Pond Boss
Posted By: bassman_67 Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 03:31 PM
Hey guys. Just seeing if anyone wants to help with evaluate dads pond down in SE Nebraska? Or is there a better way that it can be done than just getting a lot of ppl together and fish for them?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 03:45 PM
Sounds like you are in the proximity of TJ, I'll get him to add in here but right now, shocking is most effective-as far as handling fish. If you're fishing to sample, have a 5 gal bucket with salt dip with you to dip each fish after handling, it's getting warm enough it can be quite stressful to them during times of heavy pressure.
Posted By: ewest Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 03:59 PM
How about a seine survey?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 04:16 PM
I would agree with a seine sample if care is taken handling fish. Probably more thorough in the long run-better representation.
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 06:03 PM
What is a seine sample?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by bassman_67
What is a seine sample?

A 'seine' is a large net that you pull through the water. It's usually a long horizontal band of net that is manned at either end, and you 'walk' it towards a narrow shoreline to contain the fish corralled by the seine.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 05/31/22 09:05 PM
What is a seine sample?

Not recommended if you have alligators. That would be in seine!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/01/22 12:12 AM
bassman,

How big is your pond? How much fishing pressure does it receive?

(If your pond is small and receives a lot of fishing pressure, then you may have "hook shy" fish that will be difficult to sample by angling.)

Yes, the fish experts above have given you "better" ways to evaluate your dad's pond.

However, getting a big group of buddies together to "sample" the pond by fishing will be the most fun method of evaluation! grin

A dad with little kids might use small hooks and worms and get a good sample of your panfish. Some hardcore bass fisherman may work several different methods to sample your bass population. Then you might need some catfish people to specifically angle for those fish, because the cats can have a significant impact on your fish population, but not be sampled without specific targeting.

I personally like your "fishing derby" idea. However, if that doesn't work you can move onto seining or pay for a shock survey. Seining is not rocket science, but there are some experienced people on the forum that are capable of doing a 1000% better job at it than I could - so experience does make a difference.

(I did volunteer to help out some people on the forum on one of their seining jobs. I provided some free labor, and in return I learned about seining and met some really good people!)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/01/22 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by anthropic
What is a seine sample?

Not recommended if you have alligators. That would be in seine!

He'll be here all week!!! Try the veal....
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/01/22 12:58 PM
It's veally good.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/01/22 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sunil
What is a seine sample?

A 'seine' is a large net that you pull through the water. It's usually a long horizontal band of net that is manned at either end, and you 'walk' it towards a narrow shoreline to contain the fish corralled by the seine.
Floats on the top, weights on the bottom.

There's a bit of technique involved; I would bet there are videos on Youtube showing how. Or you can do like me, and see what brings on the most fish (sadly, this was way before I saw PB experts demonstrate seining at Table Rock Lake, Missouri).
Posted By: ewest Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/01/22 10:26 PM
See this link at pg 16 + to learn about seine sampling

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/1722/mississippi_pond_mgmt_revised_feb_2016.pdf
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/01/22 10:58 PM
I clicked on ewest's link and realized that pond guide book is already saved to my favorites.

Everyone on Pond Boss that is not already an expert, should probably save that publication. It's contents cover about 90% of the questions that get asked on Pond Boss.
Posted By: Retired on 40 Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/02/22 12:47 AM
Wes Neal not only revised this edition of the guide book (Fifth edition revised by Dr. Wes Neal, Associate Extension Professor, Wildlife, Fisheries, and Aquaculture) but he also usually has an article in each issue of Pond Boss magazine; good reason to subscribe!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Anyone wanna help evaluate? - 06/02/22 02:48 AM
Retired, thanks for solving that mystery!

The guidebook appears to me to be written to literally answer the most common questions posed on Pond Boss.
© Pond Boss Forum