Pond Boss
Posted By: Warrior Coach What to do? - 06/05/14 05:20 PM
I experienced a winter kill on 3/8 acre pond. I have tried feeding and seen only 2 small lmb and 1 large cc. How do I remove the remaining fish so that I can start over. What should I do as far as restocking is concerned.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What to do? - 06/05/14 05:54 PM
Hey Warrior sorry to hear that bud. First thing comes to mind is do your have air in your pond? If not you may want to spend your money on a system first so this same thing don't happen to you again.

If you do have air, did you have an air station running in the shallows of your pond during winter to keep part of it open? If not you need to do that before next winter.

There are a lot of links on here about stocking and how much and what depending on your size pond. Look under the Corrective Stocking section you may find what you need right there.

Good Luck
RC
Posted By: Warrior Coach Re: What to do? - 06/05/14 08:33 PM
I have a system like yours.Yes it was open except for a 10 day period when it was cold enough that it froze totally.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What to do? - 06/05/14 08:55 PM
Ok so were you running your system in deep water? Or do you have a fuser in shallow water? Here is why I ask.

1. If you were running it in shallow water 3 feet or so you should not have froze over?? I wouldn't think anyway? I don't deal woit those kind of cold temps so I can't say for sure??? Maybe someone else can.

2. If you were running it in deep water you can create a super cooling effect on your water and you may have killed your fish because of that?

Lets say your pond is 10 feet deep then you need to have a fuser in about 3 feet of water for the winter time. Most guys will tell you they will run that thing 24/7 in the winter when it's real cold so it don't freeze over.

And if you did all things right then you know what they say Shi.. happens sometimes. I think I lost all 25 of my HSB. I have only caught 1 this year? Sometimes it's just bad luck!

RC
© Pond Boss Forum