Pond Boss
Posted By: GAR How much 0-40-0 fertilizer to apply - 03/13/23 08:52 PM
I have a 2 acre pond that is full, and a little murky due to pond edges being bare. The pond has been established for six months. I do see lots of tadpoles and other insects on the surface and in the water. The initial stocking of bluegill and minnows will be in two weeks. I’d like to fertilize with 0-40-0 soon to establish a good bloom prior to stocking. How much fertilizer should I apply in a two acre pond.
Posted By: esshup Re: How much 0-40-0 fertilizer to apply - 03/13/23 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by GAR
I have a 2 acre pond that is full, and a little murky due to pond edges being bare. The pond has been established for six months. I do see lots of tadpoles and other insects on the surface and in the water. The initial stocking of bluegill and minnows will be in two weeks. I’d like to fertilize with 0-40-0 soon to establish a good bloom prior to stocking. How much fertilizer should I apply in a two acre pond.

What is your alkalinity level in the pond?
Posted By: GAR Re: How much 0-40-0 fertilizer to apply - 03/13/23 10:52 PM
I originally applied 8 tons of AG lime before the pond filled. A sample taken about a month ago indicated an alkalinity of 38. Tried my best to get several samples from around the pond. Just not sure how well the lime mixed with the water.
Posted By: ewest Re: How much 0-40-0 fertilizer to apply - 03/14/23 05:46 PM
Your alkalinity is good for fertilizer to work. Go very slow with the 0-40-0 application and put it on platforms etc. (not on the dirt). I would start with only 5 lbs total split in 2 locations. Watch water clarity carefully. If after 2 weeks, you see no change in clarity add 5 more lbs. Until you know how your water reacts go very slowly with fertilization. Just because you can't see the changes does not mean that plankton #s have not increased dramatically.
Posted By: GAR Re: How much 0-40-0 fertilizer to apply - 03/14/23 05:57 PM
Great thanks
© Pond Boss Forum