Pond Boss
Posted By: New Guy DIY Electroshocking? - 02/01/21 03:31 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed - I did a quick search and didn't find anything.
I have 3 small ponds (~1/4ac) and a larger pond of about 10ac. I'm trying to drain and sein two of the smaller ponds and transfer bluegill and +14" bass to the big pond. Once I have them fairly cleaned out I intend to kill them off and restart these as breeder ponds for bluegill and bass to feed the larger pond.
My problem is that the bottom of the pond is very mucky and there are old logs etc in the bottom so my seining efforts resulted in some overtopped waders and a very cold swim to retrieve the sein net.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of the small electroshock units (backpack or boat mounted)?
Thanks for any help and please direct me to any old threads on this if it has been discussed previously.
Posted By: highflyer Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/01/21 04:04 PM
First off, welcome new guy.

You are in Freestone county Tx, the home of Overton's. Look them up and I bet Todd and his team can help you out. They have all the equipment and expertise to get the job done right.

Having Todd do the job will save you time, effort, and you won't have the hazard of swimming with electricity!

Also, I don't think you will need a brood pond for Bass unless you are going to selectively harvest your best bass from you 10 acre pond. I would use both 1/4 acre ponds for CNBG production.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/01/21 10:05 PM
Hey Chris
I need to get rid of 3-4K BG if you want to come catch them
Posted By: highflyer Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/01/21 10:31 PM
Pat,

CNBG? Which genetics? Overtons?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/01/21 10:35 PM
Brian
There is a mixture..... lots of CNBG from overtons and native BG, just to many in here stopping crappie and LMB from spawning
Posted By: highflyer Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/02/21 07:50 PM
Pat, are you pulling any of them?

That way you get to pick the ones that stay by the ones you toss back. The others can be snackers for the LMB
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/02/21 10:04 PM
Pulling any what? BG? Haven’t started yet.... always behind it seems . BCP seem to be gone.....big ole LMB put the hurt on them before I could get them big enough to filet....and there were a lot 8” but not now
Posted By: anthropic Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/02/21 10:28 PM
Wow, Pat. LMB that can swallow an 8 inch crappie are exactly what many pondmeisters would love!
Posted By: CityDad Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/03/21 01:51 PM
Hey pat, ship any unwanted bluegill down here to florida!
Posted By: RAH Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/03/21 01:59 PM
The title to this thread sounds dangerous:)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16957542/
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/03/21 11:23 PM
Not me I want to swallow them not LMB... lol that’s why I’m relocating all big LMB to neighbors 25 acre pond. And anyone that wants BG can come get them
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/03/21 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by CityDad
Hey pat, ship any unwanted bluegill down here to florida!
Lol doubt they could survive USPS......
Posted By: Matzilla Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/04/21 06:14 PM
Interested as well....there is no way to get an electrofishing boat into my pond but I would be awesome to do a backpack survey
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/04/21 06:30 PM
From what little I have read about the backpack style units...they are best suited for shallow waters like creeks. Mo Consevation Dept uses them a lot for creek minnow surveys. I guess they would work around the shoreline, but the commotion of walking through would run off most of my pond fish before you got there.

Just my 2¢
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/05/21 12:19 PM
I tried the DIY electro shocking a long time ago. It was home built. I would about as soon try a DIY vasectomy as that again.
Posted By: ewest Re: DIY Electroshocking? - 02/05/21 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
From what little I have read about the backpack style units...they are best suited for shallow waters like creeks. Mo Consevation Dept uses them a lot for creek minnow surveys..

Exactly right ! Back pack units are way to small/weak to survey ponds.
© Pond Boss Forum