Pond Boss
Posted By: CityDad How much does a fish eat in a year? - 03/03/21 04:11 AM
I knew a Bass needs to eat 10-20 lbs to GROW, but what about just to maintain? I can't find that number in google.

Situation that brought this up:
My new house has a ~2 acre city pond. Max is probably 6'
It's got a population of fish, frogs, and at least 1 gator.

Neighbor told me he's put at least 3- 10 pounders in it (lets say they are 5 bc old man lying about his fish size).

I'm actually concerned they would starve. I think I saw one chasing baitfish around the other day.

Strongly considering catching them and moving them to my pond so they dont eat this one bare and then die.

Thoughts?
Posted By: esshup Re: How much does a fish eat in a year? - 03/03/21 05:40 AM
Big bass get big by knowing where to go and when to go there to catch fish to eat. Put them in a new pond and they struggle, and will lose weight.

Think back when you were growing up. No internet, no google. You knew where the grocery store was, where the local gas station was, where to go to get whatever you needed, and where NOT to go.

Now go to a new place to live. How long without internet/google would it take you to learn all the things you knew where you grew up?

The gator may just find those bass before you do.
Posted By: CityDad Re: How much does a fish eat in a year? - 03/03/21 03:52 PM
So putting them in my private pond is the only humane thing to do! smile
Posted By: esshup Re: How much does a fish eat in a year? - 03/04/21 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by CityDad
So putting them in my private pond is the only humane thing to do! smile

Not if you plan on stocking fish in the pond later. All the fish that you stock would be fair game to become snacks to the bass..... But if you like feeding expensive snacks to the bass, then by all means, go right ahead!!
© Pond Boss Forum