Pond Boss
Posted By: DCagle Stocking problem with new lake - 06/25/04 02:32 AM
I have a new 2.5 to 3 acre lake. 1 month ago, I stocked with 500 fingerling redear, 2000 fingerling Buegills, 2000 fathead minnows, and 250 channel cats 2-3 inches from a local hatchery. I was also planning to add 250 LMB 2-3 inches in the fall. The problem is I have found new bluegill fry around the edges. I think someone has added adult bluegill from my other lake. Will this change when or how many LMB I should add to make a balanced population. This is my first post. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Stocking problem with new lake - 06/25/04 12:36 PM
I don't see a problem. Sounds like you got a BG spawn. Heck, even if someone did put a couple or more large BG in, it won't hurt anything.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Stocking problem with new lake - 06/26/04 12:44 AM
I agree with Dave, but would be concerned if bg was the only thing they stocked for you. ... I doubt it.
Posted By: Zach Re: Stocking problem with new lake - 07/06/04 04:38 PM
How big were the bluegill you put in? if they are 3inches or bigger they are able to spawn.
Posted By: DCagle Re: Stocking problem with new lake - 07/07/04 10:49 PM
The BG were 1 to 1 1/2 inches long that were stocked from the hatchery. They are up to 2 to 2 1/2 inches now. Do you think I should go ahead and stock the bas now that there is new BG spawn.
Posted By: DCagle Re: Stocking problem with new lake - 07/07/04 10:50 PM
The BG were 1 to 1 1/2 inches long that were stocked from the hatchery. They are up to 2 to 2 1/2 inches now. Do you think I should go ahead and stock the bas now that there is new BG spawn.
Posted By: Eastland Re: Stocking problem with new lake - 07/07/04 11:49 PM
I know this isn't what you want to hear...but if you want to do things right, let it sit. Your forage base needs to grow all the way into next year. That gives you two options. 1) At the end of February stock adult bass for the spring spawn, or 2) (which is more common) stock 1" - 3" bass early May. Bottom line, don't put in the predators until you see fish everywhere along the banks. The Advanced method gives mature bass the chance to spawn before the bgill, bgill won't dare approach the bed. The Fingerling method introduces juvenile bass about 1/2 month before the bgill spawn. Both methods work, it depends on your resources. Most of all, be PATIENT !
© Pond Boss Forum