Pond Boss
Posted By: meat Turtles - 05/17/04 02:43 PM
I was curious if turtles cause any problems in ponds. I believe we have some sizable snappers in my pond and need to know if they should be removed. Thanks for the info.

Meat
Revelation 3:20
Posted By: Eastland Re: Turtles - 05/17/04 05:36 PM
There have been several posts on turtles, give the search a try. For the most part, the general concensus is that they don't really eat your fish except for dead ones, and those left on stringers. But, some of the larger ones often have moss growing on their back which could spread undesireables as they travel from pond to pond. Personally I welcome them and enjoy shooting their heads off with a .22 magnum. \:\)
Posted By: bc Re: Turtles - 05/20/04 04:23 PM
Amen eastland , they only thing they are good for is target practice, get rid of them they act like big ole catfish and constantly stir the mud, as for eating fish I am sure they do. Ever seen anyone catch them? they use fish on big ole hooks.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Turtles - 05/21/04 01:18 AM
The biggest problem I have with turtles is the holes they dig to winter over in. We have fairly shallow banks around most of our pond. The worst zones have a collapsed turtle hole every ten feet or so. We had one dig into the dam last fall - that hole I collapsed, filled, tamped, and resodded. The other holes are still on my list.
© Pond Boss Forum