Pond Boss
Posted By: rtrentjack Adding a few more fish? - 03/24/08 04:38 PM
I have an existing pond 2/3 of an acre about 5-8 ft deep. Stocked in 2004 with (80) 3" BG, 250 fatheads 1200 gambusia. I let all of these baitfish breed for one year. In late 2005, put in (30) 5" bass, (50) 3" BG and (50) med tilapia and 300 "sailfin - mollys" . Nothing put into tank since then. Caught a 20 inch, 4.5 lb LMB Saturday, I estimate to be 29 months old. I was considering of putting in 20-30 more tilapia and 50 more med BG. What does the forum think. I live near Pearsall, TX.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Adding a few more fish? - 03/24/08 06:57 PM
What kind of shape is your BG forage base in? If you have BG present in a variety of year classes, I can't see a pressing reason to add more BG.

Forgive this dumb Yankee's ignorance of Lone Star geography, but are you so far South in TX that Tilapia overwinter successfully?
Posted By: rtrentjack Re: Adding a few more fish? - 03/24/08 10:43 PM
Yes, it appears that i have a multi-aged class of BG. The Bass that I caught on Saturday was right in line with the relative weight charts. The tilapia have diminished somewhat as I don't see them as often or in as great a number as in the past at the feeder, but i do consistently see about 8-10. I have not replinished the tilipia since 2005. I have a pump next to the tank (pond for our northern friends)that keeps the level topped off and I think that it keeps the water alittle warmer as well.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Adding a few more fish? - 03/24/08 11:50 PM
That should set the situation up good for some Texas-based advice.
Posted By: ewest Re: Adding a few more fish? - 03/25/08 01:25 AM
It all depends on your current situation as it relates to pond carrying capacity. Is your pond fertile (green water spring through fall) ? Do you feed pellets ? If you have maintained the same status (no fertilizer and no feeding or yes fert or feeding) for 2 years and don't harvest to many fish you are probably at capacity. If so then it is not simply a matter of adding fish but rather managing the population present.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Adding a few more fish? - 03/25/08 09:47 AM
South Texas had a warmer than average winter this year and many pond owners carried over tilapia. They shoud replenish themselves in a hurry. Topping off with well water may be the key to your tilapia survival. If you have a good forage base and water quality, I think you would be in pretty good shape. Are you keeping records of catches and observations? That will make a big difference.
© Pond Boss Forum