Pond Boss
Posted By: NEDOC 20 acre lake ?'s - 10/11/04 06:48 PM
I have a 20 acre lake that has been overtaken by carp and some catfish. Very little vegetation d/t the carp but some cattails are getting started. Very poor water quality in summer but not bad in fall and winter.(8-12 in. clarity at best)

I also have a 1 acre pond right next to it that does support game fish. It is fairly clean with some largemouth and bluegill.

I am going to try raising wipers for 1 year in my small pond and moving them to the 20-acre pond after they reach the 12-16in. range. I will feed them in the smaller pond and continue to do so in the larger pond.

I am willing to put in several hundred wipers per year in the larger pond. Will the wipers help get rid of my carp or am I wasting my time and money?

The 20-acre pond does support some crappie and bluegill. I am hoping they ravage everything in sight and I can restock it with LMB once the carp population decreases. Actually, I will be throwing some LMB in as I need to do some selective harvest in the small pond.
Posted By: Lou Heron Re: 20 acre lake ?'s - 10/13/04 04:26 AM
My goodness, NEDOC, I hope a wiper in Nebraska is different from a wiper in Alabama. When I am going to need a wiper, I get off the pond and go to the house! As far as I know, none of my fish use wipers, either. Maybe they would be happier, though, if they had access to wipers when they needed them. But how do you solve the no hands problem for them?

By the way, my wife will kill me if she knows I posted this, but she is a bit leery of eating fish from the pond because "they tee-tee in the water." In her defense, she is a transplanted city girl. I think she may also suspect that after I have been fishing, the pond contains some yellow water of human origin–but she doesn't ask and I don't tell. I am already in enough trouble for putting my granddaughters (who love to fish and to eat their catch) ashore in the woods for #1. One of the younger ones figured that if she could go outdoors in the country, she could go outdoors in her yard. Of course, she got caught and invoked granddaddy as her higher authority for the convenient open air/drip-dry approach.
Lou
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: 20 acre lake ?'s - 10/13/04 02:22 PM
Lou, Had to laugh about the Grandkids. I taught my 3 year old Grandson that he didn't have to go to the house when we were in the country. Well, the next day he was on the playground at Day Care and got started. He told his Teacher that I told him it was called "airing it out". The Teacher didn't even bother calling ny daughter. She called me directly about coming to school and having a talk with him. Appears that, since I said it, he thought it was worth arguing about.
Posted By: ilovefishingmark Re: 20 acre lake ?'s - 10/25/04 09:59 PM
Lou, Dave...great posts. brought me a good laugh right at the end of my long work day. always great to walk out of my office laughing!

Dave, as i have said before, little "partner" is lucky to have a mentor/superhero like you.

ilovefishingmark
Posted By: brah Re: 20 acre lake ?'s - 05/23/20 04:32 AM
How did that work out for you?
Originally Posted by NEDOC
I have a 20 acre lake that has been overtaken by carp and some catfish. Very little vegetation d/t the carp but some cattails are getting started. Very poor water quality in summer but not bad in fall and winter.(8-12 in. clarity at best)

I also have a 1 acre pond right next to it that does support game fish. It is fairly clean with some largemouth and bluegill.

I am going to try raising wipers for 1 year in my small pond and moving them to the 20-acre pond after they reach the 12-16in. range. I will feed them in the smaller pond and continue to do so in the larger pond.

I am willing to put in several hundred wipers per year in the larger pond. Will the wipers help get rid of my carp or am I wasting my time and money?

The 20-acre pond does support some crappie and bluegill. I am hoping they ravage everything in sight and I can restock it with LMB once the carp population decreases. Actually, I will be throwing some LMB in as I need to do some selective harvest in the small pond.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: 20 acre lake ?'s - 04/18/22 02:57 PM
Depending upon how quickly it would refill, I wonder if it might be worth draining / possible to drain your 20 acre lake.
© Pond Boss Forum