. As for your pic, forum uploads can sometimes be finicky. Maybe give it another shot?
© Pond Boss Forum