Pond Boss
Posted By: xraytrapper how late in year to stock fish? - 10/27/17 04:04 AM
I was supposed to pickup my SMB from jones fish oct 14th. Well the date has been pushed back again and now I can't get them until around mid November. They will be delivering them now so they have free delivery over $300. How late in the year is it ok to stock SMB, HSB and two grass carp?

My pond is a year old and 3/4 acre in west central ohio. I was going to only stock 15 SMB and I already have 8 small 5-7" HSB in pond stocked in the spring. I was planning to add more SMB next fall but is it ok to stock 20 or 25 now(12 5-7" and 8 3-5") and 4 more HSB 8-10 " ? Don't want to overload the predator fish too early. I also have some YP to 11" and 8" HBG. I figured I would just meet the minimum for free shipping. I also plan to stock 5 lbs or so of rosy reds for a different forage fish and to meet the $300 price. Are the rosy reds comparable to a FHM? Already have plentiful amount of GSH and FHM and crayfish. Fish are fed high protein pellets nightly also. Pond aerator installed few weeks ago.
thanks for any help.
Posted By: snrub Re: how late in year to stock fish? - 10/27/17 04:42 AM
I can not help you with the SMB but rosy reds are FHM's. They are a recessive natural coloration of FHM that are bred to make a strain of colored FHM's.

FHM's are normally just "starter" fish. Stocked to get the fingerling predators off to a good start. They get wiped out with few remaining after about a year after predators are introduced. They normally are not a long term forage source.
© Pond Boss Forum