Pond Boss
Posted By: Blake Supplemental bass stocking in a river section - 01/28/20 06:18 PM
Here's an oddball question I've been pondering. I live on a section of river that is constant level (one end being a lake dam tailrace and the other end being a low water dam. It's about 60 acres total water. Super low fishing pressure, the bass fishing is decent but very few quality fish are caught. Not great numbers either. I don't think the population ratios are out of whack, the forage numbers are very good. I'm thinking because it has never been stocked with anything that it might be a genetics issue. If I started doing some supplemental stocking of some florida strain or F1, could it eventually make any difference in quality?
Blake how often do you have high water events that would allow the fish to leave?
it all depends on the lake upstream. it fluctuates in water level quite a bit, it'll stay below pool for extended times (months to years), then we'll get a ton of rain and the lake will fill up and go over pool. when that happens, they release water for extended periods (up to months at a time). but to answer your question, not very often. maybe once every couple years.
© Pond Boss Forum