Pond Boss
Posted By: John C Accurate Fish Scale - 04/19/23 09:56 PM
I am in the process of evaluating my population of LMB and BG for culling. The fish scale I currently have is a Rapala which is accurate when weighing objects over 2 lbs. Having tested it on various weights I found as an example, a 1 1/4 lb weight scales in at 1 lb 9 ounces, while 3 lbs of weight is spot on. I would like to accurately assign the RW to smaller fish like the BGs. What do you recommend to accurately weight fish?

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Accurate Fish Scale - 04/19/23 11:27 PM
Look at baby scales. Most give you options from grams to pounds, and are very accurate. Wet the tray before you lay fish in them.
Posted By: DrewSh Re: Accurate Fish Scale - 04/20/23 02:27 PM
Presumably, taking it a bit further, one could get a small container of water, place it on the scale, tare it down to 0, then place the fish in the water to weigh it as well? I'm liking this idea for handling my beloved "friends."
Posted By: gehajake Re: Accurate Fish Scale - 04/20/23 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by John C
I am in the process of evaluating my population of LMB and BG for culling. The fish scale I currently have is a Rapala which is accurate when weighing objects over 2 lbs. Having tested it on various weights I found as an example, a 1 1/4 lb weight scales in at 1 lb 9 ounces, while 3 lbs of weight is spot on. I would like to accurately assign the RW to smaller fish like the BGs. What do you recommend to accurately weight fish?

Thanks for your help!

Can you post the model of your scale? I been looking all my life for a fish scale that tilts in my favor like that. can you imagine all the stories I could have by this point in my life with a scale like that! tia
Posted By: J. E. Craig Re: Accurate Fish Scale - 08/13/23 10:42 AM
I am looking for an accurate hand held fish scale for relative weights for both LMB & BG. I am now using a Weight Watchers scale that seems to be accurate in grams & tenths of an once. I would like one as accurate but the old hang the fish type. Saw something in the $35 range but I want the accuracy in tenths of an ounce. I am going to look on eBay, perhaps get a used WW scale & keep the one I have in the Kitchen where it belongs.
Posted By: esshup Re: Accurate Fish Scale - 08/14/23 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by J. E. Craig
I am looking for an accurate hand held fish scale for relative weights for both LMB & BG. I am now using a Weight Watchers scale that seems to be accurate in grams & tenths of an once. I would like one as accurate but the old hang the fish type. Saw something in the $35 range but I want the accuracy in tenths of an ounce. I am going to look on eBay, perhaps get a used WW scale & keep the one I have in the Kitchen where it belongs.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bre...e_Fish_Scale_55lb/descpage-BRECKMLF.html

Just remember not to hang very large fish from their jaw. Smaller fish can be put in a wet plastic shopping bag, hung and then released.
Posted By: DrewSh Re: Accurate Fish Scale - 08/14/23 03:21 PM
Has anybody had any experience with Frabill's Witness Net yet? It has a build in scale that weighs the fish in the net bag. I've been interested in this, but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it (especially with panfish).
© Pond Boss Forum