Pond Boss
Hey guys,

I have pond that we stock last fall with coppernosed bluegill and I was curious if I could expect a spawn this spring or if it will take another year? I am planning on putting out my first dose of fertilizer this weekend and the fish feeder will be put out next week to help aid in their growth. Thanks.

-lee-
Lee, The bluegill only have to be 3.5 inches to be sexually mature. They should spawn this summer as soon as water temps get high enough. This is pretty much what you are shooting for so the newly stocked bass will have something to eat by mid Summer. I should have mentioned try to find the smallest pellets you can. Not starter pellets though they are too small for the feeder. Purina Game Chow has five sizes in the bag including three small sizes that the bluegill can eat right now. Thanks for the order!
greg,

i bought a purina fish food(although I don't think it is game chow) that is very small pellets.....almost the size of an eraser. I'll see how that stuff works out and if after a couple of bags it doesn't work very well then I may switch to something else. Thanks again.

-lee-
L.i.Memphis - look on the fish food bag and give us the specific name and any numbers on the fish food bag. Then we will know exactly what type food you have.
© Pond Boss Forum