Pond Boss
Posted By: Johnny MAX I have too many small bass! - 06/22/21 07:38 PM
I originally wanted black crappie to be the main predator in my pond, but they did not make it when I stocked it originally.
Birds stocked it with Largemouth Bass and they have never been too high in population, but something changed.
I had some algae or moss start growing thick along one shoreline. I think the added protection caused the bass and brim to flourish.
My pond is under 1/2 acre BTW.
I whittled down a stick, added a hook and started casting it yesterday evening.
No matter where I threw it there was a hit. For evert 10 casts there were 8 hits. Not kidding!
Any way, originally I was going to catch all the bass hand size and over and stock Black Crappie in the Fall, until I saw how many bass there were.

I have resolved to stick with bass, catfish and bluegill.
Any advice on how to handle the little Bass?
I know there is catfish feed, but can you feed bass dry food?
I don't want to be feeding them live food either $$$
Thoughts?

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com][Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached picture baby bass.jpg
Attached picture baby bass2.jpg
Posted By: Matzilla Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/22/21 08:13 PM
Bass will eat the bluegill - you'd have an uphill battle feed training those bass but it is possible. Get a good fish food and start tossing out a couple handfuls in the same place, same time, each day and watch for fish eating it. The bluegill might take to feed sooner than the bass.
Posted By: Johnny MAX Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/22/21 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Matzilla
Bass will eat the bluegill - you'd have an uphill battle feed training those bass but it is possible. Get a good fish food and start tossing out a couple handfuls in the same place, same time, each day and watch for fish eating it. The bluegill might take to feed sooner than the bass.

Well the way they were hitting everything. I think they are very hungry. I will get some feed and try, but I am not sure I can get them to eat pellet food.
When I had a bass in my aquarium years ago I had to buy live food.
Posted By: blue_green_spark Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/22/21 09:52 PM
I tried to feed the bass in our pond but they hang out below all the action and then nail the little bluegills, mollies, and tilapia while they are busy eating the pellets. A big silver flash and the surviving baitfish raining across the surface.
Posted By: crimsondave Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/22/21 10:58 PM
The answer is mass murder. Fish it HARD and pull them all that are under X number inches. I did 14" last year others do different sizes but the solution is the same. Eat them or cut them up and throw them back in. Bass will eat cut fish (especially if they are hungry) and they have no problem eating other bass. I catch as many LMB on cut bait as I do live bait and I way more than I do on lures. You can just throw them on the bank too if you don't want to mess with them.
Posted By: Johnny MAX Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/22/21 11:22 PM
My original plan was to catch all of them that are hand size or bigger so I could stock black crappie in the fall. I thought about paying the Grand-Monsters a dollar a bass, then I saw how many they're are!!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 12:16 AM
Stock larger BCP that your bass can’t eat. I’ve got bass that eat 8-9” BCP......
Posted By: Johnny MAX Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 12:36 AM
I will get larger BCP. Not that I can't afford it, but I had such hard times in my past I have a hard time letting loose of money. I am at the pond now. Threw food out... The turtles love it! I need to built a turtles trap or come out here with my 22. Which would be more fun... trap is the PC answer right?
Posted By: crimsondave Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny MAX
I will get larger BCP. Not that I can't afford it, but I had such hard times in my past I have a hard time letting loose of money. I am at the pond now. Threw food out... The turtles love it! I need to built a turtles trap or come out here with my 22. Which would be more fun... trap is the PC answer right?

Maybe so, but even at elevated prices lead is cheaper.
Posted By: Johnny MAX Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 01:30 AM
Read between the lines... 22
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 02:07 AM
Turtles are nature’s cleanup crews. I welcome them .they also help keep unwanted vegetation down. Had one that was brave enough to wait for pellets that I flipped to it,they gotta be quick or the BG will snatch it away from them
Posted By: anthropic Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny MAX
My original plan was to catch all of them that are hand size or bigger so I could stock black crappie in the fall. I thought about paying the Grand-Monsters a dollar a bass, then I saw how many they're are!!

You might try some really large pellets designed for larger bass, too. Optimal makes a hand thrown 1 inch pellet that I've found the LMB, HSB, and RBT all love. Even the largest BG can't handle it, however.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Stock larger BCP that your bass can’t eat. I’ve got bass that eat 8-9” BCP......
And that is why you have those extra-large LMB. smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 12:51 PM
I shot some turtles this year for the first time ever. I like the idea of them being the clean up crew. But, in my 2 + acre pond, I counted 25+ eating pellets. I murdered all but about 6 or 7.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 02:17 PM
I had a bunch, 20+, painted turtles that were feed trained on our pond. For whatever reason, they are almost all gone. If you feed from a boat you can easily net the turtles once they come for feed. Then you can relocate them
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: I have too many small bass! - 06/23/21 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by TGW1
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
And that is why you have those extra-large LMB. smile

But I didn’t want LMB at all! Just crappie.... lol now there is hardly any BCP at all left. So guess the only thing to do with all these lemons is make a bunch of lemonade....
© Pond Boss Forum